Rough Start

on 1/10/17 9:15 am

I had my surgery on December 12, 2016.  Instead of it being done laparascopically, it was open due to my gall bladder being inflamed.  (I had no clue--it wasn't bothering me.)  Even with the morphine pump, I was in a large amount of pain.  Turns out, the morphine line that was inside my abdomen was crimped and was not releasing the full amount of medication.  It turned my overnight stay into a 4 day stay.  I went back for my follow-up on the 22nd and I was told to start incorporating solid food into my diet.  Bad idea.  I ended up spending the night in the E/R with severe nausea and vomiting and dehydration.  I was still very sick when they sent me home.  My husband stayed on the phone with my doctor until he readmitted me to the hospital on Christmas day.  By then, my electrolytes were all out of whack and my blood pressure was extremely high--so high they were concerned about a stroke--and I was dangerously dehydrated from the nausea and vomiting.  It took 4 additional days to get me back on track.  Thankfully, I'm doing well now.  In spite of everything, I'm so grateful to have this opportunity and this tool to help me get healthier.  Other than being weak, I'm back on track and exceeding expectations.  I've already lost 31 pounds.  I look at it like having a baby--sure, it hurts, but the end result is so worth it!

on 1/10/17 2:28 pm

Hopefully it will just get easier now!

Valerie G.
on 1/11/17 4:41 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Do absolutely everything you can to stay hydrated.  Dehydration causes that nausea.  64oz of fluids is your bare minimum goal every day.  You don't work up to figure out how to make it happen.  If you can keep hydrated, eating solids is definitely possible.

11 years post op DS 
There is room on this earth for all of God's to the mashed potatoes

on 1/17/17 12:03 pm
DS on 10/11/16

HI, had my surgery jan. 9, 2017.  I really like what you said about comparing it with having a baby, lots of pain, but then the gift.

After my surgery, I went into hemolytic anemia (my blood was dying due to my condition called g6pd deficiency) and I had to get three transfusions.

Second side effect that instead of any lost blood left in the abdomen being absorbed by the body, I literally pooped out red blood. It was pretty shocking. I had a CT scan that showed there were no tears. My doc said he has never had a patient do that.  I was in the hospital for 4 nights, I can hardly remember those days due to lost blood and pain meds.  I am now home nursing my tummy, trying to get in at least two portions of protein drink and all my regular meds AND the new vitamins.  I am still in pain an on oxy, but I can tell every day I am getting better.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Who does the Duodenal Switch
Greysmomma · 5 replies · 103 views
DS years after RNY
StevesGal · 3 replies · 118 views
Surgery Scheduled!
LapGyrl · 5 replies · 107 views
Feeling dizzy - call ambulance?
krishna · 3 replies · 161 views