Flagyl alternatives

KathySP
on 7/17/17 11:23 pm - OH

I have been on flagyl a long time, my doctor stopped prescribing it to me. Is there alternatives that work to solve the gas and bloating? I have cut back drastically any breads/sugars, but still have gas and bloating.

Thanks!

MajorMom
on 7/18/17 2:10 am - VA

I went through the process of switching to a strong probiotic. My doc prescribes VSL#3 DS and I take about 1/2 teaspoon twice a day. It took my system about a month to get all the kinks out but I haven't looked back since. You can buy the capsules from the pharmacy over-the-counter since they have to keep it refrigerated but I have better results from the powder form that has to be prescribed.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Janet P.
on 7/18/17 6:39 am

Flagyl was never meant for long-term use - it's an antibiotic meant to be taken when you have a bacterial infection, not to treat gas and bloating.

Are you lactose intolerant? Instead of treating the symptoms you might look at the causes of the gas and bloating. Other things besides sugar and bread causes gas. What types of veggies do you eat? I've found that I get bad gas and bloating from certain vegetables - especially salad and raw veggies. Same with fruit.

I take a probiotic every morning - currently I take two Primal Defense HSO. I've never been able to completely eliminate gas and bloating.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

hollykim
on 7/18/17 7:24 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 18, 2017 at 1:39 PM Pacific Time, Janet P. wrote:

Flagyl was never meant for long-term use - it's an antibiotic meant to be taken when you have a bacterial infection, not to treat gas and bloating.

Are you lactose intolerant? Instead of treating the symptoms you might look at the causes of the gas and bloating. Other things besides sugar and bread causes gas. What types of veggies do you eat? I've found that I get bad gas and bloating from certain vegetables - especially salad and raw veggies. Same with fruit.

I take a probiotic every morning - currently I take two Primal Defense HSO. I've never been able to completely eliminate gas and bloating.

actually Flagyl is not an antibiotic. It is an anti fungalnused for treating fungal infections.

larra
on 7/18/17 8:26 am - bay area, CA

Actually, flagyl (generic name metronidazole) really is an antibiotic, and would be useless for treatment of a fungal infection. Since some antifungals have that "zole" ending, it can be confusing, but this "zole" isn't antifungal. Just google it if you want.

However, I do agree with everyone that it isn't intended for longterm use, whether for gas or for any other reason. I think the advice given to keep looking at diet for possible culprits and try a strong probiotic is excellent advice.

Larra

hollykim
on 7/18/17 1:35 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

I stand corrected. I do see it listed as an antibiotic and an anti protozoal which I like a fungus, so it appears to be both. Thx!

biggeekgirl
on 7/18/17 11:24 am

I miss Flagyl. I used to buy Fishzole and use it when I had business trips where I knew there'd be tons of food or while on vacation when I wanted to eat.

But I stopped because there is a link (or may be depending on which study you're reading ) to cancer. And all the studies I've read were testing people on short doses not maintanance doses like I was taking.

I have found that not eating cheese helped by gas (I never drank milk or ate yogurt) but I've also found eliminating meat has helped!

I know ya'll think that's crazy but it's true.

Gas never 100% goes away but there are foods for everyone that make it worse. You have to find yours.

Surgery on 4/25/05 , Dr. Alverdy in Chicago.  God Bless the DS !!!
Highest Weight = 412lbs, Surgery Weight = 359lbs, Current Weight = 155lbs (5'7" tall)http://www.picturetrail.com/gid8138761
 Lilypie

Valerie G.
on 7/19/17 11:22 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

You spent a long time killing all of the bugs in your gut, so you need to repopulate with good flora. You do that with probiotics, in pill or natural form with fermented foods.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 274 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 748 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 250 views