Digestive Enzymes with the DS??

Snowbutterfly
on 3/13/17 2:09 pm

So I'm curious about the rules of taking digestive enzymes with the DS. I Read a few articles and a few forums saying that when there is too much malabsorption that enzymes were prescribed to gain weight. Does this mean any enzymes would cause a DS patient to gain weight? What about protease, the protein digesting enzymes? If protein levels were too low, could this be used without gaining weight? And would only the protein be absorbed and fat would still be malabsorbed?

Valerie G.
on 3/14/17 7:47 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Digestive enzymes are taken to increase absorption of everything. There's no picking and choosing.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Snowbutterfly
on 3/14/17 11:42 am

Really? I thought there were specific ones. Thanks for letting me know!

PeteA
on 3/14/17 1:10 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I've never heard about anything targeting protein only. Hard to think that might be possible.

The product mentioned most often for this is Creon whi*****reases absorption across the board.

Here is a link to some general info about it:

https://www.creon.com/about-creon?cid=ppc_ppd_ggl_Creon_2016 _creon_Exact_853-1873424

Pete

Snowbutterfly
on 3/16/17 9:12 pm

According to that website creon consists of the enzymes lipase, protease, and amylase.

Looking more into each of those I found this statement...

"Any enzyme that breaks down protein into its building blocks, amino acids, is called a protease, which is a general term. Your digestive tract produces a number of these enzymes, but the three main proteases are pepsin, trypsin and chymotrypsin."

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 147 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 690 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 237 views