Recent Posts

jmm1234
on 10/17/18 6:04 pm
DS on 11/01/14
Topic: RE: Lunches at work?

I always start the day by taking a banana and strawberry chobanni yogurt on the way out the door. I often bring a packet of oatmeal or rolled oats to add ho****er and microwave later. It guarantees a healthy start and I like the taste.

TheWombat
on 10/17/18 3:37 pm
VSG on 06/11/18

We're fortunate that we have a canteen where I work, so I don't pack lunch. There's a salad bar that almost always includes a lentil dish, and there's usually at least one bean soup on offer, so there are good options for post-WLS vegans. I get a chuckle about how much less I'm spending these days. My lunches used to be ?4 or ?5. Now the cashiers don't bother to weigh my teeny tiny salad plate, they just charge me about ?3 for the salad and a half-bowl of soup.

Valerie G.
on 10/17/18 1:43 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA
Topic: RE: Any dropoff in your malabsorption

SADI doesn't have a lot of data, I'm afraid. You're a walking, talking experimental state that should be watched and recorded with your experiences.

I'm 13 years post-DS and still malabsorb plenty. I've regained about 14% of what I lost and am not complaining one bit, because I maintain effortlessly now.

Valerie
11 years post op DS 
There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..next to the mashed potatoes

Valerie G.
on 10/17/18 1:41 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA
Topic: RE: Protein Help

I kicked protein drinks to the curb, mostly with egg custard and ricotta cheese in my fridge at all times. Ricotta packs 7g of protein in each 1/4 cup and goes down nice and easy - even early out.

Top it with some tomatoes and cheese for gooey lasagna guts

Mix with SF pudding mix and some HWC and beat to perfect pudding consistency

Mix with a little sweetener, vanilla and pistachios (or choc chips) for a cannoli taste

Beat ricotta, egg, vanilla and bake for Ricotta pie.

The egg custard was 5 eggs, 2 cups of milk and 1/2 cup sweetener.

Valerie
11 years post op DS 
There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..next to the mashed potatoes

Valerie G.
on 10/17/18 1:38 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA
Topic: RE: Vitamin issues . . . Help!

Definitely try pills instead. I was taking 12 capsules the day I got home from the hospital, nice and slow, but I got them down just fine.

Valerie
11 years post op DS 

Valerie G.
on 10/17/18 1:37 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA
Topic: RE: DS and Diabetes- 10+ years out

Last stats I saw many years ago had the DS as a 98% "cure" rate for type 2 -- meaning it never comes back for 98% of the patients that get it.

Valerie
11 years post op DS 

Valerie G.
on 10/17/18 1:33 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA
Topic: RE: New DS: Eating Plan - moving from low fat to high fat/protein

Sadly, your doc put you on the wrong path from the very start. It only took me two weeks to figure that out, 13 years ago. The nutritionist with my doc said low fat too - or to "try it". After my third round of milk of magnesia from constipation (because of too little fat) I decided to go full fat and never turned back.

Valerie
11 years post op DS 

Valerie G.
on 10/17/18 1:29 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

When I worked in an office environment (work remotely now), I ate out, mostly. I loved the power Mediterranean chicken salad from Wendys and Moe's for a good protein punch lunch.

Valerie
11 years post op DS 

Valerie G.
on 10/17/18 1:26 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

I'm like you - constantly snacking -- lots and lots of cheese.

Valerie
11 years post op DS 

kairosgrammy
on 10/17/18 11:14 am
RNY on 10/17/17
Topic: RE: Any dropoff in your malabsorption
On October 8, 2018 at 5:12 AM Pacific Time, jmm1234 wrote:

I have been reading posts about people gaining weight a number of years after their WLS, and I'm wondering what people have experienced in the degradation of the malabsorption ability. I recently read a post where an RNYer noted about 18 months to 2 months out, the malabsorption stopped working.

My surgeon told me he expected a drop-off at some point for DS patients but offered no specifics. So far I'm 4 years out heading into year 5 on a SADi DS and seem to be in a very strong malabsorption mode still, but I would like to know what people have experienced over the long haul for any WLS they have had (RNY, Any version of DS, etc).

I have found similar information so I'm sure that malabsorption shouldn't be counted on in the long term. It will always be about what we eat. I also knows that they don't advise stopping your vitamins so that is kind of contradictory.

Most Active
Recent Topics