Post OP and miserable!

Lmtorres1211
on 12/27/17 6:02 pm
DS on 12/20/17

Hello everyone,

I haven't posted on this site in ten yrs. Last time I did is when I first had the lap band procedure. A lot has happened since then. In 2012 I had my band removed and then I had the gastric sleeve performed. I did well, with it and lost 100lbs, but in 2015 my dad passed and I became quite depressed and gained weight back. Then I was blessed with my first child and again gain more weight. I have been unable to lost that weight in two yrs. My diabetes was getting worse again and I had already been put back on meds for it. I also redeveloped my ventral hernia. So my surgeon suggested that during my hernia repair he tighten my sleeve and do a revision from the sleeve to the Sadi Loop DS. I was very hesitant and scared to do this all again. With the sleeve I developed lots of hernias and developed gallstones so I had my gallbladder removed. I prayed about it a lot and decided that if the insurance approved it I'd go through with it. At first they denied it and I was ok with that but then my doctor got the decision overturned. So last week my surgery was performed. I had two hernias repaired ventral and haietal. I also had the loop ds revision performed. Since then I've been in such excruciating pain. The outer pain is expected. I know I have to heal from the swelling and such but the internal pain is even worse. I have had a neverending stomach ache and constant diarrhea. I called my doctor and he said to take imodium for the diarrhea and pepto for the stomach ache. Well that only works a little. Every time I eat the pain comes back. I'm only on full liquids at this time so there isn't much I'm eating to begin with. I went to the office today to get a refill on hydrocodone which us the only thing that calms the pain for a while. Usually because it puts me to sleep. The nutritionist said I need to cut all milk products out of my liquid diet. She's afraid the lactose is effecting my sensitive stomach at this time. I'll see if this helps over the next couple of days. Though I find myself depressed and aggregated. I'm wondering why did I do this to myself! Is this what my life will be from now on? Constantly in pain and with constant bowel problems? I know it's only been a week but I'm so impatient because of the pain. Anyway, if anyone has any advice, suggestions, or a similar story to give me hope that I'll get through this I'd really appreciate them. Thanks!

Janet P.
on 12/28/17 7:23 am

Take a deep breath. You just had major surgery so it's going to take some time for your insides to heal. Agree that the milk/dairy could be a problem, especially with the diarrhea. Remember that milk is carbohydrates, which turns into sugar, which could also be causing some of the diarrhea (and also not good for your diabetes). Stick to broths, soups, jello, etc. for a while to see if the pain subsides and the diarrhea slows down. Could the "stomach ache" be gas? Gas is also a big issue post-op. Did your surgeon give you something for the gas?

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

larra
on 12/28/17 1:43 pm - bay area, CA

I'd bet anything that a major part of the pain issue is reflux, esp given that your sleeve was tightened AND there is probably more pressure on your sleeve because of the hernia repairs as well. Are you taking something strong for reflux? You can get prilosec otc at any drug store and probably at almost any grocery store, get started on that and see if it helps. If not, ask your surgeon to prescribe a different PPI (proton pump inhibitor) for you - some people respond well to one, some to another, you won't know til you try.

Janet P.
on 12/29/17 3:48 am

Good suggestion Larra - my surgeon automatically prescribed a PPI (back then it was only by prescription).

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Valerie G.
on 1/2/18 8:35 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Milk is horrible to me, even 12 years post op DS. It gives me horrible gas almost immediately and diarrhea within a couple of hours so yeah, if you're ingesting dairy.....stop! I would even suggest so far as to eliminate whey protein, too. It also gives me problems and I switched to egg protein instead for drinks. There isn't a strong aftertaste and no stomach rumbles. It's definitely worth a try, because dairy intolerance is quite common especially at the beginning...especially milk.

Now that being said, for me, my problem is milk and sometimes sour cream (some brands, not all). All other cheese, yogurt, etc, sits fine with my system. I drink half&half with my coffee and cook with it with no problems. Cream is better (but more expensive). Milk is just the devil. I didn't like it much anyway, so I don't miss it.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 362 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views