3 weeks post op and I can't eat

MissMaggie26
on 9/30/18 4:38 pm
DS on 09/10/18

Hey friends.

I'm about three weeks post op and I'm supposed to be on soft/pureed food. I can barely eat at all.

The smells and tastes of everything make me gag and after I've got about two bites in, I feel sick and full. I'm still having a hard time getting 64 oz of water in per day. It tends to just come right back up.

Any advice would be appreciated. I'll be seeing my surgeon for a follow up on Tuesday.

Valerie G.
on 9/30/18 5:45 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

It sounds like dehydration to me. You need an IV of fluids to get yourself back on track, then a commitment to get that 64oz in every day if it takes you all day and all night. Nausea is caused by dehydration.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

hollykim
on 9/30/18 7:48 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On September 30, 2018 at 11:38 PM Pacific Time, MissMaggie26 wrote:

Hey friends.

I'm about three weeks post op and I'm supposed to be on soft/pureed food. I can barely eat at all.

The smells and tastes of everything make me gag and after I've got about two bites in, I feel sick and full. I'm still having a hard time getting 64 oz of water in per day. It tends to just come right back up.

Any advice would be appreciated. I'll be seeing my surgeon for a follow up on Tuesday.

you could also have a stricture or a partial

stricture. Might call your surgeon and tell them.

Dehydration can also cause nausea for sure. But a stricture can keep you from being able to get enough down,leading to more dehydration and more nausea.

Janet P.
on 10/1/18 6:02 am
On September 30, 2018 at 11:38 PM Pacific Time, MissMaggie26 wrote:

Hey friends.

I agree with the others that it could be dehyration. It's so easy to get dehydrated after surgery. Don't worry about the food but you may want to call your surgeon's office today instead of waiting for your appointment tomorrow.

Remember that you had MAJOR surgery and everyone recovers differently. Continue sipping. That's your absolute 100% priority.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

PattyL
on 10/1/18 11:01 am

Don't even worry about food till you get all the liquids in. That is more important than anything else. Ask for anti nausea meds.

meq815
on 10/7/18 4:25 pm - PA

Oh how I remember those days and the misery!

It took about 5 weeks for me to be able to stomach any solid soft food. And that was maybe 2 spoonfuls of mashed potatoes. I even took to sucking on a saltine.

Agreed, fluids are your priority right now. But your stomach is still healing. Concentrate on fluids.

After 5 years, I long for the days of food aversion!

It gets better. I promise.

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 362 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views