Wanting to get the vsg sleeve operation ...

Big_sauce_604
on 8/14/16 9:38 am

This is all New to me. I've struggled with weight loss my whole life... I was very active playing sports. Rugby, hockey... Weight loss has never been easy for me to control. I'm at a point where I'm in chronic pain, can't sleep, high blood pressure, fatigued, bindge eater, shortness of breath, and falling apart. I'm 28 yrs and weigh 370. I'm considering the vsg sleeve surgery. I am considering going to Mexico and using Dr. Juan Francisco Hidalgo in Puerto Vallarta to complete this surgery. Has anyone used him? I've read up on him a lot and ppls stories and they all seem positive. I have spoken to there suport staff that has walked me threw how everything would work... Just feel apprehensive... What is recovery like? When can I go back to work? When can I start working out? What's the long term effects ppl have been feeling or noticing? Anyone experience permanent acid reflex? 

Would love to hear from u all to gain extra knowledge before making a life long change....

PattyL
on 8/14/16 11:42 am

At 28 and almost 400lbs it's not likely the VSG or any purely restrictive surgery is going to help you much long term.  You will most likely lose weight and then regain.  Success with restrictive surgeries depends on your ability to live on a very low calorie diet long term.  How have diets worked for you?  If the answer is not well, it's because you would do much better with restriction and malabsorbtion.  In other words, the DS.

Talk to Dr. Esquerra in Mexicali.  He is the go to person in MX.  His opinion is valuable because he does both these surgeries.

Do a LOT more research and get the surgery YOU need.  Remember, surgeons are human beings and they will sell you on the surgery THEY do.  Always follow the money.  The salesperson at Toyota is going to sell you a Toyota even though he knows there is a Nissan down the street that would better meet your needs.

Best advice...think twice, cut once!

larra
on 8/14/16 1:17 pm - bay area, CA

I agree with what Patty said, but would add that if you still have a problem with binge eating, it would be best to work on that pre-op. No matter what operation you have, all of them include restriction to one degree of another, which means that you would not be able to binge eat. You can still defeat any operation by eating frequently and/or eating high calorie and carbs, but physically you would not be able to binge, and whatever issues you are dealing with by binge eating you need to find another, healthier way to deal with them now. If not, when you suddenly find yourself unable to binge, you are going to have these issue****ting you in the face.

And Mexico - definitely Dr. Esquerra.

Larra

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 8/14/16 9:09 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Forget the sleeve - you need the DS and, as suggested by someone else, get counseling for the binge-eating.  I found the pre-op 'diet' much easier mentally because I knew at the end of it would be the surgery and just the promise of surgery made the pre-op requirements easier to do.  You may also find that the promise of WLS will help you find other ways to cope than binge-eating.  Do not expect to work through binge-eating on your own, find a pro to help you. 

You only have one 'best chance' at the surgery working the best for you - yes, there are revisions, but not all are successful. 

If you really want the sleeve - then ask if the sleeve or the RNY is an easier revision to DS, if needed down the road. 

Take a deep breath - there is help for you.  I was such a diet failure that I really did not think WLS would work for me until I had lost 25 pounds in the first two months. I followed my surgeon's post-op instructions 100% for the first 6 months and then had 2 planned special occasions and then followed again 100% until I reached my dream goal weight. 

I had RNY and they fixed a hernia in my esophagus and my heartburn STOPPED!!  Check, but I think the sleeve may make heartburn worse.  

Sharon

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 8/15/16 5:25 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Well in spite of what some have said on this board, you can lose the weight & keep it off with the sleeve. I had the sleeve and was 366 at the time of my surgery & had diabetes & was in my 40's, way older than you & have lost the weight., & put the diabetes into remission. True it does take more discipline to keep the weight off., but there have been other people who were heavier than me & was successful with the sleeve alone.

Do your research, you have to do what's best for you. Some people need the malabsorption as well as the restriction to get the weight off & keep it off, but you can gain with any surgery, even the DS.

Look back at your dieting attempts, did you lose with diet alone or was every pound a struggle? Take, a hard & honest look at your dieting attempts in the past, it can help you come to a decision for the wls best for you. You have to change how you're eating and live a protein forward lifestyle, if you eat too many carbs you will gain weight, the malabsorption does almost nothing when it comes to carbs.

The surgery is only on our stomachs, not our heads. The BED has to be addressed & better now b4 surgery than after. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Valerie G.
on 8/15/16 8:38 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

People usually don't come to this board until they realize the sleeve failed for them.  Do go up to the Forums and search for surgery type.  You'll find a board full of very active sleeve peeps to guide you along the way. If you decide the DS is your solution, then come on back.  

Ditto on the binge eating disorder.  That will sabotage any effort you try.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 293 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 765 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 254 views