Is it possible to lose weight without a thyroid?

Roulette1767
on 4/24/17 5:52 am

I had growths on my thyroid and had to have it removed and it took a year to get to a proper level of synthroid. I've read up on how your metabolism works and it seems no matter what I do, exercising to the best of my ability, avoiding certain carbs and sugar. My weight is stuck at 250 - 258. Each scale I get on says something different. My endo is the one I go by now. My primary, whom I see for my monthly check ups, always has me at a higher weight, no matter what I do or wear.

I've decided to go back to the beginning and see what happens. Eat like my DS is new and avoid all the things that have snuck 'back' into my diet.

I have Sjögren's Syndrome, which causes chronic pain for me, so I take meds for that and then there are meds for my other illness, which causes weight gain. Basically, it comes down to what I put in my mouth.

When food made me nauseous for three months I lost 10lbs. I've decided to up the protein, which is good btw and have a salad (the salad will have tuna with mayo for fat) and soup for lunch and a protein for dinner. Breakfast is the hardest, so I'll do a shake.

I'll switch it up with different varieties, but I want to keep it simple. My blood work is good. I keep up with my vitamins, now just to commit to my meals.

I have a conference coming up and I'm gonna have to watch myself.

As far as exercise, I can walk and do aquacise and free weights. I lack in motivation, I admit that. But I'll do what I can.

Wish me luck.

hollykim
on 4/24/17 10:20 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On April 24, 2017 at 12:52 PM Pacific Time, Roulette1767 wrote:

I had growths on my thyroid and had to have it removed and it took a year to get to a proper level of synthroid. I've read up on how your metabolism works and it seems no matter what I do, exercising to the best of my ability, avoiding certain carbs and sugar. My weight is stuck at 250 - 258. Each scale I get on says something different. My endo is the one I go by now. My primary, whom I see for my monthly check ups, always has me at a higher weight, no matter what I do or wear.

I've decided to go back to the beginning and see what happens. Eat like my DS is new and avoid all the things that have snuck 'back' into my diet.

I have Sjögren's Syndrome, which causes chronic pain for me, so I take meds for that and then there are meds for my other illness, which causes weight gain. Basically, it comes down to what I put in my mouth.

When food made me nauseous for three months I lost 10lbs. I've decided to up the protein, which is good btw and have a salad (the salad will have tuna with mayo for fat) and soup for lunch and a protein for dinner. Breakfast is the hardest, so I'll do a shake.

I'll switch it up with different varieties, but I want to keep it simple. My blood work is good. I keep up with my vitamins, now just to commit to my meals.

I have a conference coming up and I'm gonna have to watch myself.

As far as exercise, I can walk and do aquacise and free weights. I lack in motivation, I admit that. But I'll do what I can.

Wish me luck.

yes,it is possible. I lost 122 lbs and have maintained the loss for seven years, with no exercise.

it really is all about what you put in your mouth.

Roulette1767
on 4/27/17 10:51 am

Thank you. I'm learning that daily. I needed to hear that from a 'real' person. Doctors have just shrugged off my questions or just don't believe I am trying.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 146 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 688 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 237 views