Non celiac gluten sensitivy after DS

Ladybird54
on 6/4/18 9:53 am

ive suffered for years with what I assumed was IBS or just symptoms of my surgery. After a routine colonoscopy indicated damage to my villi I underwent further tests for celiac but all negative. I eliminated gluten and wow, what a difference to my life. Energy back, headaches gone and no more rushing to the toilet! I just wondered if anyone else has become gluten intolerant after the DS but not realized?

(deactivated member)
on 6/4/18 7:05 pm
Ladybird54
on 6/6/18 6:36 am

Only the gluten, seemed to be the culprit of all my misery! Glad you have isolated most of your sensitivities too!

sweetpotato1959
on 6/14/18 6:05 pm

IF you have just gas... followed by gastritis symtoms... extra gastric enzymes for digesting your problem foods may allow you to eat them in moderation again. I picked up a probiotic with multiple enzymes,At wally world spring__ brand... and have found if i use 5 of these before a meal/with a meal I do not have the gas... If you are not at goal, it can slow your weight loss. so it is not something to do daily.

Eggs give me a lot of problems...( smell is like sulfa) unless i use mccormic meat tenderizer/ or one of the others with no Msg.( dollar generals clover valley one is clean)..key is to look from bromelin or papaya enzyme , no more than 3-4 ingredients....and nothing marked "spices or msg.." as ingredient..

i normally can not have milk or cheese of any kind, anything with milk by produts or whey in any amount..including casesin, whey.. I can use lactose milk. ..

.. I have been reading about the A2 Milk, it is very low in lactose... but not available here. I keep carbs around 50... so not much bread. No soda unless in a bottle and shaken well, several times to expel the carbination., then only 3or 4 ounces.

... again, try the barilla pasta, or another brand where the country allows no GMO ingredients.

Valerie G.
on 6/6/18 9:43 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

It concerns me that you're just now learning this!

Gluten intolerance (non related to celiac) is extremely common for DSers and even RNYers. I still indulge in some, but I know my limits and biggest contributors to gastric effects and what to avoid. You must have really been enjoying the pasta for those effects (at least that's what might cause such a thing for me).

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Ladybird54
on 6/6/18 12:58 pm

You can really only know something if you've read or been told it. I was never given any post op advice as I had my surgery in Belgium in 2004 and was sent home being told to eat 40 gram of protein a day when I could eat again. I eventually joined a forum like this but it was never mentioned. Gluten was not even a word on people's radar many years ago. The only help I've had is regular blood tests which besides anemia have always been ok. The colonoscopy was the first evidence I had that made me think this could be a problem. My symptoms are not just bowel related but mood, skin and joint related to and I've had many many tests over the years for different illnesses. I recently learned thru elimination that only a small amount of gluten causes very severe reactions. I'm still experimenting but hopefully I'll see what I can tolerate now I know. Thanks for reply

Valerie G.
on 6/6/18 4:38 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

I've been on this board since 2003, I think, and it's common knowledge here. I'm sorry you were so misled in Belgium. Now, you know to get at least 100g of protein now, right?

There are also some DS-specific forums on other social media pages that they don't appreciate I mention.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Beam me up Scottie
on 6/6/18 7:09 pm
No. I eat a lot of gluten....it makes everything taste so much better.

Scott
Crazeru
on 6/8/18 2:21 pm

I was lactose intolerant going into my DS and came out whey & lactose intolerant. Gluten came next. I do like good french bread when out, but try to avoid most bread and pasta only at Italian places. I did have a cheese burger yesterday and paid for it in the evening with more gas than usual, but it tasted great. I try not indulge too often.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

Ladybird54
on 6/8/18 2:38 pm

Thanks for replying. Burgers and pizza are my big things I miss, can live without the rest of the gluten. I have found sour dough doesn't effect me as bad

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 362 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views