(deactivated member)
on 5/29/18 12:10 pm, edited 6/18/18 1:22 pm

califsleevin
on 5/30/18 7:41 am - CA

Usually, if nothing is popping out or hurting, there is no need for immediate attention - many have small hernias that they aren't aware of. It is not something that is specific to your bariatric surgeon, as any general surgeon can fix them; post-op WLS patients often have them repaired at the same time that they have plastics, if they need it, and it can often be used to partially offset the cost of the reconstruction which usually isn't insurable, but the hernia is. I had a similar small incisional hernia that I wasn't aware of which the plastic surgeon found upon examination and he fixed it while he did the rest of the work.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Janet P.
on 5/30/18 7:50 am

Your friend is probably right (I've never had a hernia but have heard the same thing). If you decide to have it checked out, you don't need your WLS surgeon but assume he/she is a "general" surgeon so they could probably answer your questions.

If you've ever thought about plastic surgery you may be able to use this as a reason to have insurance pay for your plastics.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

PattyL
on 5/30/18 12:11 pm

It might be your ticket to plastics. It will probably get bigger over time. Any surgeon can fix a hernia BTW.

I have had a huge hernia since 2009. I can't afford to get it fixed and it is painful. I am holding out till I get Medicare. I am hoping to parlay it into at least a panniculectomy and hopefully an abdominoplasty.

(deactivated member)
on 5/30/18 7:53 pm
sweetpotato1959
on 6/15/18 8:10 am

The danger in hernias is when material pops thru the hole in the abdominal lining and it does not reduce, causing a strangulation,( dying tissue )if it is not found promptly.

One way to prevent strangulation is to gently press the area after straining.. either in the bathroom or in the gym...to make sure it has reduced- ie..the material has returned to it's proper place.As long as it is not tender or sore you can take your time. When it becomes tender and sore you should see a good surgeon immediately...Strangulation is an emergency.

.. Using an abdominal support may prevent it from getting bigger while you prepare your body, mind and financials for surgery. I would definitely see a PS to explore the possibility of getting PS at same time as the hernia repair.

.... Doing exercises such as the Keagle,Pelvic rock and pelvic tilt can also help with strengthening muscle..and preventing complications in the lower abdomen and pelvic region. Muscle tone can not be mimic'd with surgery. Surgery is a good "add on" to an already toned underneath.

Sgerbie
on 5/31/18 5:58 pm
DS on 04/11/18

You should have surgeon see it. I had one after my first gastric by pass. I had to have it fixed. I now had the DS. Be safe. You don't want it to get bigger and have an intestine pop through and get stuck. That would be bad.

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 363 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views