Edible Marijuana: Old Timer Question

Stacie_S55
on 6/30/18 6:26 pm

I'm not technically a new member, but I'm such an old member that I can't remember my old name and password. :) My old name was just "Stacie S." I had my DS in December 2006 in Brazil with Dr. Marchesini. I've maintained a loss of about 140-160 pounds for almost 12 years. I never got down below 220, but from almost 400 and 5'9", it's a good deal better.

So here's my question (asking for a friend): On a recent trip to Washington state (recreational marijuana is legal there), a DS patient I know sampled two types of edibles, and they had absolutely NO effect on her. She also tried smoking, and the effect was much stronger. Does the altered DS anatomy keep marijuana from getting into the bloodstream through edibles? I searched Google, and didn't really find any information, so throwing this out there in case anyone knows.

Janet P.
on 7/1/18 2:57 am

Hi Stacie S. Congrats on maintaining your weight loss. Hopefully the rest of your health is good too (labs, etc.).

Speaking for a friend with the DS, she had a similar experience. Smoking felt the full effect. She recently tried edibles because she had a houseguest who brought along a small housewarming gift (from a legal state). It was a pack of gummy treats. The guest cut it into small pieces and felt the full effect, but my friend had minimal reaction to the gummy.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

PattyL
on 7/5/18 10:20 am

I live in NV where it's legal. MJ has the same effect on us as it does anyone else. Smoking is always the instant 'hit'. But the edibles seem to be hit and miss for everyone. I LOVE indica for sleep and I prefer the edibles. They don't make me feel tired or high, I just sleep better. I know some people who do get high from edibles and a lot of people who do not! I am one who doesn't and I didn't before the DS either.

Raisty
on 7/26/18 5:26 am

hah I need to comment on this. I had DS surgery in May of 2015. Marijuana is not yet legal where I live. However, hemp oil is legal (its not cbd oil in fact you can buy it on amazon). I absorb way more than the standard DS person (this is judging from my labs and the fact I can just take some d3 and call it a day). However I still have issues getting enough good fat in. (I still don't like the idea of eating a stick of butter yet I'll eat a can of olives). Anyway I was experiencing anxiety and some pain from older injuries. I tried some hemp oil ( you are supposed to hold it under your tongue).

It worked for me! I do mean this as I'm a bit of skeptic and I stopped taking it for 2 weeks to see the difference. My skin, hair (I managed to keep it through surgery but it never ventured mid back length and it is there now), and OMG my nails do so much better taking the hemp oil. My shoulder (I injured it as a teenager) gets almost full movement with hemp oil compared to not taking it.

My anxiety improved but I still can't say why. The reason I say this is when I started taking hemp oil I was extremely anxious to the point I nearly went to the doctor in hopes of getting my life back (while I can't give real numbers I'd say I was around 7. I felt like I was going to take a panic attack over almost nothing). Hemp oil helped and I took more than recommended to control it. However when I stopped taking hemp oil my anxiety went from a 2 to a 5. However my shoulder pain went from 0 to 5 when off of the oil. My nails grow while taking hemp oil and they get dry and break when I don't take it.

I *know* I absorb it (based solely on the amount I can move my shoulder without pain and my nails), at least when taken sublingual. So I'd advise your friend and anyone else looking at legal or medical marijuana to look at taking CBD oil under the tongue. That is if they don't want to smoke it. I think actually eating it won't work as well for us.

I know there is a difference between hemp oil and cbd oil however I wanted to give you an idea about how to get the befits of an oil based supplement as someone that has a DS.

We are forging new ground. :)

(deactivated member)
on 1/18/19 1:57 am, edited 1/17/19 5:57 pm

Actually medical cannabis (https://www.ncsm.nl/english/cbd-oil/cbdistillery) has done wonders for my anxiety. I only take it once a week but when I do it really lifts up all my stupid concerns and mellows me out for the rest of the week. Also I've noticed I'm extremely productive when im taking it.

joeystyles
on 2/10/21 10:45 am

My friend who had DS for several months used to smoke recreational marijuana and the effect was really strong. Edibles didn't really help tho.

FreyaB
on 2/11/21 1:06 am, edited 2/15/21 4:17 am

The effect of edibles depends on the dose a person takes. If your dose increases the effects would increase as well. Nothing complicated but marijuana really has strong effects even without increasing your dose. I know what I'm talking about because I've been eating weed edibles for 2 years already. For example, I've read a lot of scientific articles regarding the effects of weed edibles in the long-run and found out that it's mostly safe. By the way, I usually get most edibles at https://www.justcannabis.shop that is a very good shop with various tasty products. In my opinion it's way better than smoking.

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 360 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 134 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1050 views