Stuck

Sgerbie
on 5/31/18 5:54 pm
DS on 04/11/18

Hi all I'm 7 weeks out and have lost 27 pounds. I'm stuck the last two weeks not losing. Up a pound down a pound. I struggle to get enough calories. Protein I'm able to get in with eating and gen pro powder. I eat between 600-700 calories. Any advise. I am walking and moving around.

Thanks

Clarkestep
on 5/31/18 8:17 pm

You may want to change your protein powder. Genpro lost a lawsuit a few months ago for falls advertising about the grams of protein in their product. I've read somewhere that one scoop is only like 10g for DSers and our ability to absorb. If this is the case maybe you aren't getting enough protein?.. Im only 8days out so I may be wrong. I've also heard of a stall week between week 3 and 4. Maybe your tempory stall is a little late. I would keep following your doctor's instructions and things should start to roll again.... At least that's what Ive read.

Clarkestep
on 5/31/18 8:17 pm
Janet P.
on 6/1/18 3:06 am

Don't count calories. With the DS everything you ever learned about "dieting" goes completely out the window.

At 7 weeks you should be getting close to 60 grams of protein (rule is 30 grams by 30 days, 60 by 60 days, and 90 by 90 days). How much water are you drinking? You should be getting at least 64 ounces of water a day.

The DS "diet" is all about protein and carbs -- high protein and low carbs. Calories don't matter anymore. Make sure you staying completely away from anything that's labeled "low fat" or "diet" (low fat equals higher carbs - they add sugar when they take out the fat). Fat is your friend with the DS.

I can't advise about protein supplements because I don't use them so hopefully others can chime in.

Patience is the hardest thing to learn. The DS is a marathon, not a sprint.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Sgerbie
on 6/1/18 7:19 am
DS on 04/11/18

Thank I figured out this week I had to stop counting calories. Now I need to get all tha****er in. I get between 32-48 each day.

Thanks for your reply

shsharon

hollykim
on 6/1/18 6:31 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On June 1, 2018 at 12:54 AM Pacific Time, Sgerbie wrote:

Hi all I'm 7 weeks out and have lost 27 pounds. I'm stuck the last two weeks not losing. Up a pound down a pound. I struggle to get enough calories. Protein I'm able to get in with eating and gen pro powder. I eat between 600-700 calories. Any advise. I am walking and moving around.

Thanks

what does a days menu look like for you? Maybe we can help Tweak it for you.

Sgerbie
on 6/1/18 7:28 am
DS on 04/11/18

Breakfast is an egg or oat meal or yogurt all at 4 oz's. Lunch is 4oz of chicken or turkey burger. Dinner is fish or chicken or turkey. I don't really eat snacks unless I need more protein everything is low fat and low sugar. I get dizzy if I don't eat enough sugar I thought it was fluids but have realized it's sugar. I did have an egg this week on whole wheat English muffin. I will use ketchup or mustard. I get in 32-46 ounces of water. Not drinking protein drinks there to sweet. Instead I use Genpro in yougurt and soup to get in protein. That's about my new life right now.

thanks for any suggestion

sharon

L

PeteA
on 6/1/18 8:24 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

More water / liquids for sure. Try both hot and cold, broth, crystal light, G2, propel, etc.
Early on I got a lot of liquids in with tea and broth because it seemed to go down easier.

How much protein were you counting from the GenPro? Protein might need to be increased. I counted about 60gms from the food you listed.

It's not the sugar. What are you using to up the amount of sugar you think you need?

It's possible you are getting blood sugar lows. Do you have an testing equipment? To combat this add some kind of protein snacks in between meals. I tend to favor protein and cheese sticks or a piece of cheese or lunch meat from the deli section.

If the protein shakes are too sweet you might want to try a powder that you can mix with water. I like Optimum Nutrition 100% whey because I can make it thinner and then it not very sweet either. I like all the chocolates and the vanilla. Other flavors are OK but I get tired of them before I'm done with the purchase so I've been keeping to chocolates and vanilla.

You might be at a little bit of a stall but a little early for that. Are you taking measurements as you go? Things like Waist, neck, arms, and thighs? Sometimes you wil lsee changes there even if you aren't seeing changes on the scale.

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

Sgerbie
on 6/1/18 9:53 am
DS on 04/11/18

Thank you so much. I was using genpro teice daily so about 60 grams. But now I'm told the genpro May be wrong and only about 10. I did not know they got sued for false amounts. I will take your advise on the other stuff and try it. I hate being stalled. I know it happens. I might not be getting in enough of anything.

Thanks again and keep going you are doing great. You must feel so much better.

Sharon

Janet P.
on 6/1/18 10:42 am

Is there a medical reason that you feel you need more sugar? In my opinion, you're definitely not drinking enough water -- at least 64 ounces a day.

Oatmeal has no (or minimal) protein - if you want to get all your protein from food (which at this stage for you will be a challenge) you need to stick to high protein foods. I love a high protein breakfast - great way to start the day - eggs, bacon, cheese. Remember fat is your friend.

Are you tracking your food. You might want to start a diary to track protein and carbs. The more sugar you consume the more "stuck" you will get. Read labels. Don't eat anything that's marked "low fat". Low fat is higher sugar, which turns into carbohydrates, which you will absorb 100%.

You need more protein so you need to start snacking more. Good snacks are deli meat/cheese, nuts, jerky, hard boiled eggs. Ultimately you'll need to get a minimum of 90 grams of protein a day. Think about how you're going to get there.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 250 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 734 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 244 views