Need info about RNY to DS

piper
on 2/11/17 3:35 pm

I had my RNY in 2000. Over the past three years I regained a lot of weight. Is duodenal switch an option for someone with RNY? I'm in the Boston area. 

Beam me up Scottie
on 2/11/17 8:44 pm
Yes...there is a RNY to DS surgery. It is complicated. You need to go to a surgeon that has done it before-i'm not sure if there is one in Boston that can do it.

If you search this forum for RNY to DS- you'll find several people on here that had the surgery- and lots of info about it.

Scott

larra
on 2/12/17 9:10 am - bay area, CA

It is possible, but there are only a handful of surgeons who do it. It's very challenging surgery because it involves taking apart your gastric bypass, completely restoring the original anatomy, and then doing the DS. There are significant risks, and it requires a surgeon with a lot of DS and a lot of revision to DS experience. There is definitely no one in the Boston area who does it, so you will need to travel, which is the case for most patients who want this surgery.

I will send you a pm with more info so be on the lookout for it.

Larra

piper
on 2/12/17 9:39 am

Thanks so much, I look forward to your pm!

Tyler615
on 2/12/17 1:48 pm

I had RNY in December of 1999 and I just had a DS revision with Dr. Keshishian on Thursday 2/9/17.  Dr. K is absolutely amazing!  I was just released from the hospital today and so far I have experienced no complications.  I will be here in LA until the 19th and I'll see Dr. K twice before I fly back to DC. 

piper
on 2/13/17 8:03 am

Thank you for your response. The more I research, the more I am hearing that there are only a few qualified Dr's to perform RNY to DS surgery. May I ask more information from you about your cir****tances, such as why you needed a revision, etc. I take it that since you are from DC, that you could not find a surgeon on the east coast to do the revision?

misyoungthang
on 2/18/17 6:45 pm
DS on 06/13/16

Dr Halmi in Northern Virginia (he had an office in Fairfax and Woodbridge) can perform the type of surgery you are requesting. He used to be part of Blue Point Surgical Group but started his own practice about 3 years ago. He did my GVS. His team is awesome and has a lot of experience with all types of surgeries. 

Tyler615
on 2/19/17 7:12 am
Tyler615
on 2/19/17 7:18 am

I had a fistula which led to a 100# weight gain.  I am on the mend from my procedure and have lost 19# in 10 days.  I am flying home today to continue my recovery.  Be prepared this is a major major surgery and I have found it to be very painful but I am just taking it easy!  I feel like Dr. K and the DS have given me a new lease on life and I would do it again in a heartbeat! 

piper
on 2/20/17 8:42 am

When a revision from RNY to DS is done, is it an open procedure or laprascopic?

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 296 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 768 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 255 views