??? Vitalady Nature's Science Calcium Citrate 750 ???

(deactivated member)
on 5/19/08 6:03 am, edited 5/19/08 7:31 am - San Jose, CA
I may be wrong, but I have serious concerns about the claims of there being 750 mg of calcium in this product.  Michelle?? I was very concerned to see that there were several people saying they were taking ONE of the Nature's Science calcium citrate pills from Vitalady and saying that it had 750 mg of calcium, which sounds pretty hard to believe, knowing what I do about the density of calcium in the citrate form.  So I went to the vitalady.com site and found this:

Serving size: 1 capsule

Amount per Serving % Daily Value
Calcium Citrate 750  mg 75%
OK, I find this confusing.  It says there is 750 mg of calcium citrate -- NOT 750 mg of calcium. Calcium citrate is 21% calcium.  So, 750 mg of calcium citrate contains only about 150 mg of calcium. Calcium citrate is a VERY bulky form of calcium  I find it VERY hard to believe that a loosely packed capsule could POSSIBLY have 750 mg of calcium as a citrate: that would require that the capsule contain 3750 mg of the powdered calcium citrate (IF it was pure calcium citrate, which I doubt, because calcium citrate alone would likely be unstable and hygoroscopic -- meaning, it most likely would have fillers and stabilizers associated with it to absorb water).  Do you know how big a volume nearly 4 g of powder is?  A teaspoon of SUGAR (which is fairly solid crystals) weighs 4.2 g.  Do you think there is an entire TEASPOON of powder in those capsules? It takes TWO large tablets of calcium citrate (including the fillers and stabilizers to hold it together and to absorb water) to provide 500 g of calcium.  Tablets are PRESSED TOGETHER tightly, excuding voids of air.  Capsules are filled with loose powder.  These claims don't make sense to me. I do note that the label also says that the capsules contain 75% of the RDA for calcium; the RDA is 1000 mg.  But the plain common sense and discrepancy with the rest of the label has me VERY concerned that the label IS WRONG and the DOSAGE IS WRONG and that people may be taking only one fifth of the calcium they think they are taking. Note that there is a disclaimer (from Vitalady's website) on the bottle label, which indicates that this issue may have been brought to her attention in the past.
As of 12/06 information taken from the manufacturer's product label currently in stock. Substitute product may be sent (without notice), but will have similar values to those listed below. **
**It is the intention of Vitalady, Inc. to keep information current and correct directly from the manufacturer’s product label. We will not be responsible for typographical mistakes by us or manufacturing changes made at the point of production. It is recommended you read the product label on the product you receive prior to opening and using it. The manufacturer’s product label takes precedence over the information listed above.We would appreciate your assistance if you notice errors or changes in the label information on our web site.  I don't know what is going on, but it appears that at least 18 months ago, some issue was raised about the actual content of the mg of calcium in this product, which has never been resolved.  I cannot locate a manufacturer's website for Nature's Science, so I don't know how to resolve this.  But if it were ME, I would not trust this stuff until this matter is clarified, and I would be taking a product such as Citrical or Costco's calcium citrate. The numbers just DON'T make sense to me. Michelle, if you can clarify that this product indeed contains 750 mg of ELEMENTAL CALCIUM per capsule, I will make a very loud public apology and clarification.  Hell, I'll consider buying the stuff from you myself -- I gag on the 4 horse pills I take per day to get in around 1000 mg of elemental calcium.  But I am VERY concerned about this.
jen319_rn
on 5/19/08 7:03 am - La Plata, MD
Lord, now i am confused. I take 8 tabs (2 tabs are a serving of 630mgs) of calcium citrate per day for a total of 2520mgs per day. I know that in general there is really only half of that 630mg dose that is absorbed which is why I take 8 just to get 1260mgs per day. Do I not even get that now????  matbe I am just goofing myslef up with this but I was taking Upcal D and that too is citrate and there is a note on the box that says out of the 500mg serving you only get 250mg of actaul calcium. I just want to take the right stuff since I am only 3.5 months out. Believe me I am learning more about these vits and how they are with our bodies that my nutrition class could have ever taught me. Also, what brand do you take that at the end of the day 4 tabs give you 1000mgs of actual calcium as I would gladly not take as may huge pills per day. Thanks so much for the info. Jennifer

Jennifer

(deactivated member)
on 5/19/08 7:13 am - San Jose, CA
I don't know why they would say only 50% would be absorbed -- can you copy the product literature word-for-word into a post so I can look at it?  All forms of calcium, including that found in our food, are absorbed differently, and it depends on what you are eating with it, etc. I take one tablet each of Costco Calcium Citrate (with VitD, Mg, Mn, Zn, B6) and Citrical, twice a day.  They are horse pills.  I take one each because my B6 was WAY too high last year, and although I like the mix of extras in the Costco, I didn't like being so high in B6.  Citrical may have D in it (I'm not home right now), but none of the other extras. I eat a lot of calcium-containing foods (cheese, meat, milk, etc.).  I supplement with 1000 mg of calcium citrate, in a form containing VitD, Mg and Mn, which are supposed to help with calcium absorption.  I have NO CLUE how much I absorb -- I go entirely on my PTH levels, which I track yearly, including trends, and my DEXA scan results, measured every other year.  So far, so good.  If things change, I would adjust how much I am taking.
Guate Wife
on 5/19/08 7:07 am - Grand Rapids, MI
Info from another product label, to add to the discussion -- UpCal D lists a 2g scoop as containing 500mg of Calcium from Citrate (50% value) and 250IU of D3 (60% value).  The only other ingredient listed beyond Calcium citrate and D3 is Dextrose.

~ I am the proud wife of a Guatemalan, but most people call me Kimberley
Highest Known Weight  =  370#  /  59.7 bmi  @  5'6"

Current Weight  =  168#  /  26.4 bmi  :  fluctuates 5# either way  @  5'7"  /  more than 90% EWL
Normal BMI (24.9)  =  159#:  would have to compromise my muscle mass to get here without plastics, so this is not a goal.

I   my DS.    Don't go into WLS without knowing ALL of your options:  DSFacts.com

(deactivated member)
on 5/19/08 7:26 am - San Jose, CA
And that also confuses me -- I can't tell if it means what it is SUPPOSED to mean: Of the 2 g in the scoop: In order to supply 500 g of elemental calcium, there would have to be a minimum of 2500 mg or 2.5 g of calcium citrate (nevermind the dextrose and D3), because calcium citrate is about 20% elemental calcium (500 mg x 5 = 2500 mg).  Something isn't right -- even without the extras, you need more calcium citrate by weight than is in the scoop! http://www.aafp.org/afp/20001015/tips/1.html
dakotahmama
on 5/19/08 7:17 am
Thanks for posting this question/concern.  This the calcium citrate I've been taking since about 3 months out.  I also take the calcium with magnesium that Michelle carries.  I switched to this brand because I was tired of having a hard time taking the giant Caltrate pills.  I still have a whole unopened bottle of them, so if the ones I'm taking now are inferior I will switch back...even if it means I have to choke down the "horse pills."  Hopefully, there will be clarification, because now I'm wondering...

HW: 564/SW:515.5/CW:342.2/GW:164/Height: 5' feet
Post-op loss=173.3 lbs ~ Pre-op loss=48.5 lbs ~ Lab Rat Chart

joteddie
on 5/19/08 7:41 am, edited 5/19/08 7:42 am - Cumberland, MD
Diane, thank you for posting this. I recently switched to Upcal D and would not like to make a mistake in my calcium intake as I am fighting some other low levels. I will be glad when Michele clarifies this. I take the prepackaged small packs. I would not mind doubling how many I take a day but I want to know I am taking the correct dose. I am lousy at swallowing pills. Jo Okay I edited my post to add this. I am looking at the supplement facts and here is what it says: Upcal D-Powdered Calcium & Vitamin D-Ingredients: Calcium Citrate, Vitamin D3 and Dextrose serving size 1 packet (2.0g) Amount per serving      %daily Value*    Calcium from Citrate 500 mg    50%    Vitamin D3               250IU     60% *Percent daily values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet

Joteddie1.jpg Century Club Card image by joteddie

jen319_rn
on 5/19/08 8:02 am, edited 5/19/08 8:04 am - La Plata, MD
I went to get the box of Upcal D. On the side of the box it says this.... Are all calcium supplements created equally? No they are not. The absorption rates between Upcal D calcium citrate (at 50%) and calcium carbonate (at 10%) differ drastically.  As a result, you get 5 times more calcium absorption with the calcium citrate found in Upcal D That is exactly what the box says. I interpret this that the dose we get means that we get 50% of the actaul dose as actual citrate. So to me in order to get 1000mgs I must take 4 packets or 2000 of the Upcal D. I do take the horse pills so as I stated I take 8 tabs or  2520mgs just to get half. Ughhhhhhhhhhh too much!!!!!

Jennifer

(deactivated member)
on 5/19/08 9:26 am, edited 5/20/08 12:49 am - San Jose, CA
It is impossible for me to say.  I assume the RDAs are determined based on INTAKE, not absorption.  I would NOT take twice as much as the RDA, unless your doctor tells you to because your PTH is high, no matter whether you are taking it in the form of calcium carbonate, calcium citrate, or by food. Keep in mind that NORMAL people are suggested to take 1000 mg of calcium per day; assuming they NORMALLY only absorb 10% or 100 mg, that must be enough.  We are advised to take calcium citrate because we have reduced stomach acid, which would FURTHER lower our ability to absorb the poorly dissociating (which is what the acid does) and absorbed calcium carbonate. Edited because I wrote "because your PTH is low" instead of high -- DOH!!
kindredspirit fl
on 5/19/08 9:17 am - islander, FL
i have a fairly new bottle and it is stating...1000mg calcium citrate per 2 caps.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 286 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 758 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 253 views