Duodenal Switch ( Loop )

Will1253
on 2/14/17 8:39 am

Hello my name is Willian looking at the Loop from JourneyLife center with Dr.Tracy Curry in Cincinnati Ohio has any got information or can help me out any information would great be helpful. Thanks

larra
on 2/14/17 9:54 am - bay area, CA

Hi Will!

The loop DS, aka SIPS/aka SADI, is not a standard of care bariatric surgery. It is experimental and long term results are not well documented in large numbers of patients, as they are with the traditional, standard of care DS with 2 anastamoses. Short term results for any bariatricc surgery are meaningless (well, unless they are bad, in which case they are never going to improve), it's the long haul that counts. Morbid obesity is a chronic, lifelong disease that requires a long term solution.

I would suggest that you continue your research and be open to considering all your options and perhaps to traveling further from home, depending on where you are. More info in a pm.

Larra

Will1253
on 2/19/17 8:13 am

Thank you for the information and help.

Beam me up Scottie
on 2/14/17 11:22 am
What Larra said. It's a different surgery than the DS. It doesn't mean it's worse or better- just not the same surgery and the long term results are not as well documented.

There is no Loop forum, but there should be! You guys need a place to talk.
Will1253
on 2/19/17 8:14 am

Thanks for the help.

Valerie G.
on 2/15/17 5:26 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Dr. Curry has a great reputation in Cincinnati for other wls procedures, but he's never done a real DS before.  Larra and Scott are right.  It's only been around for a couple of years and there is some creative coding to get it approved by insurance, considering how long it takes for any other experimental procedure to get approved.  Success is promising so far, but long-term results remain unfounded. Because it is so new, it is not standardized yet.  If you had to go to another surgeon in the future, they may be uncomfortable working on you because of this.  These are all things to take serious consideration with.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Will1253
on 2/19/17 8:15 am

Thanks again Valerie.

misyoungthang
on 2/18/17 6:18 pm
DS on 06/13/16

I had the single loop over the double loop surgery. My dr said it was new but this one could be reversed if I ever had any medical problems in the future. I am doing fine on it and seeing great results. I had the surgery 8 months ago. From what my DR said, I would possibly go to the bathroom less and the body absorption of vitimans were about the same as the double loop surgery. I do find that I go to the bathroom less. Some days not at all. There isn't a lot of research out there but do what you feel comfortable with. 

Will1253
on 2/19/17 8:16 am

Thanks for sharing that with me and thanks for the information and help.

larra
on 2/19/17 9:03 am - bay area, CA

The standard 2 anastamosis DS can also be reversed - at least the intestinal portion can, the sleeve, which is the same for both operations, or course can't be reversed. It is actually very infrequent for reversal to be needed, but it's done with what's called the "kissing X" procedure where the alimentary and biliopancreatic limbs are joined together.

It's also possible to avoid a reversal by adjusting the limb lengths. If someone is losing too much weight it can usually be controlled without surgery by taking digestive enzymes for awhile, but if that doesn't work the common channel and/or alimentary limb can be lengthened. So the idea that the loop DS has some kind of advantage here over the standard of care DS is just not accurate.

Larra

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 273 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 747 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 250 views