Self pay cost for a conversion from a VSG to a loop DS (SIPS). Doctor advice.

livecity
on 5/29/17 11:59 am

Hello everyone. I'm new here. I've had a VSG 5 years go. I went from 300 pounds down to 173. A few years ago I had a life trauma and gained a lot of the weight back. I am now looking to convert my sleeve to either a DS, or a loop DS (SIPS).

I had a consultation with a true DS surgeon but I'm scared about all the malabsorption and vitamin deficiencies that occur. That has led me to believe the loop DS (SIPS) is the better surgery for me since the common channel would be longer and I won't be prone to extreme malabsorption like the regular DS. I know there are many posts here on this forum about the pro's and cons for each. Unless someone can convince me otherwise, i think the loop DS is the way to go.

My question here for everyone is, what is the best self pay loop DS (SIPS) doctor who can convert my sleeve to the SIPS? I have searched these forums and found dozens and dozens of posts about self pay costs and doctors for the classic DS. But not really much any cost data about the SIPS surgery.

I started compiling some information in a spreadsheet of some of the SIPS surgeons that I found in the U.S. There is only like 6 or 7 surgeons. And almost all of them told me over the phone they will get back to me with pricing. I assume because they don't know because since I'm already sleeved, it's hard for them to figure out pricing.

I called Dr. Metz in Colorado, and Dr. Cottam in Utah and they both told me the over the phone that the price for the conversion would be the same as the price as a full loop DS (no conversion). How is this possible since half of the work (my sleeve) is already done. And since half the work is already done, shouldn't it take them less time to complete the revision and thus cost less money? Plus it should be a reduced recovery time in the hospital. Something feels amiss with that. Dr Cottam said the revision would be $19k, and Dr. Metz said $23k. Does this sound right for a conversion from a sleeve cost wise?

If anyone here has been converted from a sleeve to SIPS and who is self pay, please let me know your thoughts and experiences are, as well as the costs for the conversion and which doctor performed it.

I am trying to make a decision here so I can move forward on my conversion. Any help and tips would be appreciated. Thank you.

Beam me up Scottie
on 5/29/17 3:23 pm
You failed with 1 WLS. The long-term results of the Loop DS are unknown. The DS long term results are well known. I don't know.....I am of the mind set that I don't want to be the surgical guinea pig.

Scott
livecity
on 5/30/17 11:51 am

True. You're right. Long term results are unknown, but there have been many people on this forum who have reported positive results and have lost the same amount of weight just like the classic DS.

Beam me up Scottie
on 6/4/17 10:55 pm
True....but just look at the revision forum on this site. Losing weight and maintaining weight loss for 5, 10, 15 years out is 2 separate things. TRADITIONAL DSers typically maintain most of their weight loss....SADI or the Loop "DS" .....the jury is still out.
hollykim
on 5/29/17 3:58 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 29, 2017 at 6:59 PM Pacific Time, livecity wrote:

Hello everyone. I'm new here. I've had a VSG 5 years go. I went from 300 pounds down to 173. A few years ago I had a life trauma and gained a lot of the weight back. I am now looking to convert my sleeve to either a DS, or a loop DS (SIPS).

I had a consultation with a true DS surgeon but I'm scared about all the malabsorption and vitamin deficiencies that occur. That has led me to believe the loop DS (SIPS) is the better surgery for me since the common channel would be longer and I won't be prone to extreme malabsorption like the regular DS. I know there are many posts here on this forum about the pro's and cons for each. Unless someone can convince me otherwise, i think the loop DS is the way to go.

My question here for everyone is, what is the best self pay loop DS (SIPS) doctor who can convert my sleeve to the SIPS? I have searched these forums and found dozens and dozens of posts about self pay costs and doctors for the classic DS. But not really much any cost data about the SIPS surgery.

I started compiling some information in a spreadsheet of some of the SIPS surgeons that I found in the U.S. There is only like 6 or 7 surgeons. And almost all of them told me over the phone they will get back to me with pricing. I assume because they don't know because since I'm already sleeved, it's hard for them to figure out pricing.

I called Dr. Metz in Colorado, and Dr. Cottam in Utah and they both told me the over the phone that the price for the conversion would be the same as the price as a full loop DS (no conversion). How is this possible since half of the work (my sleeve) is already done. And since half the work is already done, shouldn't it take them less time to complete the revision and thus cost less money? Plus it should be a reduced recovery time in the hospital. Something feels amiss with that. Dr Cottam said the revision would be $19k, and Dr. Metz said $23k. Does this sound right for a conversion from a sleeve cost wise?

If anyone here has been converted from a sleeve to SIPS and who is self pay, please let me know your thoughts and experiences are, as well as the costs for the conversion and which doctor performed it.

I am trying to make a decision here so I can move forward on my conversion. Any help and tips would be appreciated. Thank you.

a longer common channel does mean less malabsorption but that also meansMORE absorption of fats and calories which means less weight loss and more chance for regain.

livecity
on 5/30/17 11:53 am

Good point. That's certainly something to consider. I guess i need to think about what's more important to me. Losing more weight, or not being malnourished because of the tiny common channel.

hollykim
on 5/30/17 1:41 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 30, 2017 at 6:53 PM Pacific Time, livecity wrote:

Good point. That's certainly something to consider. I guess i need to think about what's more important to me. Losing more weight, or not being malnourished because of the tiny common channel.

if it is not really either or. You don't have to be malnourished of you eat correctly and take appropriate supplements. Otis really up to you being malnourished or not.

livecity
on 5/31/17 11:32 am

true dat

chevtow41
on 5/29/17 5:56 pm, edited 5/29/17 10:57 am
DS on 11/11/14

There are tons of SADI/SIPS docs out there now, considerably more than 6 or 7, it's a easier surgery than the real DS which is why so many surgeons are pushing it.

If I was self paying I'd definitely get a real DS, you have no idea what long term effects of loop is. Heck could end up needing exactly the same or more vitamins - no one knows long term. If you listen to surgeons you won't need very many vitamins but regular DS docs say about the same. Honestly most docs just don't get nutrition.

livecity
on 5/30/17 11:55 am

You are right, there a lot more surgeons who do the Loop DS than the standard DS because the standard DS is more complicated.

I guess maybe i should continue considering the pros and cons of each. It's a very big decision. Considering the cost of the surgery is going to cost me the same as buying a new car.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 121 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 663 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 234 views