vitamins with very fatty & oily meals

krishna
on 6/23/18 11:49 am, edited 6/23/18 11:59 am

Can you take dry vitamins with very fatty or oily meals - will the vitamins be absorbed properly?

Since oil based vitamins will not be absorbed, does the above apply as well?

How long a gap should there be between very fatty foods and vitamins?

Janet P.
on 6/24/18 12:45 pm

Interesting question. I never thought about it. Hopefully we'll get some responses.

As a rule, I try to take my vitamins at least 30 minutes before I eat because the calcium fills me up.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

PattyL
on 6/24/18 1:58 pm, edited 6/24/18 6:59 am

THIS is exactly why I laugh at a few people who dole out advice on supplements. Dry is better absorbed by us and that's a fact. However if you slam back all those expensive dry vites with a fatty meal or drink, you will not absorb as much because you are mixing them with fat. I knew someone(besides me) would post this eventually!

Here is the truth according to me. Everyone malabsorbs. Poop has calories and vitamins/minerals in it. All poop, not just ours. Normies ingest food or supplements that don't go together. Happens every day in regular normal meals. It's a fact of life. Supplements are more important to us than they are to normies. So we pay more attention. But it's still performance over time. Nothing you do today matters. What you do every day does.

In the morning, I know I am going to take my pills with coffee more than half the time. And my coffee has HWC in it so plenty of fat. My morning vites do have some of the cheap oil based gelcaps at 4 or 5X dosages included. I don't waste my expensive dry D on morning vites. It takes a normal stomach 4 hours to empty completely. Ours is probably a bit faster. I have dinner at 6 or 7pm and I take my night time vites around midnight. This is when I take all the expensive dry vites. I know my stomach will be pretty empty and intestinal peristalsis slows at night. I want the expensive vites to have more time hanging around their receptors in my small intestine.

To me, this is just common sense. This works for me. I don't claim it will work for everyone. But I do think a common sense approach to supplements makes sense for everyone!

mjctexas2015
on 6/25/18 7:48 pm

so other than D, what else do you take at midnight?

PattyL
on 6/25/18 8:34 pm

You caught me right after I finished my vites. So I can do this easily!

1 multi

magnesium

potassium

K's

biotin

calcium citrate

calcium apatite

aspirin

dry d

dry a

vitamin c

iron

MarinaGirl
on 6/26/18 11:30 am

Is there a reason that you take iron and calcium together? My surgeon drilled into me to take them separately (2-4 hours apart) as taken together will impede absorption of both.

PattyL
on 6/27/18 2:22 am

Some people have to be more diligent than I do. At 15 years out, I don't have as much malabsorbtion as a newbie and I have never been deficient in anything. So I don't worry about what goes with what. My prime directive is to just take the pills!

mjctexas2015
on 6/26/18 7:42 pm

Thanks Patty! I have another question - do you take all your daily recommended doses of those vitamins at midnight? Do you mind sharing what your daily vit regime is and at what times?

Thanks so much!

PattyL
on 6/27/18 2:23 am

I will write it out for you tomorrow!

sonnen01
on 7/14/18 6:34 pm

Is that three times a day? How many pills do you average per day or meal? Thanks!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 108 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 657 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 233 views