On bacon

Fire_Ice
on 1/11/18 7:21 pm
DS on 10/25/17

It's been a bit difficult finding foods I can eat that my body will tolerate and that actually taste good to me, all while getting enough protein.

So I cooked up a package of bacon (I made them extra crispy - I'm not sure what the volume would be, but they were tiny). They tasted amazing. Had it with breakfast. Then as a snack. With lunch. By the end of the evening, I had eaten the entire package. I figure this can't be good for me, but I've done it more than once. I just can't resist bacon once I've cooked it up.

How bad is it to eat so much bacon? Should I stop buying it?

MajorMom
on 1/12/18 1:58 am - VA

Bacon is our health food. Eat up!

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

hollykim
on 1/12/18 6:38 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 12, 2018 at 3:21 AM Pacific Time, Fire_Ice wrote:

It's been a bit difficult finding foods I can eat that my body will tolerate and that actually taste good to me, all while getting enough protein.

So I cooked up a package of bacon (I made them extra crispy - I'm not sure what the volume would be, but they were tiny). They tasted amazing. Had it with breakfast. Then as a snack. With lunch. By the end of the evening, I had eaten the entire package. I figure this can't be good for me, but I've done it more than once. I just can't resist bacon once I've cooked it up.

How bad is it to eat so much bacon? Should I stop buying it?

it is actually great for us since we malasorb fat. It is old school thinking that bacon is bad for us. It is not fat that is bad for us,or anyone for that matter,but carbs that are bad.

Janet P.
on 1/12/18 6:56 am

I eat a TON of bacon - it's a food group for me. I eat bacon daily. My breakfast every day is 2 eggs, two slices of cheese, 5-6 slices of pre-cooked bacon (I get mine at Costco) and usually an English muffin (or some other form of bread). Every day. It's approximately 25-30 grams of protein. My cholesterol is spot on.

Don't worry and enjoy!

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

PattyL
on 1/12/18 9:59 am

Solution, buy bigger packages. I buy bacon 40lbs at a time from Zaycon Foods.

Fire_Ice
on 1/12/18 10:14 am
DS on 10/25/17

Thanks for the advice! I'm glad to know that my bacon obsession is okay and won't make me gain weight and that I'm not actually eating too much. :)

NoreenRT
on 1/15/18 6:00 pm - Warner Robins, GA

I've been known to eat bacon for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. All in the same day.

This is a regular occurrence with me.

Noreen  HW 352 / SW 324 / CW 175/ LW/ 148 / GW 150   (achieved Aug 14 '11)

Donna L.
on 1/18/18 6:01 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Fat isn't bad for you. It's carbohydrate that raises insulin, and it's super high insulin that is actually the cause of cardiovascular and neurological diseases. They are actually starting to call Alzheimer's "diabetes type 3" for instance.

My friend Dave Feldman did a bunch of neat comics about how cholesterol actually works.

I don't have a DS, however I eat a high fat diet, and my total cholesterol dropped to about 130 after doing it. And, that's without a DS where you absolutely must have extra fat. So.

Might want to try duck fat, too. Duck fat is also fabulous. I often will cook chicken thighs in duck fat, and (more rarely) vegetables. I eat almost all animal protein only, but veggies cooked in duck fat are pretty amazing. Many things I find unpalatable become delicious with duck fat.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

SA79
on 1/18/18 7:19 pm

This is extremely true, about duck fat. Soooo delicious!

Valerie G.
on 2/9/18 12:29 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Bacon is a wonderful food for us.

A favorite of mine for getting protein in is called Ricotta Fluff

Mix a 16oz tub of ricotta with SF instant pudding powder, then whip with just enough cream to make a pudding consistency.

Another favorite for ricotta is inside-out lasagna. Add some egg, parmesan and nutmeg, top with sauce and cheese and then bake.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 355 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 133 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1049 views