Sleeve to Loop DS or DS scheduled..Curious about results after revision??

gigem23
on 7/24/18 1:06 pm

Hi there. I am scheduled for a revision on 8/20/18. I had the VSG in Mexico in November of 2009. I went from 220 to 126 in less than 6 months (I'm 5'6"). I maintained my weight for about 5 1/2 years. In the last 3 years I slowly started putting on weight. I am now back up to 190. I def can eat more than I used to be able to. I am just curious how any of you have done after a revision. I hear the weight def comes off slower. I am still trying to decide between the Loop DS & traditional DS. My surgeon will also do a partial sleeve during the procedure if mine has stretched out too much. Hope you all are doing well!!

PattyL
on 7/24/18 1:34 pm

The only OP with PROVEN results is the DS. Some of the loop people have been very happy and others have not. Take a chance and leave yourself open to yet another revision surgery.

larra
on 7/24/18 4:03 pm - bay area, CA

You are already facing one revision. To me, the only option that makes sense is the one with the best documented long term results, and that's the standard of care DS with 2 anastamoses. It has the best statistics not just for percentage excess weight loss, but also for maintenance of that weight loss which, as you are already learning the hard way, is crucial.

Results of loop DS/aka SADI/aka SIPS are decidedly mixed. Some people have been very satisfied with this experimental surgery, others have had very poor results.

Larra

hollykim
on 7/24/18 5:34 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 24, 2018 at 8:06 PM Pacific Time, gigem23 wrote:

Hi there. I am scheduled for a revision on 8/20/18. I had the VSG in Mexico in November of 2009. I went from 220 to 126 in less than 6 months (I'm 5'6"). I maintained my weight for about 5 1/2 years. In the last 3 years I slowly started putting on weight. I am now back up to 190. I def can eat more than I used to be able to. I am just curious how any of you have done after a revision. I hear the weight def comes off slower. I am still trying to decide between the Loop DS & traditional DS. My surgeon will also do a partial sleeve during the procedure if mine has stretched out too much. Hope you all are doing well!!

I was given the loop DS when I asked and paid for the traditional DS.

i ceveloped bile reflux,different from acid reflux from th3 loop and had to have that revised and pay full fee again.

i wouldn't recommend th3 loop DS to anyone.

(deactivated member)
on 7/25/18 12:58 pm
PeteA
on 7/27/18 11:00 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Loop wasn't readily available when I made my decision. Both are tools that have helped people.
The thing that would still drive me to the traditional DS is the very reasons that people use to
pick the loop.

Looking at my weight loss history I wanted the operation that would be most effective for keeping
the weight off for the longest period of time. While the Loop may require fewer vitamins you have
to remember why that is. There is less malabosrption than the traditional DS. For my money the fact
that I take more vitamins doesn't mean much. If I have to take vitamins every day the total amount
doesn't really make a difference for me.

I just had my 5 year check up, weighed in at 221 down an additional BMI point from last year and
healthy. Whichever tool you choose work to make the most out of it and make sure your surgeon
has a good track record and your confidence.

Good luck,

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

(deactivated member)
on 7/27/18 9:29 pm
PeteA
on 7/28/18 7:37 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Good information to have. I don't really look at the CC size as that big a factor except at the extremes.

It's really a different mechanism than the traditional DS so I'm more inclined to look at the actual vitamin intake as a sign of potential malabsorption than CC length.

It isn't the length but the fact than most Loop DS'rs I've seen have a lighter vitamin regimen that a traditional DS'r which in my mind says there is less malabsorption. While I suppose I do equate that to CC length at some level.

Also people say they hear from their surgeons which is kind of what you originally stated that on a continuum, for most people, the Docs feel there is less chance of deficiency issues with the loop DS. (Not sure that is really true but I've seen it posted often enough).

People all react differently, and frankly surgeries are never really cookie cutter. For me the traditional DS was a better choice and I would pick it again but I was a high BMI with a long history of yoyo dieting. Always ending up heavier than when I started. Now, I'm 5 years out with no sign that I'll hit any regain. Happy and healthy are what counts regardless of which WLS you have

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 274 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 748 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 250 views