9 month stall, need advice

Sdeynes
on 7/5/18 6:59 am
DS on 09/26/17

I am just past my 9 month post op anniversary. For the last 2 months I have hit a little bit of a stall. I will lose about 5 pounds right before my cycle starts, then it all just stands still.

Highest weight 319

Current weight (as of this am) 203

Modifications made to help my stall along;

1. Instead of eating when hungry, I set an alarm for every 3 hours. Otherwise I tend to forget to eat.
  2. Min of 40 oz of water added to protein drinks & my either diet green tea or unsweetened tea.
  3. Taking about 2 15 min walks on my breaks at work. I work 12 hour days, so that is about all the exercise I get right now.
  4. I did add a high carbohydrate day to see if that helped. // Ehh It didn't really.
  5. My protein intake is still lower than it should be, but I make sure now I get at least 80 grams. Unfortunately 30 of that is from a Premier Protein drink w/ my coffee.
  6. I was having some pretty bad constipation issues. On top of my probiotic, extra fiber gummies & stool softeners I take, I added more fat into my diet. (a teaspoon of unrefined coconut oil to my coffee and stay away from low fat anything) It has helped a little, but still having some minor issues.

I do not count calories, but on average I would take an educated guess that I still consume less than 1000 cal a day.

Any other suggestions out there that will help with my stall & maybe my constipation issues? Thanks everyone!

PeteA
on 7/5/18 1:17 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

My first thought is you really need to up your game on liquids. That will help your constipation issues.

Also more protein, you seem dismissive that 30gms comes from your premiere protein shake but if you aren't working on solid food you need to get that from somewhere and a second shake a day would help, either a premixed premiere or I like a double scoop of Optimum Nutrition 100% whey.

High carb days never helped me with stalls although always good for a change of pace.

Your at 203, How tall are you and what is your goal weight. Maybe you could list a sample of your daily meals. 12 hour days don't help with good nutrition but there are snacks you could use to eat more often.

I'm at 220 this morning and 5 years out.

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

Sdeynes
on 7/5/18 2:17 pm
DS on 09/26/17

Thank you for replying.

Don't mean to sound dismissive.. Just would rather the protein to come from food.

Liquids still are a struggle for me, which kind of surprises me. I get full really fast when I drink. It is an ongoing project to get back to my 64 oz of water a day & I agree, I'm sure it is a factor in my issues. So any suggestions on improving that too, I will take :-).

So, I start my day at 4:00 am. I use the Premier Protein in my coffee. I get to work about 6:15 am and I will have my first meal.. typically I can do a half of a Jimmy Dean Eggwich or half of Jimmy Dean Egg scramble in cup (no carbs one). That is about all I can handle. I set my alarm for 3 hours after I eat and then I will finish the rest of my breakfast. 3 hours later I will have some sort of protein (chicken/cheese/tuna packet) and set my alarm for 3 hours, do a small serving of fruit & nuts..etc till I am done for the day. If I am not hungry at all, I will re-set my alarm for about an hour and then eat.

At the end of my day, I still struggle with the carbs just like before the surgery. I try to suck on sugar free candy to help but I will have something full of sugar/carbs more often then not (I know, no-no, and I am breaking that habit) ... this is my schedule 5-6 days a week. I have considered stop the fruit once a day and going back to the Keto way of life, but I keep thinking of the fresh fruit and vitamins etc.. (fruit like cherries, strawberries, occasional citrus). Since the surgery I have not been a big fan of beef or turkey jerky but I do keep them around to snack on w/ nuts (pistachios/cashews) and I keep a small jar of Publix fresh ground peanut butter with me (no sugar).

I am 5 feet 3 inches. Dr set a goal of 128 however, I think my personal goal will be about 150. I don't think I ever weighed below 130.. even at birth lol.

Bad habits sneak back into life and we need other to point them out cuz we are blind to the comfort of said bad habits, so please be blunt. :-)

PeteA
on 7/6/18 7:59 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Maybe dismissive wasn't the right word. I think wanting to get all your protein in as food is the right goal but you know the phrase don't cut off your nose to spite your face? If you come up low at the end of the day a second shake wouldn't hurt.

It took me years before I started using Premier even once in a while because the thickness filled me up and still does to this day. They are convenient but I find while I can keep a whole carton down it is more comfortable for me to do half and then the rest in a half hour.

I did, and still do, powder mixes because when mixing with water it was much thinner and easier to deal with. Lots of people don't seem to have that problem but something to think about.

For more liquids I was wondering if you notice any difference between getting in liquid at different temperatures. For me it was easier to get in warm liquids, broth and tea, are my favorites than to do something cold. You might see if there is some difference for you that way. So my other thought is that at 9 months you aren't spacing your liquids enough. You can't drink like you did pre-op but usually you can do a couple of swallows every 15 to 20 minutes. Have you tried getting one of those measured 64 oz water bottles and keeping it with you at work so you have that constant reminder to drink?

It's good that you set alarms to eat. I think that is a phase where you end up not interested in eating and alarms are a good way to get stuff in. It worried me when I felt like that, I never had any empathy for the people that say eat to live not live to eat. Fine to say but very strange to actually live through.

I pretty much don't have much to say on fruits. I didn't really have much room the first year for fruits, I was always eating protein first and just had some fruit every couple of weeks because I couldn't make my protein goals if I added much else.

Sugary stuff. eventually it will become less important but I never really lost my taste completely although none of it is as satisfying anymore as I remember it. The best thing I can suggest is to keep trying protein bars as substitutes. I find quest bars a little too thick but I really like the protein crunch bars, chocolate and vanilla along with rarely the type that has some dark chocolate in it (chokolat I think they call it).

BioNutritional Research Group
Power Crunch - French Vanilla Wafer

They can be pretty sweet and while still having some sugars the do have the plus of adding to your protein totals without you noticing. :)

Look are there things you can do better. Sure. Maybe these solutions won't help but keep looking. It becomes like those business programs that stress constant improvement. Sometimes you stumble on something that helps you and add it to your arsenal.

Don't forget you have done very well, When you worry make sure you take time to celebrate too!!!

Pete

chevtow41
on 7/5/18 4:09 pm
DS on 11/11/14

I'd skip fruit until you get to goal.

I have 64oz fluids before lunch, you really should be at 100oz by now. Also your protein is too low. 30/60/90 rule - 30gr by 30 days 90gr by 90 days. You are way past that. Eat more meat and if necessary have another shake.

Exercise is nice but you lose weight in the kitchen not in the gym truthfully. The exercise is more for overall health than weight loss.

hollykim
on 7/5/18 7:05 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 5, 2018 at 1:59 PM Pacific Time, Sdeynes wrote:

I am just past my 9 month post op anniversary. For the last 2 months I have hit a little bit of a stall. I will lose about 5 pounds right before my cycle starts, then it all just stands still.

Highest weight 319

Current weight (as of this am) 203

Modifications made to help my stall along;

1. Instead of eating when hungry, I set an alarm for every 3 hours. Otherwise I tend to forget to eat.
  2. Min of 40 oz of water added to protein drinks & my either diet green tea or unsweetened tea.
  3. Taking about 2 15 min walks on my breaks at work. I work 12 hour days, so that is about all the exercise I get right now.
  4. I did add a high carbohydrate day to see if that helped. // Ehh It didn't really.
  5. My protein intake is still lower than it should be, but I make sure now I get at least 80 grams. Unfortunately 30 of that is from a Premier Protein drink w/ my coffee.
  6. I was having some pretty bad constipation issues. On top of my probiotic, extra fiber gummies & stool softeners I take, I added more fat into my diet. (a teaspoon of unrefined coconut oil to my coffee and stay away from low fat anything) It has helped a little, but still having some minor issues.

I do not count calories, but on average I would take an educated guess that I still consume less than 1000 cal a day.

Any other suggestions out there that will help with my stall & maybe my constipation issues? Thanks everyone!

1000 cals a day is maintenance for most of us. Many of us don't lose unless we eat between 600-800 cals a day.

the fruit is pure sugar and needs to go. As long as you feed your body pure sugar to use for energy, it will not break down your stored fat for energy and that is what causes weight loss, breaking down stored fat for energy.

the sugary carb treat at bed time needs to go too. It is not helping at all.

chevtow41
on 7/6/18 4:44 pm
DS on 11/11/14

If I ate 1000 calories a day I'd be in a world of hurt. Both hunger wise and likely protein wise too. Did you have a DS Hollykim? I bet I maintain on closer to 3000 (or more) calories. I've not heard of many DS'ers who eat 600-800 calories

hollykim
on 7/6/18 4:50 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 6, 2018 at 11:44 PM Pacific Time, chevtow41 wrote:

If I ate 1000 calories a day I'd be in a world of hurt. Both hunger wise and likely protein wise too. Did you have a DS Hollykim? I bet I maintain on closer to 3000 (or more) calories. I've not heard of many DS'ers who eat 600-800 calories

I do have a DS and I do eat about 900 cals a da. I won't lose unless I drop down to 600-800.

many who need WLS also have a disordered metabolism and can't eat a lot of calories and maintain even with a DS.

Be greatful that you can,I guess.

Janet P.
on 7/6/18 9:49 am

First, congrats on the 116 pound loss in 9 months. Now, let's see what else we can address.

We are almost exactly the same - statistically. I am 5'3" and my weight at surgery was 320 pounds. I understand completely.

You've gotten some good recommendations. You must up your water. We DSers can become easily dehydrated and the last thing you want is that. If you want the DS to be successful, you have to work it and that means a minimum of 64 ounces - but you should be aiming for 80 ounces.

If you are consuming less than 1000 calories a day, no wonder you're not losing. You're simply not taking in enough. You need to find "good" calories - higher fat and protein. I would stay away from fruit until you're closer to your goal. Fruit is a luxury you really can't afford during the losing stage.

As for the constipation issues, try a high quality fiber (ditch the gummies). Your DS anatomy probably isn't even processing it. I use a scoop of organic triple fiber in my morning beverage (the 32 ounces of water I drink to take my morning vitamins). Never had constipation issues with the DS.

I totally understand about getting protein from food. But at this stage (you're still in the losing stage) you need more protein and since you can't seem to eat enough, you then need to drink it. It doesn't have to be like that forever (I haven't touched a protein supplement in years). Remember the losing stage is temporary. Once you hit your goal (whatever number you choose - ignore what the doctor suggested, just go with what you feel is right for you) you'll be getting all your protein from food.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Sdeynes
on 7/7/18 7:44 am
DS on 09/26/17

Thank you everyone!

Yesterday I was able to get 60 oz of water (3-20oz bottles) down and an extra protein drink. I am actively working on increasing it, but still feel full. I still set my alarm to at least eat something small every 3-4 hours. I cut out the fruit too. This morning I was down a pound, so I was very happy with that.

I do need a good fiber recommendation. I went to the store yesterday and , not going to lie, got over- whelmed at the different options. Is there any one particular fiber that works best for DS'ers ?

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 108 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 657 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 233 views