Donna L.
on 11/22/17 8:39 am, edited 11/22/17 12:40 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Well, a nutritionist's job is not necessarily to explain science, but to inform you of how to eat based on the nutritional guidelines set out by agencies in the country where you live. This is problematic for a few reasons, as well, since these agencies are evidence-based in theory, however they are also heavily controlled by lobbying, particularly here in the US. Research Ancel Keys if you're curious about the history of why modern nutrition is the way it is.

I'm a counselor, and my primary job isn't necessarily education. It's to treat pathology. I am...weird...in that I think education can be very helpful for recovery from mental illness and trauma, actually. That's not necessarily conventional though. Look at doctors or surgeons, too.

This is because the medical model is set up for treatment and not education, though that's changing somewhat.

The main reason I know about biochemistry is because I was a biochem major before I left pre-med for psychology. However, there are a ton of free and evidence-based resources online to learn all this if you are interested these days :) Wikipedia is a great start, actually. Start by seeing what sources they cite and read those instead of the articles. You will learn a lot even just doing that.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Beam me up Scottie
on 11/22/17 5:18 pm
I think if it's 100 percent or 80 percent it doesn't matter.

The bottom line is that simple carbs (eaten in abundance) are about the only thing that can cause a DSer to gain weight.

Simple rule of thumb....(for most DSers).....avoid too many simple carbs.

For 11 years I have avoided drinking any sugary drinks for this reason....rarely do I have juice or drink alcohol. I do eat cookies, and cake, and candy...but then again, I'm a guy...and we win the DS lottery most of the time.

Scott
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 121 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 663 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 234 views