Weight Flutuations

(deactivated member)
on 10/11/16 9:38 pm

I'm just shy of 2 years post op and recently hit the point where I weigh more than I did a year ago. Although I am within a range of a few pounds from last year, my weight range fluctuation has been about 15 pounds during the year. In other words, I am 15lbs heavier than I was in May, but only 4 pounds heavier than a year ago. My weight does seem to go up and down within a 5 to 6lb range pretty easily. In addition, my weight can go up and down within a 5lbs range on any given day depending on bowl movements, hydration, etc.

Do other people see this same type of fluctuation occur. In my case it's about 4% of my body weight in any given day which is somewhat shocking to me. Otherwise I feel pretty healthy.

MajorMom
on 10/12/16 2:17 am - VA

Similar fluctuations here too. Try not to worry but take action if you consistently see a jump.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Valerie G.
on 10/12/16 4:47 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Yep, same here.  I gained 14% of my ewl over the course of about 8 years.  I'm 25 lbs from my lowest, but not very  concerned.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Beam me up Scottie
on 10/12/16 6:23 pm
Did you hit your goal weight? When I was at my goal weight, I stayed there for years without effort (except I was regularly exercising).

If you are struggling to keep it off now- you really should start keeping track of your eating. It doesn't necessarily get easier to keep off weight over time-I think Diana Cox posted a few years ago that every 10 years your metabolism slows down by a percent. So as you get older your also fighting natural slow downs to your natural weight loss system.

In general: Men keep it off easier than women and have less weight fluctuation. Women fluctuate from day to day more.

(deactivated member)
on 10/12/16 9:32 pm

I'm a guy and ended up 40lbs below my goal weight so I'm playing with house money now. I have tracked nutrition, weight and exercise daily since starting this process and I expect I will continue to indefinitely. My only concern will be if I see my weight creep up too quickly so I don't end up back to where I started in a year or two.

Beam me up Scottie
on 10/12/16 10:03 pm
How long is your common channel?
(deactivated member)
on 10/13/16 4:09 pm

I also had my surgery with Mitch, and my common channel should be about 350 cms.

The SADi DS performed at Lenox Hill applies a smaller sleeve than other facilities which leads to substantial weight loss in year 1. I'm 2 years out now and my weight is hovering in the high 140's at 6'1 while eating about 3k calories a day.

Beam me up Scottie
on 10/13/16 7:34 pm
i would worry about your fluctuations then. You're really on the low end of the BMI scale for somone that is 6'1'' .

Salt, Soda, not having a good BM, etc can all lead to weight fluctations. I typically go up and down 5 or 6 lbs within a weeks period.

Scott
(deactivated member)
on 10/14/16 8:38 pm

I'm still not sure what to make of it at this point. I'm at the +10% from the low weight now, so I'll be evaluating how things go from here. Since I have been gaining weight recently, I am looking to focus on nutrition more than calories or a specific weight. It is a real head trip to go from the heaviest person in the room to the thinnest. The really surprising thing is how it shows you that it never really mattered. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 258 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 738 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 245 views