bdocker’s Posts

bdocker
on 2/11/18 10:12 am
Topic: RE: If I am low on Vit D do I need to get it higher before DS?
But will ask about the full face mask. I felt like I was suffocating while it forced air down my nose only. I am a mouth breather (likely due to small airways) and it forced so much air in my nostrils that it hurt.
bdocker
on 2/11/18 10:10 am
I thought this might be the case. The rx D "should" have me up to speed in two months. But I am still getting info submitted to insurance and I know first hand that takes time. So trying to do what I can to be informed and ready. I knew there were D issues any way. But will be getting my bloodwork done to recheck D levels at the end of the rx and also working on iron.
bdocker
on 2/11/18 10:07 am
The issue with Dr Elariny is that he doesn't submit to insurance and that's the only way that I can afford it and because of that he is also not in network. I would prefer him all things told. But I also have to be able to afford the surgery.
bdocker
on 2/5/18 6:01 am
Hi everyone, so I was a member years ago and wanted a DS. Had insurance that flat out would not cover WLS. Was still trying to figure out to self pay when I got pregnant with my third child. Fast forward five years and my husband once again supports me getting WLS. My BMI is close to 60, and I have been this weight for 7 yrs now. I am in relatively good health except for sleep apnea which I am trying to work on. Have not tolerated a CPAP and just found out I have deviated septum. So getting a new sleep study and if I still have the same issues will get the septum fixed to see if that allows me to tolerate CPAP. But in the mean time my iron and vit D levels are low. D is 14 and got rx D to get it up quickly. Should I hold off until my vit levels are better? Will a surgeon make you wait until you are better since DS makes maintaining vit levels harder?

Side note: my new insurance seems like it overwhelmingly approves of WLS. Just really hoping it also covers DS. I have some relatively close options for surgery as I am in MD and John Hopkins has several drs who perform it.

Looking for any or all thoughts and insights. Thx!
bdocker
on 8/9/12 8:37 am
Topic: RE: Pregnancy post DS and post internal hernia
Apricots and prunes are good for your during pregnancy. Natural source of iron and you need the carbs for pregnancy.

Good luck!

Brenda~
bdocker
on 3/23/12 4:58 am
Topic: RE: 1 year surgerversary!!!
Aw! LOVE THIS!

And you're right you were gorgeous both ways but so healthy now! Wow 200lbs in a year! That's just amazing. No other surgery would do that.

Can't wait til I get closer to getting a date!
Brenda
bdocker
on 3/1/12 11:33 am
Topic: RE: 12 weeks today
Love this! Congrats. And I'm sure you do have gorgeous hair...just like the rest of your gorgeous self!

Brenda
bdocker
on 3/1/12 10:50 am
Topic: RE: Has anyone used Dr Apparao Vanguri?
Angie, can I just say...I think I love you. LOL

I'm right there with you on attitude. I am expecting it to hurt. I am also expecting it to take awhile to get through all the steps and lose the weight and that it is going to be work.

I'm okay with ALL these things. I've had two c-sections so that's my only previous surgery experience. The first one was after being in labor for 100 hours. It was a horrible experience recovering from that. My second one was a breeze and they all panicked when I wanted to check out of the hospital in 24 hours. But I think it was because I knew what to expect and I was determined to have a great recovery.

This is how I feel about DS. I've done tons and tons of research. I know my history and I know it's for me. I've already done quite a bit of counseling regarding they "why" I got to where I am with needing wls. I need a tool to help me undo what I've done.

My only concern about Franklin square is it's really quite the drive from my part of MD and I am actually closer to VA. So I fully intend and WANT to go to the support groups occasionally I know it'll be a struggle because of my two little ones and the drive into the "big" city. LOL

But I'll do whatever I have to.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your frank story. Thank you so very much for sharing your experience.

Brenda
bdocker
on 2/28/12 7:31 am
Topic: RE: Brok's Pizza
If no one has ever tried them I also highly recommend getting a "silpat" mat. They are expensive around $20 for one but they last forever. You don't have to use spray any longer if you do that. Nothing sticks. It's wonderful and a great way to save on calories.

Brenda
bdocker
on 2/28/12 7:27 am
Congrats on your surgiversary!

Was he very expensive? I know your experience is some time ago but just curious?

Anything you could share about your experience would be nice and greatly appreciated!

Brenda
bdocker
on 2/23/12 7:52 am
Topic: RE: APPROVED!!
YAY!

So happy for you!
bdocker
on 2/23/12 7:51 am
Topic: RE: what is "protein coffee"?
I haven't even had the surgery yet and I enjoy these a great deal. I also enjoy mine cold. So I don't add the half and half or cream at this time but mine is:
8oz cold coffee
1 scoop of vanilla protein powder (I get it at WalMart)
1-2 tsp of SF caramel syrup.

I mix in a blender cup and then enjoy! It's lovely.
bdocker
on 2/20/12 1:55 am
Topic: RE: Pre-op Nutrition Consultation
Hi Wendy,

I'm looking to get DS at some point also. If Dr E's nut doesn't work for you, you could check with the nut at Franklin Square in Baltimore. They also do the DS there. They are my second choice behind Dr E as they are vetted on DSFacts.com so they may have some experience as far as the NUT consult for Dr Greenbaum.

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.

Brenda
bdocker
on 2/20/12 1:49 am
Topic: RE: Onederland, skin and labs
Congrats! Wow how totally amazing. Your mom would be so happy for you. I find you totally inspring and you must be if your sister is going down the same road.

Cannot wait to see your before and after pictures. What a great post to find on a Monday.

Way to go!

Brenda
bdocker
on 2/16/12 8:33 pm
Topic: RE: not much longer
Good luck!

Brenda
bdocker
on 2/16/12 8:31 pm
Topic: RE: xpost: Probably wondering where I went?! Update! (long)
You have such a great attitude.

Hope it's all downhill from here and you have the worst behind you.

So good to see you back and posting.

Brenda
bdocker
on 2/14/12 11:24 pm
Thank you so much for all the info! I really and truly appreciate it.

I am sure Dr E is totally worth it. At this point I just want to do the research to see if this other practice and dr is a viable option. You get what you pay for, but the reality is you only have so much that you can pay.

I will save up if I have to. I truly beleive the DS is worth the wait and I don't mind doing the work for another calendar year to roll around and our situation to be different. But honestly there is a need and the sooner the better. I am in this for the long haul.

Scars aren't a big deal to me. I tend to heal quite nicely (or have in the past from 2 c-sections) and at least if the procedure is done open they'll be able to visualize any other potential issues.

Thank you both again. You are fantastic.

Brenda
bdocker
on 2/14/12 1:46 am
bdocker
on 2/14/12 12:55 am
She doesn't show up on the member search. I'd be really interested in finding out what she remembers about the cost.

Gina, I wanted to use your doctor - but their group they use for the nutrition portion is 2k out of pocket. Not that it isn't totally worth it - but if that's the cost I can't do it this year so exploring other options and found this dr on dsfacts.

Any info anyone could provide about the bariatric center at Franklin Square in Baltimore would be helpful.
bdocker
on 2/13/12 5:44 am
Topic: RE: Hubby wants a revision, but not to DS because of me.
No help to offer but just wanted to lend you what I do have which is support.

You and your hubby will be in my thoughts and prayers that he comes around and after research makes a better choice than anything as risky as revising to BOB or a stomaphyx. Of the surgeons I've been researching for myself most won't even do those surgeries.

Happy thoughts for you!

Brenda
bdocker
on 2/13/12 5:23 am
I found him on DSFacts. The surgeon I've been hoping to use has a large fee for the dietician/nutritional service. It's actually a separate company and it's got a $2k fee. That's really steep for my family right now.

So before I write DS off my list for this year... I was doing a last ditch for surgeons in my area. I'm in the DC/MD/VA area.

This doctor was listed on the DS website - but the hospital's website is lean when it comes to info.

So any takers on more info?

Thanks!
bdocker
on 2/13/12 12:01 am
Topic: RE: DS and birth control pills
I've used Nuvaring in the past and highly recommend it. It's wonderful.

But I've also heard very good things about Seasonale.
bdocker
on 2/6/12 11:07 am
Topic: RE: Warning *graphic pics* FDL TT finally complete
You look totally amazing! Your surgeon did a beautiful job. A few weeks and the swelling will go down and you won't have to deal with all that extra skin any more.

Congrats. So incredibly happy for you!
bdocker
on 2/6/12 10:52 am
Topic: RE: Another sleep apnea question...
Hey there

Just thought I'd chime in too. My doctor explained that I have a very good chance of getting off of my cpap when I lose weight. He explained to me that the reason he beleived this is first of all women stand a much higher chance of no longer needing their cpap than men do because of the way they tend to carry their weight and women are usually smaller than men.

He said the other factor has to do with how your air ways are shaped and the size of your tongue. If your air ways are very small (and your tongue is large in proportion) it's likely that your apnea is weight related. If your airways are larger (like men tend to be) odds are lower that it's related to weight. Instead it's much more likely that your apnea is caused by other reasons.

This is just what was shared with me, so not sure if this helps or not. But would perhaps support why your other male family members need their cpaps even though they don't have as much of an issue with weight.

Hopefully you'll be one of the lucky ones!

B~
bdocker
on 1/22/12 10:20 pm
Topic: RE: DS and meds later on down the road
Hi there, not much help on most of what you said but if you're looking for BC that doesn't involve the malabsorption I highly recommend the Nuva Ring. It's an insert that you wear internally and change each month. I used it for several years and loved it. Most folks never feel it. It bypasses your digestion so you don't have to worry about your malabsorption.

Good Luck!
Brenda~
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 148 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 690 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 237 views