For Post-Op: Most Nutrient Rich Foods/Polyphenols

babettes_feast
on 2/18/18 4:13 pm

Has anyone seen a list of high nutrient-dense foods for DSers? I'm thinking about how to get maximum nutrition while having malabsorption. There must be scores of books about this. Also, related to this but in a way that delivers them much more intensively: does anyone here take a polyphenol/probiotic supplement?

Janet P.
on 2/19/18 6:53 am

I honestly don't look at food that way so hopefully someone else can answer your questions. I simply eat the protein I like and make sure I get at least 120 grams per day.

As to a probiotic, I take Garden of Life Primal Defense HSO Probiotic. I take 2 every morning. I am a creature of habit. Every morning I have two 16-ounce glasses crystal lite orange. First glass has one scoop of organic fiber. The second glass is for my vitamins. If nothing else, that gives me (at a minimum) half my water for the day.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

PeteA
on 2/19/18 8:03 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Interesting approach. I listed on the bottom just the skimming of Google about what that might entail. I did see some interesting stuff about polyphenols. Never heard / considered that before. Definitely something needing more research on my part.

Parts of this are opposite how many of us approach the DS diet, at least during the active weight loss phase. Usually a protein first approach with a low to negative thought about eating lean cuts of meats because of the fat malabsorption. Also with the protein first approach it takes a while before people have much room for fruits and vegetables ( although this can be pretty variable by individual )

Looking back at my diet post-op I would have to say just as happenstance I was heavy on fish and seeds (sunflower seeds) and dairy but the rest had to wait until I was a couple of years out.

Personally my labs are OK and I guess I'm not at the point where I would consider this without having mre reason for it.

Nutrient-rich (or nutrient-dense) foods contain a lot of vitamins and minerals and few calories. They also are low in sugar, sodium, starches, and bad fats. ... Foods that naturally are nutrient-ri*****lude fruits and vegetables. Lean meats, fish, whole grains, dairy, legumes, nuts, and seeds also are high in nutrients.

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

babettes_feast
on 2/19/18 8:15 am

I'm definitely about protein first, however I'm wondering if berries, for example, high in polyphenols, can be worked into shakes early out or of there are issues with fiber. If I can't have these nutrient-dense foods, there are lots of polyphenol powders... maybe one of those will be OK mixed with water or protein drink. I'll ask my surgeon and nutritionist.

PeteA
on 2/27/18 7:11 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I'm not sure why the fiber would be an issue. Best if you mix with a protein drink. Mostly people would say that this might be too much sugar for the initial weight loss phase possibly slowing things down. However, as long as you get your protein in the only issues are what you are shooting for in carbs / sugars for the first 18 months or so.

PattyL
on 2/19/18 11:07 am

Beware of making all of this too difficult. Just eat the protein and take the pills. Down the road when you have healed and lost the weight, you can experiment on yourself.

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 360 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 134 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1050 views