Recent Posts

califsleevin
on 3/14/24 5:51 pm - CA
Topic: RE: calcium/protein

Take a look through the various articles and blog posts from Dr. Keshishian at https://www.dssurgery.com/articles/ . There is likely something in there covering your concerns, as it is something that would come up from time to time in our support groups (before covid halted them.)

It is likely something that you need to see an endocrinologist about to see what's happening - thyroid possibly? If you are just now seeing low levels in your labs, it may be something that has been going on for a while as the body works to keep serum Ca levels constant - by using your bones as a reservoir - so certainly something to get on top of. Have you had bone density scans lately? That's something that should probably be routine for anyone with a malabsorbing WLS.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

AA
on 3/11/24 11:53 am, edited 3/11/24 4:59 am - New York, NY
hollykim
on 3/3/24 7:45 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On March 3, 2024 at 3:09 PM Pacific Time, PTcoki wrote:

Takin correct type. Is it normal 20 years after DS to have worse problem with absorption? Can't think of any dietary or medical changes to all of a sudden have trouble maintaining my low but acceptable levels of calcium and protein.

the body tries to adapt to the malabsorption caused by the DS over time do I wouldn't think the absorption would get worse over 30 years, but I could be wrong.
good luck with your search for answers.

PTcoki
on 3/3/24 7:09 am

Takin correct type. Is it normal 20 years after DS to have worse problem with absorption? Can't think of any dietary or medical changes to all of a sudden have trouble maintaining my low but acceptable levels of calcium and protein.

hollykim
on 3/2/24 9:13 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On March 2, 2024 at 3:54 AM Pacific Time, PTcoki wrote:

No, sorry. I take liquid calcium and wear patches

I read that but there are several different kinds of calcium. Some are better absorbed than others. Look on the packages at the labels to what kind of calcium is in them.

PTcoki
on 3/1/24 7:54 pm

No, sorry. I take liquid calcium and wear patches

hollykim
on 3/1/24 8:42 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On March 1, 2024 at 3:19 PM Pacific Time, PTcoki wrote:

I had DS in 2002. Have faithfully taken supplements. Maintained levels until this year. Take 3600 liquid calcium over day plus wear 3600 patches at night but is still to low. Don't know what chnged. Anyone able to help me?

what kind of calcium is in the liquid and patches?

PTcoki
on 3/1/24 7:19 am
Topic: calcium/protein

I had DS in 2002. Have faithfully taken supplements. Maintained levels until this year. Take 3600 liquid calcium over day plus wear 3600 patches at night but is still to low. Don't know what chnged. Anyone able to help me?

lookingup2
on 2/29/24 6:01 am - Sharpsburg, GA
Topic: RE: High PTH low/normal calcium very low Vit D help

I had DS in 2008. I weighed 340. I have maintained about 155 since then. I have osteoporosis as the result of low calcium and vitamin D. I take 50,000 in of Vitamin D daily which is very high. I had two stress fractures last year. My endocrinologist manages my levels. I cannot overemphasize the importance of vitamin D and calcium and protein. Osteoporosis is serious business. Get a good doctor to manage all of your blood levels.

ladygodiva1228
on 2/27/24 4:37 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
Topic: RE: Pending Disaster Re: Fish Antibiotics

While I don't know about the fish antibiotics, I can tell you that June, 11th of last year was when the FDA told all people who own livestock that they will no longer be able to go to the local farm store to get any antibiotics they will all have to have a prescription from a vet.

Do you know how hard it is to find a livestock vet that will just write a prescription? Not easy especially if there are not any in the area. I stocked up on them beforehand because the closest livestock vet is 2 hours away and their farm call alone is $150 never mind anything else they do.

Don't we just have the best government in the world.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 272 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 102 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1033 views