Need pep talk...

megange1
on 7/10/17 1:18 am

Hi-

So I got home from the hospital and felt great! Like I had no idea what my worry was for and that my recovery would be a breeze. I knew that was too good to be true, and now I'm feeling a case of the blues. My pain is not terrible, but I'm definitely aware of it all day and night. I'm not sleeping more than 2 hour stints because my incisions hurt. All day long I'm consumed with what to eat and drink. I know it's all normal, as I've done the sleeve part before, but I'm feeling super impatient for the pain to go away and my diet to be semi normal enough to return to "normal life." I know I'm just having buyers remorse of sorts, but I was wondering how long people took to start feeling normal? I'm on day 10.

MajorMom
on 7/10/17 2:07 am - VA

It's definitely a process. Hang in there. I went back to work 1/2 days after 14 days off. It took another week to be able to work full-time. I tried to obsess about walking every hour and drinking sips all the time. Food and I are always at war, so I tried to approach it as minimally as possible...put it on my schedule, do it, and just get it over with. I tried to change my mindset, I guess.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

megange1
on 7/10/17 3:14 am

Did it eventually get easier?

MajorMom
on 7/10/17 1:20 pm - VA

Eventually.

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

hollykim
on 7/10/17 6:33 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 10, 2017 at 8:18 AM Pacific Time, megange1 wrote:

Hi-

So I got home from the hospital and felt great! Like I had no idea what my worry was for and that my recovery would be a breeze. I knew that was too good to be true, and now I'm feeling a case of the blues. My pain is not terrible, but I'm definitely aware of it all day and night. I'm not sleeping more than 2 hour stints because my incisions hurt. All day long I'm consumed with what to eat and drink. I know it's all normal, as I've done the sleeve part before, but I'm feeling super impatient for the pain to go away and my diet to be semi normal enough to return to "normal life." I know I'm just having buyers remorse of sorts, but I was wondering how long people took to start feeling normal? I'm on day 10.

your recovery should be pretty much the way it was with your sleeve recovery. Are you taking your pain pills? You can expect to hurt, if you are not taking them.

megange1
on 7/10/17 2:46 pm

I am taking them. I just had an open incision so it's going to hurt a tad more. If I'm being honest the sleeve part is easier this time. Last time I threw up for like a month. This time I know what my body likes, so I'm not vomiting at all. Which is all good, it's just thecopdn incision that is much harder to deal with.

hollykim
on 7/11/17 7:42 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 10, 2017 at 9:46 PM Pacific Time, megange1 wrote:

I am taking them. I just had an open incision so it's going to hurt a tad more. If I'm being honest the sleeve part is easier this time. Last time I threw up for like a month. This time I know what my body likes, so I'm not vomiting at all. Which is all good, it's just thecopdn incision that is much harder to deal with.

with an open incision,it can take up to a month to get to feeling really better. Hang in there and it will get better,though.

Janet P.
on 7/10/17 6:34 am

It will absolutely get easier. It sounds like you just did the switch part (you already had the sleeve). Remember that the switch is the more complicated of the two procedures. Did your doctor give you something for the pain? Are you taking it?

You're only on day 10. I had the full DS done at one time. I was off work for a month and then back part time for two weeks. It's a process. The switch will require a little more focus, learning what you can eat, what works, what doesn't, etc.

You need to find your patience. The DS is major surgery!

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

megange1
on 7/10/17 2:47 pm

I definitely need more patience. I was resleeved and switched, so I'm starting over in both senses. I had a knee surgery right before this, so I think my body is just ready for a pain free existence.

ILoveFlowers
on 7/10/17 8:01 am

Sending lots of hugs your way. It will get better soon.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 296 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 768 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 255 views