Recent Posts

Valerie G.
on 11/24/17 10:18 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
Topic: RE: 3 weeks post surgery

Forget fat-free and low-fat substitutes for the real thing. You are malabsorbing 80% of the fat you eat, so you need it. Also, it is okay to take Immodium. I did a few times the first few weeks.

Valerie
11 years post op DS 
There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..next to the mashed potatoes

PattyL
on 11/23/17 7:18 pm

Forget fat free. Forget fat free everything.

Start taking your calcium, that often stops the poops. And Imodium is your friend.

pomluvr
on 11/23/17 5:47 pm
DS on 11/08/17

I've been trying to drink my Premiere Protein, I've had a little tuna, and some fat free cottage cheese. That's it. My dr recommended I have some Metamucil to get fiber in my diet, which will help. Thank you.

pomluvr
on 11/23/17 5:44 pm
DS on 11/08/17

Thanks Scott. I called my dr and said the same thing. ?

hollykim
on 11/23/17 4:53 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On November 23, 2017 at 6:11 PM Pacific Time, pomluvr wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I'm now into my puree phase and also feeling depressed, thinking "what have I done?!" I've been fine with following the guidelines, but its the constant trips to the bathroom every 15min. Will my life ever be "regular" again? I ended up going this route due to a failed hernia repair and in order for me to get the repair fixed, I needed to lose weight. I've always been overweight, but never sought surgery as my first choice. But this is the route I needed to take. In the months leading up to the surgery, I was looking forward to this new life, new body, improved health. Now that the surgery has taken place, I'm still okay with it. Its just the constant trips to the bathroom, I feel like I'm tied down. Will this get better? Will it always be like this? I am so sad right now and I know this isn't helping my recovery, or state of mind. Please, someone tell me this will pass.

what are you eating? Carbs will cause lots of liquids stools as will artificial sweeteners ending in ol like xylitol

Beam me up Scottie
on 11/23/17 3:23 pm
DS on 02/17/06 with
You'll get back to "normal" once you back on solid foods. Ask your doctor if you can use a fiber drink supplement. It will firm things up.

Scott
pomluvr
on 11/23/17 10:11 am
DS on 11/08/17
Topic: 3 weeks post surgery

Hi Everyone,

I'm now into my puree phase and also feeling depressed, thinking "what have I done?!" I've been fine with following the guidelines, but its the constant trips to the bathroom every 15min. Will my life ever be "regular" again? I ended up going this route due to a failed hernia repair and in order for me to get the repair fixed, I needed to lose weight. I've always been overweight, but never sought surgery as my first choice. But this is the route I needed to take. In the months leading up to the surgery, I was looking forward to this new life, new body, improved health. Now that the surgery has taken place, I'm still okay with it. Its just the constant trips to the bathroom, I feel like I'm tied down. Will this get better? Will it always be like this? I am so sad right now and I know this isn't helping my recovery, or state of mind. Please, someone tell me this will pass.

Valerie G.
on 11/23/17 4:09 am, edited 11/22/17 9:50 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA
Topic: RE: Thanksgiving

I'm glad you're enjoying meats already! I was three weeks out for my first post-op Thanksgiving, so I'm happy to share my strategy, which continues today 12 years later. When the turkey plate comes around, go for the dark meat because it's moister, and then add some gravy to make it easier to eat. Focus on that as your key item of the meal, but if you feel like it, enjoy a bite or two of whatever else appeals to you. If you focused well on that protein, you won't have the capacity to get yourself into trouble with indulging.

This is my strategy for any good meal. I get my protein, enjoy the treats never feeling deprived, but not having room to overindulge. To me, it's perfect.

Valerie
11 years post op DS 
There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..next to the mashed potatoes

Beam me up Scottie
on 11/22/17 5:18 pm
DS on 02/17/06 with
Topic: RE: I Don't Believe the Simple Carbs Theory
I think if it's 100 percent or 80 percent it doesn't matter.

The bottom line is that simple carbs (eaten in abundance) are about the only thing that can cause a DSer to gain weight.

Simple rule of thumb....(for most DSers).....avoid too many simple carbs.

For 11 years I have avoided drinking any sugary drinks for this reason....rarely do I have juice or drink alcohol. I do eat cookies, and cake, and candy...but then again, I'm a guy...and we win the DS lottery most of the time.

Scott
Donna L.
on 11/22/17 8:39 am, edited 11/22/17 12:40 am - Chicago, IL
VSG on 06/22/15
Topic: RE: I Don't Believe the Simple Carbs Theory

Well, a nutritionist's job is not necessarily to explain science, but to inform you of how to eat based on the nutritional guidelines set out by agencies in the country where you live. This is problematic for a few reasons, as well, since these agencies are evidence-based in theory, however they are also heavily controlled by lobbying, particularly here in the US. Research Ancel Keys if you're curious about the history of why modern nutrition is the way it is.

I'm a counselor, and my primary job isn't necessarily education. It's to treat pathology. I am...weird...in that I think education can be very helpful for recovery from mental illness and trauma, actually. That's not necessarily conventional though. Look at doctors or surgeons, too.

This is because the medical model is set up for treatment and not education, though that's changing somewhat.

The main reason I know about biochemistry is because I was a biochem major before I left pre-med for psychology. However, there are a ton of free and evidence-based resources online to learn all this if you are interested these days :) Wikipedia is a great start, actually. Start by seeing what sources they cite and read those instead of the articles. You will learn a lot even just doing that.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Most Active
More questions
Fire_Ice · 8 replies · 184 views
3 weeks post surgery
pomluvr · 6 replies · 56 views
Finding my groove post surgery
vixen01 · 2 replies · 134 views
Constipation issue
Fire_Ice · 2 replies · 106 views
Thanksgiving
mlieckfelt · 2 replies · 99 views
Recent Topics