Officially 5 days post op and I'm miserable

Jmoco
on 3/13/18 3:53 pm
DS on 03/05/18

my Nasogastric tube caused a clot to settle in my stomach and stretched my staple line. Lots of vomiting and returned to OR. Felt better yesterday and now the heart burn is miserable. Taking the medicine prescribed, but I'm so uncomfortable. Someone please tell me it gets better soon? I'm starting to regret this decision.

(deactivated member)
on 3/13/18 5:58 pm

So sorry your not feeling well and for your complication. Hopefully the medicine they gave you will kick in and you will start to feel better. I had a complication 10 days out and once I got medicine all was good from then on.

i had RNY not DS but I just wanted to tell you it will get better. It is tough and exhausting in the beginning but in time you will feel better.

Try to rest and drink enough water.... can you chew tums to help or is that off limits with medicine they gave you?

Jmoco
on 3/13/18 6:04 pm
DS on 03/05/18

My surgeon said take the regnal to get the stomach moving and then take pepto. Hoping it helps soon. It's hard to take in fluids when I feel so full and uncomfortable.

Thank you you for the encouragement. It feel like everyone I know had such an easy experience, but mine has been rough!

(deactivated member)
on 3/13/18 6:34 pm

Hang in there. Hopefully once past this bump it will improve.

I had ischemia 10 days out, piece of tissue died in my abdomen from my surgery and had terrible pain an after an ordeal at the ER and antibiotics and medicine it cleared up...first 6 months were very exhausting but I healed and it was so worth it! Coming up on 10 years. Try to stay positive, a bump in the road and you are getting better. I know your not feeling well so hard but it will get better for you. Day by day once the medicine takes hold.

Janet P.
on 3/14/18 3:24 am

So sorry to hear about your complication, but it does get better. Keep following your surgeon's instructions but you must get fluids in. That is more important than anything. Just keep sipping.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

(deactivated member)
on 3/14/18 3:15 pm

Are you feeling a little better today? Hope so.

Jmoco
on 3/15/18 9:43 am
DS on 03/05/18

I'm feeling better today. I've been walking outside and enjoying the beautiful weather.

PeteA- my surgeon places a nasogastric tube for all DS surgery patients. Not sure as to his reasoning.

(deactivated member)
on 3/15/18 10:45 am

Glad to hear you are feeling better. Fresh air helps! Even here in CT where it is still chilly! Hopefully you will be clear sailing from here on in!! :)

Janet P.
on 3/16/18 9:50 am
On March 15, 2018 at 4:43 PM Pacific Time, Jmoco wrote:

I'm feeling better today. I've been walking outside and enjoying the beautiful weather.

PeteA- my surgeon places a nasogastric tube for all DS surgery patients. Not sure as to his reasoning.

I had a tube the entire time I was in the hospital. I remember this clearly because at the time I had very bad sleep apnea and I couldn't use my c-pap because of the tube. I was a zombie by the time I got out of the hospital because I literally didn't sleep for 4 days.

So glad you're feeling better.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

PeteA
on 3/15/18 6:32 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble. I hope things are getting a little better for you.

If you don't mind can you tell me why you had a nasogastric tube in the first place. Just not something I've heard before.

Feel better,

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 105 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 655 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 233 views