fingernails falling apart

nicholivolkoff
on 4/14/17 2:53 pm - Canada

Hi, I have been having severe issues with my nails lately. Painful fingertips, nails so brittle they are breaking everywhere, deep ridges going across too. I have also been having burning lips, and crappy dry hair. Sometimes I get foot cramps. Like most DSers I have had low vitamin D levels and iron, but that was controlled for the last few months. So controlled, that my doctor lowered my vitamin D supplement script so I could simply maintain. Are any of these symptoms familiar to anyone out there? Any ideas? Thanks so much in advance. -Michelle

chevtow41
on 4/14/17 7:34 pm
DS on 11/11/14

Typically vitamin D prescription is oil based which doesn't help much. Do you have your lab results? Believing docs on labs is a bad idea. You sound severely malnourished. How much protein are you taking in daily? Also calcium intake? What other vitamins do you take? I take about 25/day. A few multi will not cut it.

Beam me up Scottie
on 4/15/17 8:59 pm
On April 14, 2017 at 9:53 PM Pacific Time, nicholivolkoff wrote:

Hi, I have been having severe issues with my nails lately. Painful fingertips, nails so brittle they are breaking everywhere, deep ridges going across too. I have also been having burning lips, and crappy dry hair. Sometimes I get foot cramps. Like most DSers I have had low vitamin D levels and iron, but that was controlled for the last few months. So controlled, that my doctor lowered my vitamin D supplement script so I could simply maintain. Are any of these symptoms familiar to anyone out there? Any ideas? Thanks so much in advance. -Michelle

like most DSers? Speak for yourself. I have had normal or high normal D levels for 11 years. My current D level is above 80. I take 150K IU of dry vitamin D.

It sounds like you are experiencing some nutritional deficiencies. You will need to start with a full set of labs, otherwise you're just shooting int he dark.

Scott
nicholivolkoff
on 4/16/17 4:52 am - Canada

Sorry did not mean to offend anyone with my "most DSers" comment. Lets say some DSers have vitamin D and iron issues or need to supplement and monitor.

I did manage to get to my doctor for full testing since I posted. Doc suspects iron problem but will know soon.

Thanks for responses. -Michelle

Beam me up Scottie
on 4/16/17 8:34 am
What does your supplement regime look like?

BTW I'm not offended ....just wanted to clarify. There is a "lie" on this forum that all DSers have malnutrition issues. I do not..and many of the Vets here do not. But we've been around for 10+ years..and have taken some really good advice.

I take high doses of A (100K) D (150K) E (1200) K (5000) vits, B complex, calcium, zinc, magnesium, and Iron. I get tested 1 time per year and adjust according to my labs. It's worked for 11 years.

Scott
Beam me up Scottie
on 4/16/17 12:33 pm
By the way (on this topic), many doctor's offices do not know how to fix low vitamin levels for WLS patients (including RNYers). The nurse at my doctor's office was shocked when I told her I take 150K IU of dry D per day and have done so for 2 years (my D was at 40, but Vitalady recommends that you keep your D closer to the top of the range 80-100).

If you have low iron, you'll likely need an infusion-supplementation will sometimes hold levels, but it can be hard to bring them up.

Scott
PeteA
on 4/16/17 9:23 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

While I don't think it is prevalent that people here think all DS'rs are prone to deficiencies. It is certainly one of the first places to look.

Nothing you talked about would be linked to Vitamin D that I know of ( or iron for that matter ). I understand why that would be your first areas to check I just don't think they would be the issue.

Just some guesses in the dark. You might try adding Biotin to your vitamins and using shampoo with biotin to see if that helps with your fingernails and hair.

For the foot cramps you might try adding magnesium glycinate if you aren't already taking some ( not oxide, that won't help).

Lastly, it might not be a vitamin deficiency. Is your fat intake at a normal range? If you are doing low fat by mistake that could cause some of these issues.

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

Janet P.
on 4/17/17 8:31 am
On April 14, 2017 at 9:53 PM Pacific Time, nicholivolkoff wrote:

Nails are actually a great way to understand your deficiencies as they tell you so much. I suspect low iron and calcium. Foot cramps can be low potassium or simply that you're dehydrated. If you are taking prescription D, you're probably taking the wrong type. ALL of your vitamins should be in dry form.

I maintain normal D levels by taking 150K units of dry D3 per day. I've taken that amount for years with no concern for overdosing (alot of doctors worry about this). I was also having nail issues and my iron was in the toilet (so to speak) so I just finished a round of iron infusions - should be good to go for a while and my nails have stopped splitting and are hard as "nails".

Dry hair can simply be a symptom of the DS in general (remember you malabsorb fat). Before my DS, I experienced oily everything - skin, hair, etc. Now 14 years post-DS I have dry everything.

You mentioned in a later post that you had labs done. Have you gotten results yet? This is also an excellent way to start learning about the DS and your labs and your supplements, and how they all inter-relate.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

nicholivolkoff
on 4/17/17 9:03 am - Canada

Hi people, and thanks for all responses. Today I got a call from my doctor, it was the iron. All other levels are great. I also have been slacking on taking iron, so now I know I can't do that again. I guess I slacked because it was quite good for a while, I got complacent. Well thanks again everyone. -Michelle

Janet P.
on 4/18/17 6:08 am
On April 17, 2017 at 4:03 PM Pacific Time, nicholivolkoff wrote:

Hi people, and thanks for all responses. Today I got a call from my doctor, it was the iron. All other levels are great. I also have been slacking on taking iron, so now I know I can't do that again. I guess I slacked because it was quite good for a while, I got complacent. Well thanks again everyone. -Michelle

Michelle - keep very close watch on your iron. Some people have issues with oral iron absorption (I speak from experience). I also don't know how old you are and if you are pre- or post-menopausal. If you are pre-menopausal, keeping an eye on your iron is even more critical as you are losing blood every month, which will have a significant impact on your iron stores.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 258 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 738 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 247 views