CREON

fluffy_me
on 12/31/17 1:59 pm

Hey, is anyone taking Creon?

I was on TPN for a month, and now I take Creon (40,000) 3 / 4 times a day. I'm not underweight at all, but I became ill and lost my appetite for 6 months and became malabsorbed. I'm eating back to normal, but I'm not sure if I'm taking the Creon properly..?

I was wondering:

1) I take Creon with my protein shakes, so that i am mostly absorbing protein, and very little carbs. After how many minuets can I eat my next meal? I usually wait for 45 mins once I've finished the protein shake...but is that enough time? Sometimes I get so hungry I can't for 45 mins.

2) I wait for 5 mins, once i've take my Creon capsule, before I start eating... is that correct?

3) Once I take Creon, and start eating, how long does it work for? I usually take 45 mins to eat - but i might have a 10 min break in between the meal - and that will take me an hour to eat.

The reason why I'm asking is because I think I'm absorbing carbs (because of the Creon) and have put on some weight.

fluffy_me
on 12/31/17 2:04 pm

Just to add, if I don't take Creon with my vitamins, does that mean that I will not absorb the vitamins properly? Some of my vit levels have dropped.

I am going to see my surgeon soon, however, it's always best to hear from others who have personal experience.

(deactivated member)
on 12/31/17 2:29 pm
fluffy_me
on 12/31/17 10:54 pm

Hey, Thanks for your reply. I shall definitely be talking to my surgeon.

However, he did mention earlier that Creon was the best (from the other few) as I am not absorbing protein and other vitamins from meals. My issue is that i'm putting on weight, and i am not underweight.

hollykim
on 1/1/18 1:51 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On December 31, 2017 at 9:59 PM Pacific Time, fluffy_me wrote:

Hey, is anyone taking Creon?

I was on TPN for a month, and now I take Creon (40,000) 3 / 4 times a day. I'm not underweight at all, but I became ill and lost my appetite for 6 months and became malabsorbed. I'm eating back to normal, but I'm not sure if I'm taking the Creon properly..?

I was wondering:

1) I take Creon with my protein shakes, so that i am mostly absorbing protein, and very little carbs. After how many minuets can I eat my next meal? I usually wait for 45 mins once I've finished the protein shake...but is that enough time? Sometimes I get so hungry I can't for 45 mins.

2) I wait for 5 mins, once i've take my Creon capsule, before I start eating... is that correct?

3) Once I take Creon, and start eating, how long does it work for? I usually take 45 mins to eat - but i might have a 10 min break in between the meal - and that will take me an hour to eat.

The reason why I'm asking is because I think I'm absorbing carbs (because of the Creon) and have put on some weight.

I can't speak to the Creon but what I can say is that we absorb 100% of the carb calories we eat.

We malasorb protein, and fat but not carbs.

if you are eating carbs that is where your gain is coming from.

PattyL
on 1/1/18 2:34 pm

I have heard several people say viokase is better for us than creon. Honestly I don't remember why so research it yourself. I probably wasn't paying much attention because I am always trying to lose weight!

MarinaGirl
on 1/1/18 2:52 pm

Anecdotally, I've heard it is sometimes prescribed for WLS patients that are underweight as it often causes weight gain.

PeteA
on 1/6/18 2:45 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Creon will increase your absorption of starches which are along with sugars make up carbs. This is something I saw on webmd "This medication contains digestive enzymes to help break down and digest fats, starch, and proteins in food." It more than likely would change a balanced maintenance eating schedule to one where you would gain from it.

I haven't used creon so I can't help with the timing although I have to say I'm not sure the way you describe taking it is correct. What were the Docs instructions? Online it says to take it with food but that seems to be more to avoid stomach upset than for a particular meal. You might ask the Doc or the pharmacist how long a dose lasts. Maybe there is a big rush of digestive enzymes when you first take it but maybe it increases the enzymes throughout the day and not for a particular meal.

Wish I could help more. Most people I've seen taking creon were protein deficient and losing too much weight.

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

Most Active
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 56 views
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 56 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 628 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 228 views