Recent Posts

hollykim
on 3/1/24 8:42 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
Topic: RE: calcium/protein
On March 1, 2024 at 3:19 PM Pacific Time, PTcoki wrote:

I had DS in 2002. Have faithfully taken supplements. Maintained levels until this year. Take 3600 liquid calcium over day plus wear 3600 patches at night but is still to low. Don't know what chnged. Anyone able to help me?

what kind of calcium is in the liquid and patches?

PTcoki
on 3/1/24 7:19 am
Topic: calcium/protein

I had DS in 2002. Have faithfully taken supplements. Maintained levels until this year. Take 3600 liquid calcium over day plus wear 3600 patches at night but is still to low. Don't know what chnged. Anyone able to help me?

lookingup2
on 2/29/24 6:01 am - Sharpsburg, GA
Topic: RE: High PTH low/normal calcium very low Vit D help

I had DS in 2008. I weighed 340. I have maintained about 155 since then. I have osteoporosis as the result of low calcium and vitamin D. I take 50,000 in of Vitamin D daily which is very high. I had two stress fractures last year. My endocrinologist manages my levels. I cannot overemphasize the importance of vitamin D and calcium and protein. Osteoporosis is serious business. Get a good doctor to manage all of your blood levels.

ladygodiva1228
on 2/27/24 4:37 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
Topic: RE: Pending Disaster Re: Fish Antibiotics

While I don't know about the fish antibiotics, I can tell you that June, 11th of last year was when the FDA told all people who own livestock that they will no longer be able to go to the local farm store to get any antibiotics they will all have to have a prescription from a vet.

Do you know how hard it is to find a livestock vet that will just write a prescription? Not easy especially if there are not any in the area. I stocked up on them beforehand because the closest livestock vet is 2 hours away and their farm call alone is $150 never mind anything else they do.

Don't we just have the best government in the world.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Batwingsman
on 2/26/24 4:14 pm, edited 2/26/24 4:17 pm - Garland, TX
Topic: Pending Disaster Re: Fish Antibiotics

As many of us are aware, it is common for us post-ops to order Flagyl (Metronidazole) from reliable online suppliers of fish antibiotics to treat our occasional bacterial c. difficile ("c. diff.") intestinal infections b/c it is cheap(er) (well, used to be ) than from "people" pharmacies. More importantly, no prescription is required . I myself have always ordered from a major particular supplier of fish and bird antibiotics located in Utah.

Very unfortunately, we customers of the supplier in Utah recently received a group email from the company informing us that, until further notice, their company will not be able to fill any orders for any fish antibiotics. After further inquiry, turns out that our F.D.A. has sent warnings letters out to the manufacturers of fish antibiotics ordering them to cease and desist in doing so. Although I have not been able to ascertain the precise reason for the letters (nor seen a copy of the actual letter) I have a hunch the motivation behind the F.D.A.'s action is that such "veterinary" antibiotics are, for the most part, being ordered and used by persons for "human consumption" rather than for fish (or birds, etc.), in contravention of the instructions on the bottles of such products. If so, then sounds like that route is now foreclosed to those of us who are in need of Flagyl. This basically means that whenever we need the med in the future we will need to present to our doctors to get a script for same, assuming we can convince them why we need it. A DS surgeon would understand the need, but I'm not sure a non-WLS doc would.

Anyway, has anyone else heard about this matter, or can shed some more light on what is going on here?

Frank talk about the DS / "All I ever wanted to be was thin, like that Rolling Stones dude ... "

HW/461 LW/251 GW/189 CW/274 (yep, a DS semi-failure - it happens :-( )

Fire_Ice
on 2/23/24 8:31 am
DS on 10/25/17
Topic: RE: Need help for my mom

Adding on - she told me she takes the Fusion brand Multivitamin every day (designed for bariatric patients) and a calcium/Vitamin D that is 1000iu twice a day. Looking at the label for the multivitamin, it seems low to me.

Fire_Ice
on 2/23/24 7:57 am
DS on 10/25/17
Topic: Need help for my mom

I already posted this over in one of the gastric bypass forums, but you all tend to have such good advice that I thought I would post here too.

My mom had gastric bypass a few months ago. Her doctor wanted her to have it because she was Type 2 diabetic and in danger of a lot of other health issues that would be solved by losing weight. She is 69 years old. Things were going well at first - she felt well, she was able to eat as needed, and was losing the weight. She is about 5'5" and I'm not sure about her current weight, but she's lost quite a bit and can now fit into like size large in women's (she was at a 2XL or 3XL before).

But recently she has become very weak and has fallen several times (which is dangerous at her age). She went in to the doctor and they were initially convinced based on scans and blood work that she she had fatty liver that had advanced to cirrhosis, and they said it was Stage 3 cirrhosis (and that her only hope for survival would be a liver transplant). The doctor also told her that she was severely malnourished, comparing her to starving kids in other countries. He said that was the cause of her weakness, along with the liver issues.

A biopsy was done on her liver and she's Stage 1 of fatty liver, which means she can turn it around with diet and exercise, and we're all very happy about that. However, she is still extremely malnourished. The doctor's solution was that she eat more protein. She has been focused on doing so ever since her surgery; now she is trying to up her intake even further. And despite trying to get as much protein as she can, her last blood work showed that her protein is at a 2, which is apparently really bad.

So a couple of questions for you - Have you heard of anyone going through something similar to this? What did they do to improve their nutrition and overall health? (Because at this point the doctor is now recommending undoing the surgery so that she can absorb protein better, but I don't want my elderly mother to undergo surgery again.)

How can she up her protein? She is already eating large amounts of protein at every meal and snacking on it throughout the day. She is also eating plenty of vegetables. I know you're not supposed to get your protein from drinking, but would that be helpful here? Just to make sure that she's getting enough? And how many grams of protein should she be eating a day?

What kind of vitamins should she be taking, and at what dosage? She is very low on like Vitamin D and B, and assures me that she's taking OTC vitamins that her doctor recommended. I know that's not good enough if you have absorption issues and gastric bypass, and I also know that doctors' recommendations (especially those who don't focus on bariatrics) often recommend way below what is needed. (Her vitamin levels are bad enough that the doctor wrote her a prescription for vitamins to take once a week.)

Any and all advice/help/suggestions would be most welcome. Thank you!

tipintensity
on 2/22/24 7:38 am
Topic: RE: I need help

Eating lots of protein-rich foods helps enhance cell regeneration and wound healing;
Eating foods rich in vitamin C (from fruits such as oranges, pineapples, strawberries...) stimulates the skin to increase connective tissue, necessary for the wound recovery process; burrito craft
Limiting eating too much salt and sugar can help reduce inflammation and prevent complications of edema.

airbender
on 2/15/24 10:18 pm
Topic: RE: Malabsorption question

suggest eating normal fat intake, don't drink the stuff, but don't go low fat. When DSers consume drastic high fats the potential for enteric hyperoxaluria is pretty high. Unless you have 24 hr urine for stones as part of your yearly lab work.. those who don't won't know till they get stones or kidney disease

If you have a specific question for me, PM me or I will not see it, as I don't check responses on the forums and don't have anything forwarded to my email.

airbender
on 2/15/24 10:10 pm
Topic: RE: High PTH low/normal calcium very low Vit D help

You have secondary hyperparathyroidism due to your DS malabsorption, and it is affecting your bone health. You need a lot more dry VitD3 and a lot more Calcium citrate. message me if you want more info

If you have a specific question for me, PM me or I will not see it, as I don't check responses on the forums and don't have anything forwarded to my email.

Most Active
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 41 views
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 41 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 618 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 227 views