Iron low

David M.
on 5/17/17 1:44 pm - Germantown, OH

Hello friends,

checking in to see what recommendations are out there for iron supplements. Iron is low at 7 as well as ferritin was low.

My other labs are good. Started taking the 200k daily of vitamin D, levels increased from 17 to 54.

I am new with my pcp, he seems good but very conservative and like so many other pcp's, just doesn't seem to get the malabsorption and DS procedure.

He just advised to make sure I am taking my iron supplement daily. "Now" brand 18.8mg daily ( with vitamin C) is what I have been using. Out of all my supplements, iron is the one I seem to miss the most, because of trying to time it with the others.

I feel like death warmed over, so I am researching my options.

What are you taking? Have you had to have transfusions? I am very open to getting a transfusion to help get it regulated quicker.

10 years out ! Started at 379 pounds and holding around 175-180

LIFE IS GOOD !!!

David M.
Beam me up Scottie
on 5/17/17 7:49 pm
I switched to Heme iron from Colorado labs. It's the one Vitalady recommended if you are having difficulties getting your iron in. It can be taken with food and doesn't have to be separated from calcium quite as long.

You probably need an infusion though to get your levels back up.

Scott
Janet P.
on 5/18/17 11:51 am

David, I have battled iron deficiency anemia for years (I had my DS 14 years ago). Many DSers don't absorb oral iron (I don't). I tried many and nothing helped. The oral iron can also tank your calcium so separate them by about 2 hours.

Iron infusions (not transfusions) are what works. Find a good hematologist who understands malabsorption. I was fortunate to find one. Once you explain your situation you should be able to get iron infusions. Most doctors either have their own infusion clinics (because most hematologists are also oncologists or will send you to a local hospital for their infusion clinic.

I actually just finished two infusions about a month ago - my ferritin went from 13 to over 300 -- woohoo, so I'm good for a couple of years. The infusion itself took only about 15 minutes with absolutely no side effects. We tried a new iron that was developed specifically for people who don't absorb oral iron called Injectafer. Over the years I've also had Venofer and Ferrlecit.

Good luck.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

David M.
on 5/18/17 12:23 pm - Germantown, OH

Thank you for your response. I had my surgery in Ohio and the surgeon has retired. There is a bariatric surgeon at the hospital I work at that has a good reputation. I will check with his office and see who they refer to for hematology.

I feel like crud, so I am game for the infusion. I have started back on ADHD meds thinking the lethargic and concentration was just related to that. Hoping I can cut back on those meds once I am up to normal.

How long out were you when you had iron issues? Did you have anemia before your surgery?

Best regards,

david

LIFE IS GOOD !!!

David M.
Janet P.
on 5/19/17 9:32 am

I was about 3 years post-op (so about 10 years ago) when I first noticed the symptoms. But also remember as a woman (and at that time a pre-menopausal woman) I was dealing with a monthly cycle and losing blood every month, which only made matters worse, which obviously you are not!

I had some of the classic symptoms of iron deficiency anemia - always tired, restless leg syndrome, thin skin, always cold, and the biggest one for me was Pica, which is a condition that has you craving weird things - for me it was ice. I was obsessed with chewing ice. Some people chew paper or eat dirt - no really they do.

I never had anemia before the DS.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

David M.
on 5/19/17 9:44 am - Germantown, OH

Did the anemia effect your thyroid? My tsh was up some, so we increased my armour thyroid.

I am glad the labs showed the anemia. I seriously thought I was just going to die in my sleep. I thought I was just being a wimp and brushed everything aside assuming that turning 40 was the problem.

Looking over my past labs, my iron started to drop in 2016 but was okay for the previous 10 years. I am hoping that being diligent with iron supplements will do the trick.

LIFE IS GOOD !!!

David M.
Janet P.
on 5/19/17 12:35 pm
On May 19, 2017 at 4:44 PM Pacific Time, David M. wrote:

Did the anemia effect your thyroid? My tsh was up some, so we increased my armour thyroid.

I am glad the labs showed the anemia. I seriously thought I was just going to die in my sleep. I thought I was just being a wimp and brushed everything aside assuming that turning 40 was the problem.

Looking over my past labs, my iron started to drop in 2016 but was okay for the previous 10 years. I am hoping that being diligent with iron supplements will do the trick.

Never had thyroid issues.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

K P.
on 5/18/17 11:52 am
DS on 07/08/14

I was low so now I take two iron pills with vitamin C at night before bed because it's spaced from calcium. Here's the brand I take: UNITED RESEARCH LABS. Ferrous Sulfate 325 mg Film Coated Tablets, 1000 Count https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00123G9HM/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apip_dZi3SKfKmdRk1

HW 284; SW 270; CW 152; Revised GW 140-160  

David M.
on 5/19/17 9:51 am - Germantown, OH

Thank you for the info, that's a great deal. I added them to my cart !

LIFE IS GOOD !!!

David M.
K P.
on 5/22/17 8:27 am
DS on 07/08/14

Good luck. Taking two of them with a chewable vitamin C helped me. But I was so low I had to get transfusions. They've kept me healthy since.

HW 284; SW 270; CW 152; Revised GW 140-160  

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 130 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 671 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 236 views