Carb threshold?

Fire_Ice
on 3/30/18 12:10 pm
DS on 10/25/17

So for those of you who are further out, do you have a carb threshold you try to stay under? As much as I would love to eat nothing but eggs and bacon for the next forty or fifty years of my life (slight sarcasm), I would really like to be able to have some carbs. (I can't imagine never having ice cream again.)

I'm wondering whether you have a line you try to stay under, like no more than 20 or 30 g of carbs a day, or if you just don't worry about it as long as you're not gaining. I'm looking at keto diets for food suggestions, and they do have carb thresholds that they try to stay under.

An update on my situation - I'm down to 173. The least I ever weighed as a teen/adult was 170 (I am big boned and six feet tall****ep thinking I'm getting close to the end of the ride, but I'm not even six months out yet. I am within a normal BMI now. If I keep losing at this rate I might end up looking kind of emaciated, and that worries me. That I might end up being one of those people who lose too much weight (a problem I would have killed for before my surgery, right?).

PattyL
on 3/30/18 1:20 pm

Congratulations!!!!! Reaching a goal is a big deal. Why is there always a but?

BUT, reality says many if not most gain back about 10%. It's called bounceback. So, I always tell people to try for 10% below goal, knowing most have some bounceback and the size and shape of their bodies will continue to change. Looks like you are one of the lucky ones. Keep on losing! Try for 20 more and you will most likely end up perfect. Don't even think about losing too much till your BMI is hovering around underweight.

Here is a pretty guilt free ice cream that's really good. Make sf pudding with HWC and either put it in the ice cream machine or just freeze it. You can use an egg custard for the base to add protein if you want.

Janet P.
on 4/1/18 4:56 am

Congrats on getting to your goal. Not sure how much you've already lost but you're only 6 months out and that's fast. Not sure how much you lost and what your high weight was.

Couple of observations regarding carbs. Carbs are what will slow/stop the weight loss. As you get farther out you start eating more - less restriction. Once you start introducing carbs the weight loss will slow, and ultimately come to a stop. It then becomes all about the balance of what works for you. How many carbs you can eat, while still maintaining your weight loss and not feeling horrible. Everyone reacts differently to carbs (gas, bloating, etc.), so you have to find what's comfortable for you.

I won't lie - I'm 15 years post-op and probably eat several hundred grams of carbs per day. Depends on the day, whether I'm home or not, what I'm in the mood for, etc. I also always take all my vitamins, drink a minimum of 64 ounces of water, and also always, always exceed my protein target (protein still comes first). I never, ever eat a meal that doesn't have protein.

I lost 175 pounds in just over a year, my lowest weight was 140 (I'm 5'3"). Looked and felt horrible. Ultimately wound up around 155. Was at 155 for years but slowly crept up to 165 within the last couple of years. But (and this is why I had the DS) I was able to lose those 10 pounds simply by cutting back on carbs.

You'll find the balance.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Valerie G.
on 4/2/18 10:31 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I am mindful of carbs, but never deprived. When I feel it getting out of control, I scale back, because the addiction is still there if I let it be.

Just take the ride, and let your DS do it's thing. It will slow down and creep back up again, so you might enjoy those tiny clothes for up to a year, but the you'll go up a size. At my lowest, I was told I look like a scarecrow, but officially I was a normal weight. Having put on 25 lbs, though, I feel quite normal.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

(deactivated member)
on 4/2/18 4:24 pm
meq815
on 4/5/18 1:50 pm - PA

Your daily goal is 300 grams of carbs? Not judging, just curious...

(deactivated member)
on 4/5/18 2:03 pm
PeteA
on 4/3/18 12:56 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

5 years out and I don't pay special attention to carbs unless I've gained into my
"no go" zone - between 235 and 240. I still keep a couple of habits that I'm sure
keep my carb intake a little in control.

Most meals I do protein first. If I happen to do a meal that I think is mostly carbs
I might do some extra protein shakes the next couple of days.

I am also more lax personally if I know I'm hitting my exercise goals. If I haven't been
exercising then I pay more attention to eating into the DS.

What is your goal weight? While people talk about hitting a set point and getting a little
bounce back my experience was that it had more to do with my changing my eating
habits from mostly protein to a more varied diet, including more carbs.

Not to question your self assessment but I found that after a couple of years I no longer
thought of myself as big boned. :) Not skinny in my mind but compared to the majority
of people I run across definitely not fat.

You might find that you get to a point where you or your friends think you look emaciated.
It's a common comment to people that lose a lot of weight. Even though I don't put much stock
in BMI as a tool it can at least give you an idea if a Doc would consider you underweight. Not that
you can't work at maintaining wherever you decide you are comfortable but maybe shoot for 10 lbs under that number to allow for some ups and downs.

It's pretty rare that people actually can't stop losing, not a worry you can easily get rid of but don't borrow trouble. Sounds like you are doing great. Congrats!!!

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

Janet P.
on 4/4/18 4:15 am

Pete - I can so related to this statement:

Not to question your self assessment but I found that after a couple of years I no longer
thought of myself as big boned. :) Not skinny in my mind but compared to the majority
of people I run across definitely not fat.

I'm 5'3" and when I weighed 320 pounds I was "big boned". Now that I'm 155 pounds I'm petite. I think our perception of ourselves changes but it takes time.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 361 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views