Hypoglycemia during Exercising

Sunshine16
on 12/30/17 1:33 pm

Hey do any of you get low sugar when intensely exercising, aerobics or anything? If so, how do you manage or prevent?

Thank you,

Sunshine

SW / CW / GW 292 / 188 / 174 - Height 5'7, Size 10

NYMom222
on 1/1/18 6:49 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Do you eat before exercising? 45-an hour before is usually a good time frame. It needs time to actually get in your system. carb-fat-protien. Post exercise you should eat as well. Low blood sugar from exercise is far from unheard of even for Non- WLS patients.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Sunshine16
on 1/2/18 6:26 am

Thank you for responding, I appreciate that.

Well I would typically load up in my protein before introducing my body to carbs in the morning. That is when I worked out hard this weekend. Perhaps just before working out I need to eat some bread.

Are you saying should eat 45 minutes before working out?

I felt weak.

SW / CW / GW 292 / 188 / 174 - Height 5'7, Size 10

NYMom222
on 1/2/18 7:49 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

45 minutes is a good time frame. As someone who gets both hypoglycemic and reactive hypoglycemic episodes...in general your blood sugar starts to peak about 45-60 minutes after eating. So yes 45 minutes is a good place to start. And while in general during weight loss we try to stay away from carbs (I don't have DS so that may not be as true for you) you may need some carbs pre-workout especially if you are getting hypoglycemic episodes and working out hard.

If I workout late in the day I just have a meal about an hour before.

If I workout early, I will drink my coffee with Fairlife milk first (I need my caffeine) then have a half an english muffin with PB or melted cheese or I like Hodgsen Mills Bulgar wheat as a hot cereal w/ 1 or 2 tbsp PB. Their Bulgar Wheat has better stats than oatmeal, and I find I am very satisfied on one serving- I prep 4 servings at a time and then reheat.

An egg with a slice of toast and a clementine is good too. Lately if I am feeling really sluggish pre-workout I find a clementine or small orange works wonders.

You have to experiment. Sometimes I will have a protein drink post workout. usually want to eat something within an hour after. Doesn't need to be a whole meal.

Granted some of this is trial and error, you have to find out what works for you. You need to listen to your body. I had a chance to wear a continuous glucose monitor for several weeks and realized I was having a lot more lows than I realized...It's just when I did I naturally ate something. I felt like I was eating all the time, then I understood why. It's when I ignored it that I had the really low episodes.

I would carry a protein bar with me too until you figure this out and if you need break off a piece and eat it during your workout. May not need the whole thing.

I do read some of the bodybuilding stuff, and while we may be special snowflakes in many ways, and need to adjust, many of the principles still apply.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 363 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views