Types of Protein

hopedejong1
on 4/25/17 6:29 am

Can anyone tell me which type of protein we process? I'm thinking it's Whey but I can't remember for certain. I was buying Premier from Costco but my old dietician said I only benefit from about 12g of the 30 in each drink. I wanted to buy Unjury which I had after VSG but I'd like to make sure I can use all the protein.

Thank you

Hope

PattyL
on 4/25/17 1:05 pm, edited 4/25/17 6:06 am

The gram thing is a myth. Gleefully repeated by dieticians and sports trainers all over the globe. The next time you hear it ask them to provide real medical peer reviewed studies that support their position. Their response will be...crickets.

And yes, it is whey. Premier is whey and so is Unjury.

If you have a DS you malabsorb, to one degree or another, everything you eat other than sugar, simple carbs. Buying Whey protein does not change that.

hopedejong1
on 4/25/17 3:08 pm

Thanks so much for your help! This is incredibly frustrating. I had stopped drinking Premier quite some time ago based on what she said. I had to switch bariatric doctors, the previous one can't help me now and that was the dietician who told me I was basically wasting my time with Premier. I'm in Michigan and there are only a couple of surgeons in the state who performed the DS. I quit seeing the new dietician as she is not familiar with DS. When I mentioned to the doctor that she kept saying I had by-pass and I didn't feel comfortable with her lack of knowledge, the doctor agreed. My PCP admits she doesn't know a whole lot about it. My current bariatric doctor isn't a surgeon so she hasn't performed DS but she is monitoring all of my blood work and making sure everything looks good. I pray that I don't run into problems that require a surgeon based on limited surgeons who can.l perform DS. Back to Premier I go then.

Again, thanks so much for your help!!

PeteA
on 4/26/17 5:58 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Just so wrong. Even the bad information says you can take up to 30gm of protein at a sitting. Really that was an issue for people working out and interested in increasing muscle mass.

Premier and Unjury are both good. I use Optimum Nutrition 100% whey.

Each form of protein has what is called a bioavailability number. Mostly this can be ignored unless you are protein deficient and need to get absolutely as much protein as possible. In that case you would be looking for 100% whey isolate. Most whey products are a blend of different whey types which is fine for most of us.

You still have to take into account your malabsorption but that is an issue no matter what form of protein you take.

Some surgeons offices push to have people get all their protein from eating protein as opposed to protein shakes. Personally I just find it easier to make my protein goals if I have a protein shake at the beginning of the day.

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 260 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 738 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 247 views