Something stuck feeling, nausea and foamies

Rizzo0126
on 12/26/17 3:10 pm, edited 12/26/17 6:31 pm

i am 1 week post op, open DS conversion with a hiatal repair.

Just today I started having the feeling that something is stuck. My surgeon said i might.

in addition I have started vomiting, my shake replacement and clear foam.

anyone have some suggestions?

i had a hiatal hernia repair, gall bladder and appendix removal at same time.

it could be a result of the hernia repair.

hollykim
on 12/26/17 6:09 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On December 26, 2017 at 11:10 PM Pacific Time, Rizzo0126 wrote:

i am 1 week post op, open DS conversion with a hiatal repair.

Just today I started having the feeling that something is stuck. My surgeon said i might.

in addition I have started vomiting, my shake replacement and clear foam.

anyone have some suggestions?

are you able to get any liquids down? If nothing ,not even clear liquid will go down ,you might have developed a stricture. You should call your surgeons office ASAP.

Rizzo0126
on 12/26/17 6:28 pm
Rizzo0126
on 12/26/17 6:35 pm

I had a hiatal hernia repair, gall bladder and appendix removal at same time.

its been happening since pm today other than that it has been normal. Clear liquid has been ok so far. Just tried 2 bites of soup and started to feel like something stuck and then vomiting started. As soon as what I have eaten comes up the pain resolves. Is it possible to be anything other than stricture or still call surgeon office? Thx

hollykim
on 12/26/17 6:44 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On December 27, 2017 at 2:35 AM Pacific Time, Rizzo0126 wrote:

I had a hiatal hernia repair, gall bladder and appendix removal at same time.

its been happening since pm today other than that it has been normal. Clear liquid has been ok so far. Just tried 2 bites of soup and started to feel like something stuck and then vomiting started. As soon as what I have eaten comes up the pain resolves. Is it possible to be anything other than stricture or still call surgeon office? Thx

it could be that due to swelling,you are not ready t9 progress on to anything thicker than clear liquids.

Personally, I would call my surgeon if I was having this issue. Better safe than sorry. That is what you paid him for.

larra
on 12/27/17 9:44 am - bay area, CA

Call your surgeon. No one, no matter how well meaning, can diagnose this over the internet. If you are unable to keep enough liquids down to stay hydrated, go to the ER if necessary, but the first step is to let the surgeon know and see what he/she wants to do.

Larra

Rizzo0126
on 12/27/17 11:31 am

I was looking to see if anyone had the same issue before crying wolf. I felt it was better to follow your advice and called my surgeon

Valerie G.
on 12/27/17 11:12 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Please tell me you've talked to your surgeon by now.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Rizzo0126
on 12/27/17 11:29 am

Yes I have, I called him last night, I just became too worried and it may have added to the problem.

since I was able to keep down clear liquids, I was advised to stay hydrated through the evening, nothing but liquids until late this morning. I have not had any issues since.

I moved to the soft food to soon. I have gone back to my liquid diet for another couple weeks. Still feeling good no further problems.

Thank you for you you reply and concern.

PeteA
on 1/2/18 8:58 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Good for you. It may seem like people had an abundance of caution in their answers but freshly post-op is the period where problems can range from nothing to life threatening. Never feel bad about checking in with the surgeon or anyone else.

5 years later I still remember the call to the "emergency" nurse after becoming super constipated. I felt silly but the reassurance was wort it.

I'm glad it wasn't some kind of blockage and probably just the swelling. The foamies can happen when you accidentally eat too much. It can be hard to tell what your actual capacity for food is in the first couple of months. It will be a small capacity but I was happy when I went from 2 oz to 3 oz at a meal.

Keep us in the loop with how you are progressing and any other issues.

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 267 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 742 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 250 views