Vitamins - this and that - take your vitamins

PeteA
on 8/1/16 8:50 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Just finished loading my organizers for the next two months. It always gives me a sense of satisfaction to be prepared. Just that kind of personality I guess.

I'm pretty laid back about vitamins now after 3.5 years. The only real reason my vitamin schedule gets upended is if I have surgery or some other medical reason. Aside from that it has to be an extraordinary day for me not to get everything in. (like once or twice a year).

I spent the first 6 months absolutely panicked about the whole vitamin thing. It eventually passed with more research, common sense, and the comfort of watching my labs either remain stead or respond to changes in my vitamin taking. I spent a lot of time f figuring out the right Vitamin D dosage to keep me in the 50's and the 60's. SPent some time in the weeds of the argument about just how high it needed to be but I'm comfortable where I ended up. I eventually upped A, K, and iron (off and on).

I'm always amazed at the different ways people work out their vits. Sometime after 6 months I bought my first med-center vitamin organizer. Before then things were just too chaotic to think about planning a month in advance. At maybe 18 months I added a second one and now I play around with the idea of a third but really I think it's overkill.

The issue is to find what helps you keep track that you have taken everything you should have.

I got my smart phone about a year ago and have found the reminders a useful tool to keep me on track for my vits. Even when my schedule is off it is just as easy to look at the reminder and know, oh today I'm taking everything an hour later because I overslept or had to take a dose later than planned because of a meal or meeting.

Anyway, for the new people the thought is - it gets easier. For the older people - don't get lax......   And that is new and old in DS years.  

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

NoreenRT
on 8/1/16 5:59 pm - Warner Robins, GA

Thanks for sharing Pete. It's always good to hear how another DSer handles the mandatory vitamin regime. It's part of our life.

Noreen  HW 352 / SW 324 / CW 175/ LW/ 148 / GW 150   (achieved Aug 14 '11)

PeteA
on 8/1/16 9:14 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Absolutely. I just didn't understand early on that it would get so much easier to integrate over time. I think that is what I would like newbies to understand.

(deactivated member)
on 8/1/16 9:13 pm

I had to take some meds for a UTI infection related to kidney stones this week, and followed advice from one of your prior posts about putting away the vitamins when necessary,  and prioritizing immediate health & prescribed meds.

Usually, I just take the vitamins in 2 batches; 1 heavier in the morning, and one lighter in the evening. Today I skipped both since I just finished the prescription meds. Generally, as long as you follow the program, I think some occasional variation is not a big deal, but everyone has to figure out what works for them.

PeteA
on 8/1/16 9:20 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I think that's right. The twin ideas behind being observant with your vits is. of course, health, but also the ability to skip in extraordinary cir****tances without worrying about it. Deficeincies don't happen in a day and really don't happen over several weeks as long as you have a good base to start from.

Petunia
on 8/2/16 4:34 am

I also use a monthly organizer, a second would come in handy since I order all my vitamins and they can take awhile to get.  I'll be 10 years out next month and over the years my vitamin routine has changed.  I use to do the daily thing before I got my large monthly container.  A couple months ago I switched over to a liquid vitamin routine but found it not to my liking.  I went back to my regular vitamins but instead of 4 times daily I went to 3 times daily and find I'm not missing doses like I was.  It is an ever changing routine.

I also switched to using Upcal D for my calcium and while I enjoy taking that over the pills it is a challenge in other ways, mainly constipation.  Once I figure that out all will be good, for now.  :)

I wish more would share their routine, you just never know what will help and make it easier for someone.  

Ruby

PeteA
on 8/2/16 5:10 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Bravo for  working to find the right routine to get all your vits in. I recently moved a lot of my non-calcium vits to the morning because  I think it is easier to get my calcium doses in throughout the day without having to think about most of the other vits.

It's too bad you found the Upcal-D constipating. I've seen other people go that route to avoid that problem. I'm always amazed at the different reactions people can have to different brands and types of calcium. It must have something to do with the different fillers but who can tell.

Pete

(deactivated member)
on 8/2/16 10:41 am

I also thought about trying the Upcal D as I saw an old post that recommended it and suggested it reduces flatulance but can cause constipation.

Instead I've been using Devrom the past few weeks which also cause some constipation, but after a few day the flatulance is substantially reduced. 

The constipation is limited for me so I'm still using the Devrom but not the full daily dosage.

Petunia
on 8/3/16 3:55 am

I love the flavor of the Upcal D in milk, almost like a treat so I find myself looking forward to it.  I'm still working on the constipation, I stopped at the local health food store yesterday and the girl suggestion a powder magnesium to take before bed.  That seemed to work well this morning, I'll give it a few more days to see if it continues.  

I do ok with the gas as long as I don't eat any onions, beans or sugar before dinner time.  I figure after that I'll be asleep.  :)

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 114 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 658 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 234 views