liquid diet before surgery

tonishappy
on 6/15/04 10:36 pm - Greensboro, NC
I was on a liquid diet 5 days before the surgey and 1 day before was on clear liquids. Then I was on liquid for about 1 1/2 weeks after the surgery. Did not eat food in the hospital at all, only water after the 2nd day. I am 8 weeks out and I can eat just about anything I want, including salad. However, breads and tortillia's are not very pleasing to my stomach. I can eat them, just not but a couple bites. Toni Bowen M&M/DS - 20 April 2004 - BMI = 54 285/249/135 -23 lbs - 20 May 2004
flowergirl810
on 6/16/04 2:26 am - Milwaukee, WI
Your program sounds a little more manageable. I'm glad you are doing so well. Denise
flowergirl810
on 6/16/04 2:21 am - Milwaukee, WI
I have to do clear liquids 2 days before surgery. The only trade off I have is....NO BOWEL PREP!! yeah! Lisa, you're funny! Some times I like the bad advice. I don't know if I can make it. I'll try really hard, but if something happens to accidentally fall in to my mouth..... Denise
artistmama
on 6/16/04 1:35 am - Boise, ID
Hi Denise. When I first read this, I agreed with the others--pooh pooh on the 2 week liquid diet, but after checking your profile and seeiing that your bmi is 70.6, I can understand why the nutritionist and/or surgeon wants you to do this. Your bmi is very high, which puts you at higher risk than most bariatric patients. Any weight loss before surgery will definitely be beneficial to you and your surgeon, but I don't know if I could do it. Two weeks is a very long time with a pre-op tummy. The hunger pangs will be intense. If you can do it, Sweetie, I think it would be best. Just think of it as temporary. You can do anything for 2 weeks. It's only 2 weeks out of your life. And when this is all over, you'll be on the road to a slim and healthy body. God bless you as you go through these last few weeks. I'll be thinking of you. Brenda
flowergirl810
on 6/16/04 2:35 am - Milwaukee, WI
Hi Brenda, I know that any weight loss now will help. It's 3 weeks not 2. I guess it just seems extra long. I'm going to try very hard. I can do it!! (being positive) I did Optifast years ago and didn't east for 3 whole months. I guess the extra week shocked me. I wasn't prepared for it. Then 2 weeks post-op of liquids. I can eat soft foods in 5 weeks. It just seems like a long time. You are right, in the end it will be all worth it. thank you, Denise
Melissa Mermaid
on 6/16/04 4:18 am - Westbury, NY
It doesn't sound very drastic, D ... But ultimately you should have the last laugh. Good luck and God bless ... Lots of prayers and huge {{{HUGS}}}
flowergirl810
on 6/17/04 5:08 am - Milwaukee, WI
I will have the last laugh....I'll be a better, healthier person for it. Thanks for the encouragement. I now send you all the prayers and {{{hugs}}} back to you. I know how much they help. Hope you are having a good day!
Ola W.
on 6/16/04 4:51 am - Elkland, PA
Denise, My sympathies are with you.... Been there done that. Only I have had to do that to lose weight. Just think that this is what your doctor believes in, and each day you stay with this is one less day you have to continue with it. You are so lucky to be so close to your surgery, and have a good attitude to boot. Keep on track and success will be yours! Love, Ola
flowergirl810
on 6/17/04 5:37 am - Milwaukee, WI
Thanks Ola, I'm going to stay the course and do this! You are right...I am blessed to be so close, when so many others still have to fight. I try to keep a good attitude. It helps to have the support of everyone here. Denise
Rosalind G.
on 6/16/04 12:26 pm - La Cañada Flintridge, CA
Hi again, Denise, I just read your profile and am so glad that you didn't have to go through a long and difficult insurance nightmare. You can do this liquid diet thing. You really can. You've already suffered so long. It may not be the easiest challenge you've ever faced, but, oh, think how wonderful it will be! In just a very few days you'll wake up and march--maybe hobble depending on the weather--into that hospital, go to sleep, and wake up again ON THE OTHER SIDE and in a few more days, you'll for joy! Warmly, Roz
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 102 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 652 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 233 views