Recent Posts

larra
on 1/31/19 2:43 pm - bay area, CA
Topic: RE: VSG to DS

Revising from gastric bypass to DS is a very complex operation. It requires taking apart your old gastric bypass, restoring the normal anatomy, and then doing the DS. Whether with one anastamosis or 2, this is a lot of surgery and you are right to be concerned about complications as the rate of complications is significant. That's why it's so important to have a surgeon experienced not just with bariatric surgery, but specifically with the DS and with doing this specific revision.

I would strongly recommend that you consult with one of the DS surgeons with this background of experience. Given your location, the best choices would be Dr. John Rabkin in San Francisco, Dr. Ara Keshishian in Pasadena (near Los Angeles) or Dr. Simper in Utah. There is no one in your state that I would trust with this specific revision.

Larra

Janet P.
on 1/31/19 10:17 am
Topic: RE: Hypoglycemia

Sorry she's experiencing this but I have a few questions.

What type of revision did she have? What do her doctors say (assuming she's seen a doctor about this)? Does she get her sugar checked regularly? Is her sugar normally low? That could be the issue.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Dduran
on 1/31/19 9:46 am
DS on 04/25/19

I think it is modified. My surgeon is in Phx. He has been doing bariatric surgery is for a very long time. I'm just nervous of complications.

MarinaGirl
on 1/31/19 8:52 am
On January 30, 2019 at 2:45 AM Pacific Time, Dduran wrote:

Had Roux en y in 1998. Wanted a revision and physician suggested DS. Doesn't want to just do a revision of the Roux en y. Has anyone had this type of surgery

Who is your revision surgeon? Very few bariatric surgeons are skilled enough to do a revision from RNY to the standard of care DS (2 anastomoses) as it is a very complex operation. Or is your surgeon going to revise you to a modified DS with single anastomosis (SIPS/SADI)?

crispapple
on 1/30/19 4:53 pm
Topic: Hypoglycemia

I am on a fact finding mission for my wife. She had a duodenal switch quite some time ago now, and about a year back had a revision. She is suffering from - what I think is` called - reactive hypoglycemia. She is saying it used to be triggered from sugar, but now she seems to get low blood sugar no matter what she eats. Does anybody know what might be causing this condition, and if there is any way to control it?

She has been close to passing out quite a few times. Very worrying.

Thank you,

Steve

DonRobbie
on 1/30/19 1:48 pm
DS on 12/18/18
Topic: RE: Throwing Up constantly.

Bone broth might be a more tolerable way to get Protein in. Unjury Chicken soup could be another route to try. You may need to back down to liquids only for another week or two. I know that sucks (I was VERY ready to move on from liquids only) but it's better than getting dehydrated.

Eliza970
on 1/30/19 6:50 am
Topic: RE: New supplement?

I am 13 years out and have osteopenia, but menopause and age set me up for that, as well as DS. Prolia was recommended but my insurance doesn't cover it. Let me know how well Prolia works. Hope it helps.

Janet P.
on 1/30/19 6:42 am
Topic: RE: New supplement?

Nope, haven't heard of it. Softgels won't work. I take K1 & K2 but unfortunately I have full blown osteoporosis (I'm almost 16 years post-op DS). I did two Reclast infusions several years ago that unfortunately didn't work (numbers didn't go up, but they didn't go down). Just met with my internist yesterday and we're going to try Prolia.

Good luck.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

PeteA
on 1/30/19 5:45 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13
Topic: RE: Eleven Years - Confused

One of the reasons I take the thyroid in the middle of the night ( Actually around 3 AM ).

Dduran
on 1/29/19 6:45 pm
DS on 04/25/19

Had Roux en y in 1998. Wanted a revision and physician suggested DS. Doesn't want to just do a revision of the Roux en y. Has anyone had this type of surgery

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 121 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 663 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 234 views