Recent Posts

airbender
on 2/15/24 10:18 pm
Topic: RE: Malabsorption question

suggest eating normal fat intake, don't drink the stuff, but don't go low fat. When DSers consume drastic high fats the potential for enteric hyperoxaluria is pretty high. Unless you have 24 hr urine for stones as part of your yearly lab work.. those who don't won't know till they get stones or kidney disease

If you have a specific question for me, PM me or I will not see it, as I don't check responses on the forums and don't have anything forwarded to my email.

airbender
on 2/15/24 10:10 pm
Topic: RE: High PTH low/normal calcium very low Vit D help

You have secondary hyperparathyroidism due to your DS malabsorption, and it is affecting your bone health. You need a lot more dry VitD3 and a lot more Calcium citrate. message me if you want more info

If you have a specific question for me, PM me or I will not see it, as I don't check responses on the forums and don't have anything forwarded to my email.

pablito1
on 2/5/24 6:25 am
On December 11, 2023 at 5:01 AM Pacific Time, Jmm4321 wrote:

You can't take too much calcium, the body won't normally absorb much more than the 1200mg you are taking. Many of us take the same. When I took less the blood work always looked normal because your bones will make up for any shortfalls, and the become brittle over time. I had to have a urine analysis over 24 hours to see that I had a calcium deficit that did not show in my bloodwork. At the time I was taking 600mg per day, now up to 1200 like you. No issues any more.

I've done a couple of ds surgeries. Now I want to start again. papa's games

tycoon4000
on 2/4/24 9:19 pm
Topic: RE: Dr Marek Lutrzykowski??

Hi, actually Dr Lutryzkowski passed away. There was a certain time you could pick up your records, I have no idea where they would be. Take care

tycoon4000
on 2/4/24 9:15 pm

Hi, I also had my surgery with Dr Lutryzkowski 02/11/2000 and I'm sorry to be the one to tell you, Doc passed away, I have been searching for another Dr that is familiar with this surgery. My vitamin levels are wayyy out of whack. 24 years ago he changed my life completely, for the absolute better. Just found this site and am hopeful for any help I can find.

Member Services
on 2/1/24 7:01 am - Irvine, CA
Topic: Early Bird Access is Open ? Bariatric Connect 2024 National Conference!

Early Bird Deal Alert, Only 100 Available!

Are you ready to join us at the 2024 Bariatric Connect National Conference in Newport Beach, CA, on September 20th-21st? Now's the perfect opportunity! Starting today, you can grab an Early Bird ticket - be one of the first 100 to register and save $30 on general admission. This Early Bird offer lasts until March 31, 2024, or until the Early Bird tickets sell out - whichever comes first!

Join us on an incredible two-day journey, filled with learning, sharing, and connecting. It's not just an event, it's where you'll find your people! https://bit.ly/42l42aS

tonyadams
on 1/28/24 5:21 pm
Topic: RE: Dr. John Husted

No, I haven't been doing DS surgery before. Buckshot Roulette

mariahdanielle1018
on 1/8/24 7:14 am
DS on 11/17/18

He actually retired a couple years back! Unfortunate too because I was never able to make it back up there to get all of my records :/ so who knows if they are recorded somewhere else

Holdenwhat
on 12/27/23 9:32 pm
Topic: RE: How can I gain weight?

I recently lost about 40 pounds without trying and all my doctors freaked out (I had my DS in 2014). A dozens tests later and I'm healthy, and the weight loss stopped. But my point is that they prescribed me digestive enzymes to help absorb more of what I was eating and therefore stop the weight loss. I also added 3 protein shakes a day (90 grams of protein total) in addition to what I was eating. I've been stable for several months now.

hollykim
on 12/11/23 8:12 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On December 8, 2023 at 6:03 PM Pacific Time, dudenesspa wrote:

I had Duodenal switch surgery in May of 2000. I was 20 yrs old 430lbs. Lost 200lbs. I did not adhere to any specific vitamin plan. Honestly back then there wasn't as much importance placed on it. I took a normal personal multivitamin until 2016.

2010 - iron infusions

2021 - rushed to hospital with severe anemia. Been getting infusions since.

2018 - lots of teeth problems

Anyway , I'm older now and my laissez fairer attitude about supplements has gotten me into more trouble. Elevated intact PTH, vitamin D of 12. Calcium hovers around 8.9. Just had a failed dental implant where a little bit of bone came out with the failed screw.

im trying to make things right. High PTH, super low vitamin D, and low/normal calcium. I am attempting to take 1200mg calcium citrate per day, 5000 iu daily of vitamin D between supplements and vitamin D lamp.

I guess my question is do you all take calcium? I know I need as much D as possible but calcium is always in range so hard to know if I need it although high PTH means I do I believe. I'm afraid of overdoing calcium. Advice?

You might also consider seeing a good endocrinologist. Mine has helped me immensely with vitamin supplement levels.
I take 2500 mg of calcium a day in the form of Upcal D mixed in orange juice all at one time. That amount is necessary to keep my calcium in the range the endo wants it.
I also require 50,000 IU of vitamin D A DAY to stay in normal range.

becsuse we malabsorption so much it is hard to really overdose on supplements.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 166 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 700 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 238 views