amanda_cross’s Posts

amanda_cross
on 6/25/17 1:30 pm
Topic: RE: Insurance Approved and DS scheduled! New Questions...

Dogma2Karma -- THIS! :) Thank you -- I so enjoyed the candidness of your response and your experience! So many people express something similar -- I'm worrying so much, right now, about what I'm going to eat after surgery. But I will be so led by my own body/response to food stimuli (taste, smell, desire, etc.) that I will need to just start figuring it out after my surgery.

The vitamins are still something that concern me, if only because they are such a stringent part of the post-DS lifestyle -- critical, non-negotiable. I don't even know if I'm expressing myself correctly -- I kind of feel like the vitamins are this huge test I need to take the day after surgery, and I have the time up until I have surgery to study and cram as much info as possible...and I'm afraid I'm not going to receive a passing grade! But no -- I will start off with what is recommended, and wait to get my first set of post-surgery labs back, and make more educated/informed decisions from that. I've seen other forum users mention this "Vita Lady" -- I am definitely looking her up to see what she offers, at least to start off with.

It sounds crazy, but "nothing tasting good" -- not enjoying eating is something I have almost been looking forward to in those weeks/months immediately following surgery.... My surgeon advocates that patients lose as much weight as quickly as possible after surgery, as that is the "easiest" (fastest?) time for the weight coming off. Thank you, again, for your candid reply. :)

amanda_cross
on 6/25/17 1:14 pm

Pete - thank you for sharing this wonderful information and your experience. It seems a recurring sentiment that while there are some things I worry about and am able to control, there is an element of having to wait and experience it for yourself to really understand. A big part of me wants to know, right now, three weeks before I have my surgery, what exactly will I be eating? What protein shakes will I need/want/like? Exactly which vitamins, and what brand, and what dosage, will I be taking? I hate the feeling of uncertainty I have, when I think... "Well, you're not going to know what foods you can and cannot eat until you have the surgery. You like Premier Protein shakes now, but you won't really know if you will still love them after the surgery. You can buy the appropriate "DS" vitamins recommended by your surgeon's office right now, but you need to wait to see how your labs look after surgery to know exactly what you need...." I need to be better at preparing for what I can right now...but taking each thing one step at time, as it comes, definitely seems not only the best, but truly the necessary path to take. :)

And I so appreciate your last sentiment -- "We all had different concerns and worries, but given some time it all works out." Thank you for that! :) It is an attiude and mindset I am using more and more to reassure myself that this is the right decision, and I will know what to do/learn what to do at each step that comes. Thank you.

amanda_cross
on 6/25/17 1:03 pm

ILoveFlowers -- Such a sweet reply! :) Truly, thank you. I appreciate your persepctive, and for sharing your experience with me. While I neither envy nor wish for the complications that kept you in and out of the hospital for 40 days ;-( I actually am reassured by your description of "learning how to eat" not being as difficult as you thought it would be -- this is something I think of often, as well! Since I'll be starting out on "clear liquids" and the liquid diet post-surgery and just kind of going from there, I'm realizing it's not as *immediately* daunting as I'd initially made it out to be.

Also -- I've wondered about compression garments. Not so much as a remedy for hanging skin, but rather as comfort (even necessity) after a surgery such as this. A few coworkers/friends who've had various bariatric surgeries in the past couple of years have shared their experience with abdoment compression bands worn after surgery, and many said they made them just "feel" better - i.e. negated the pain/discomfort. But not all...I appreciate your perspective on this - thank you. :) And yes -- while I am trying to learn/absorb/plan as much as possible in the weeks leading to surgery, prayer that all goes well with myself and for my surgeon is important. :) Thank you.

amanda_cross
on 6/25/17 12:55 pm

Thank you for sharing your experience (sorry so late in replying, I haven't logged on in a couple of weeks). I think I am underestimating how long I'll be "out of commission" for, so to speak, after the surgery -- I was hoping to be back at work within a week or two. I work a desk job with plenty of time to get up and move around, but that won't make much difference if I'm still just feeling subpar recovering from major surgery. And -- thank you for your perspective/info on the vitamins! This is one of the things giving me greatest concern right now -- I generally trust in what the doctor says/prescribes, but the ongoing opinion here definitely seems to be patient-directed, each patient determining for her or himself what is best needed based on their own lab results. Does anyone help you interpret those? Others on these forums? Your other physicians?

Again -- thank you for your candid response! :) I appreciate all of the real-world perspective/advice.

amanda_cross
on 6/1/17 1:43 pm

Thank you for your reply -- I see on your ticker your goal weight was reached in 8 months post-DS -- wow, those are impressive results. I'm not sure why, I'm surprised that everyone seems to be in the hospital for so long. I realize I hadn't asked my surgeon what his estimate of how long I'd be in the hospital was -- I was thinking one night overnight, maybe two.

It does sound like liquid/shakes/protein supplement is going to be a big part of the food intake that first month, even those first several months. It makes sense that slow experimentation is needed to figure out what works and what doesn't work.

amanda_cross
on 6/1/17 11:56 am

Thank you for the reply -- I agree, thinking about your answer to the "first month being the hardest" -- there won't be actual eating there, will there. Liquid intake, soft food intake, etc. No rushing getting to baked chicken or grilled steak...

I guzzle water, now! I drink about 1/2 of a 32 oz camelbak eddy bottle at a time...usually get 64 oz in in the first hour of the morning. I am going to need to learn to sip, continuously. That'll be a learning curve, too...

And yes -- the vitamins are what weight heavily on my mind. Thank you for your candid answer - the surgeon's office does sell a specific bariatric vitamin and I will likely go with that, at least in the beginning. There'll almost be a lifelong learning curve on that, I suppose. Lots of learning going on, haha! But that makes sense -- a lot of learning must happen for a complete lifestyle change.

amanda_cross
on 6/1/17 11:25 am

Well -- I just found out yesterday that my insurance has approved the BPD-DS (and cholecystectomy, aka gallbladder removal, at the same time). Today, the surgery was scheduled for July 13th -- a mere six weeks away! Ahhh! It seem so cliche that people describe a "rollercoaster of emotion" when getting news of a firm surgery date, but here we are -- I am SO excited, and am actually tearing up with relief and happiness. But at the same time, and this is what really surprises me -- I am suddenly nervous and unsure, emotions I had not experienced at all, up until now. I am not unsure on whether I want the surgery -- there is not one part of me that desires to call my doctor's office and ask them to delay while I think about it longer; I am not even saying to myself, Amanda, do you really want to do this? I know I do. I feel -- I don't know, "unsure" in a greater, more existential sense -- how am I going to live the rest of my life like this?

Lol -- just re-read what I wrote, sounds rambling and doesn't even make much sense. Anyway -- not to worry, I know we all figure it out in the end. I know I will. But I was hoping I could ask some of the "veteran" DS'ers a few basic questions -- I know a lot of this info is generically available with a quick Google search, but I so appreciate hearing real-world responses from individuals who have experienced this procedure themselves.

• How long were you in the hospital for?
  • Was the first month really the worst, as I've seen people say? I mean -- I realize it will certainly be challenging, as it is the beginning of a long learning curve of relearning "how to eat." But was there a lot of discomfort? Either from the surgery, or from eating the wrong thing?
  • Do you still supplement with protein in powder/liquid (i.e. shake, etc.) form?
  • This is the big question, something I considered putting in a separate post by itself -- how do you manage the vitamin intake? Do you take the vitamins recommended by your surgeon's office, or did you to begin with? Do you tailor your own vitamin intake based on your labs? Have you found it challenging? And does anyone take bariatric multivitamins that are covered by insurance?

Thank you, in advance! Now, back to my cliche rollercoaster of emotion...!

amanda_cross
on 5/5/17 12:47 pm
Topic: RE: Doctor has proposed Duodenal Switch

Yes! I appreciate you reiterating the necessity of being, personally, on top of labs and taking vitamins/supplements, and not just relying on the doctor and his practice to be taking care of that for me. It sounds like while everyone may have had, or have gone through, similar post-surgery experiences in term of what they can eat and how it changed everyone's bathroom habits, each person has their own "learning curve" and have had to figure out for themselves what works best (and what not to do). And I am so glad to hear that it's worked in the long-term for you -- that's definitely the biggest reason/most attractive feature of this surgery for me! Yes, I agree that I want to lose as much weight as quickly as I can, but even more important is the ability to keep it off in the long run. Thank you!!

amanda_cross
on 5/5/17 12:43 pm

Yes, this sounds more realistic! Especially about the learning curve....and I agree, that ends up being the case regardless! I've known friends/coworkers who've had the sleeve or the Roux-en-Y, and they suddenly go from eating a carb-heavy diet to a protein-heavy diet and their BM's are (to them) all kinds of whack-a-doo. I especially appreciate the sentiment that so many others have shared...that given the chance, again, you'd have the surgery in a heartbeat. :) It is reassuring that so many have found this to be such an effective tool in their weight-loss journey. Thank you.

amanda_cross
on 5/5/17 12:40 pm

Thank you for the advice -- those are all good things to consider. I am 37 and have never had iron deficiencies so I don't think I'm going into this with that stacked against me -- all of my labs are normal, except that I am Vitamin D deficient (living in the Buffalo NY region will do that to you!). So that's something for me to keep in mind as I start vitamin/supplements post-surgery. And to keep an eye on calcium. Thank you!!

amanda_cross
on 5/5/17 12:37 pm

Yes! While this is part of what's intimidated me early on while researching/learning about the DS, I realize it's quite critical -- learning what I need (i.e. vitamin and lab-wise, especially) and being prepared to advocate for that for myself. I have a very ordinary trust in my doctor, that he is keeping all of those bases covered for me, as long as I keep showing up to my appointments. But -- yes. That is a responsibility I will need to, in the short and long term, shoulder much of myself, as well. (And yes -- both the doctor and the nutritionist offered a line of "bariatric vitamins and supplements" [powders, pills, drinks, bars, you name it]), which I am sure are great (if you can afford it in the long term)...but I also need the multivitamin/supplements that work for me and I can keep up with, financially. $400, $500 a year on multivitamins as a result of having the DS sounds reasonable to me. $200, $300 per month...I would not be able to do.

amanda_cross
on 5/5/17 12:32 pm

If I had to label my "history," I might use the word "abysmal," as well.... I can regain weight in an amount that (I consider) is extreme. 24 months ago I lost 110 lbs...in the past 12 months I've gained 100 back. That, in reality, is why the DS seems the most appealing surgery to me. I know I can lose the weight, I know I can incorporate lifestyle changes for those year(s) when everything is "easy" and weight is just sliding off. But, when motivation wears thin and the going starts getting tough -- I'd love a "tool" (the weight loss surgery) that is the most effective in helping me keep the weight off, long term.

amanda_cross
on 5/2/17 1:22 pm

Thank you for this reply!! Yes - when the PA was describing this issue, it surprised me how "big" of an issue she made it seem (and yes -- I believe that, to those for whom it has become an issue, it is very significant); but I kept thinking, this has to be something people learn to deal with! If you eat the "right" foods things will work better...when you eat the "wrong" foods, yes, there will be more issues, in every sense! I only recently posted on this website but had been "lurking" for a long while...it's definitely seemed like people here (especially post-op, experienced, veterans, etc.) have their finger much more accurately on the pulse of good advice, good foods, good routines, etc. than the nutritionists and dietitians we see in the hospitals. Thank you!!

amanda_cross
on 5/2/17 1:08 pm

Yes!! Thank you for saying this! I'd read about it on other threads in this DS forum, and it was something both the physician and the PA specifically brought up -- the lifetime commitment to vitamins and labs. I asked the PA if their office would see me for the rest of my life for the labs and monitoring and she said ideally, yes... But it sounded like, or at least made me think, that I need to be prepared to be responsible for those labs wherever I end up 5, 10, 20 years down the road. Thank you for bringing up the food choices and protein intake (and I agree -- when I'm able after surgery, I definitely want my protein intake to come from real food, not just powder/liquid supplements -- though I understand those are important and in some cases critical...) And yes, haha -- I think all poop stinks too!

Have you continued with a specific bariatric multivitamin the entire 14 years since your surgery?

amanda_cross
on 5/2/17 1:03 pm

Thank you for this! Yes -- this is one of the main reasons I am leaning towards the DS, because of the long-term success rate. I know I can lose the weight, I don't mean to say it's not the hard part, but I don't think for me it will be the hardest -- what will be the hardest part is maintaining that much of a weight loss for the rest of my life. Also, thank you for the real-life reply -- not "chained to a toilet!" I didn't necessarily think it would be like that, but with the way the PA made it sound for some of her patients, I wasn't sure! My greatest quality of life will be for me not to weight 400 or 500 lbs by the time I'm 40 or 50, which is where I am headed now if I don't do anything. A high quality of life will include watching what I eat and knowing it will make me go to the bathroom (quickly or not), and just planning for that, but being at a normal/healthy weight. Thank you for your reply!!

amanda_cross
on 5/2/17 10:31 am

Haha, yes -- that describes it perfectly! I did ask her if this was something the patients seemed to suffer right after surgery, or if it was a "lifelong" issue -- she implied that while everyone has loose stools following surgery because of the all-liquid diet, that DS patients had "more" bathroom/poop issues in the long run than other WLS patients.

Thank you for your reply! I am glad for someone to say that it *can* be controlled with what you eat. I would've thought that would be the case -- thank you for confirming. :)

amanda_cross
on 5/2/17 10:27 am

Thank you for your reply! Yes, I agree -- I was so glad he proposed the DS as a possibility, as I really liked what I read about it. And that is good advice about possibly needing NSAIDs in the future... The visit a couple of days ago just kind of threw me a little bit with how strongly she stressed wanting me to know about the "pooping" issues. I am going to keep reading further, but in the back of my mind I already know what direction I am strongly leaning towards... :) Thanks again!

amanda_cross
on 5/2/17 9:31 am

Good morning all -- I am nearing the "end" of the beginning process on the road to weight loss surgery. I've seen the nutritionist, taken the exercise classes, had the upper endoscopy, had the labs done, had the psych eval, and have seen my primary care provider... I'm almost there! :)

Based on the research I'd done, and knowing people who've had either the sleeve or the gastric bypass, I went into this thinking/believing I would have the Roux-en-Y. It seemed like a better choice in that it has better documented results than the sleeve alone. Higher weight loss, better chance of keeping it off. Great!

When I saw my bariatric physician, however, he presented a third option I hadn't heard of before - the biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch. He said he believed I'd be a good candidate for both the RNY or the BPD-DS...he wanted me to take time, research both, and think about it, and come back to discuss further.

Well -- I've done the reading and research, and the BPD-DS *does* seem like a great choice. Even more weight loss in the beginning as well as higher success managing/maintaining weight loss in the future. So I went back to the doctor thinking that.

When I went back to see the doctor, I was actually just seeing the PA, who was checking on the status of my labs, how much of the pre-op oupatient work I'd gotten done. She did ask if I was leaning one way or the other toward any particular surgery. I did tell her I was seriously considering the DS, and she did say that it was a good, very effective surgery. She did, however, talk about several of their current DS patients (not naming anyone, of course, but in a very general way), and that the main issue many of them seem to have after the surgery seem to be bathroom related -- specifically, with very loose stools. She described it as not being to the point of incontinence, but that people generally were unable to be without access to a bathroom especially when they ate, because of the loose stools that almost immediately followed eating.

To a group of people who may be familiar with such a phenomenon: is it as dramatic as she made it sound? Granted she is only telling me what her patients are telling her, and she did not seem to be trying to sway me away from the DS -- she just seemed to genuinely want to make sure I was aware of some of the "side effects" that I may not have read about.

I do not have any co-morbidities, save for moderately high blood pressure. I'm healthy otherwise, outside of morbid obesity. My BMI is 46. I suppose my issue is is that I can gain weight easily, and quickly. I've lost massive amounts of weight (80-110 lbs) at several different points in my life...however, it always comes back, and I almost always end up heavier than before. THAT, to me, is the main reason to go for the DS -- It wasn't until my most recent weight gain that I finally got to "that place" in my mind where I knew I was ready to commit to weight loss surgery.

Sorry if this is rambling or so long -- I'm just looking for some words of advice, experience, guidance, etc. from people who are more familiar with this topic than anyone else I'll speak to.

Thanks! :)

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 360 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 134 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1050 views