babettes_feast’s Posts

babettes_feast
on 5/9/19 7:14 pm
Topic: RE: Robot assisted DS

Hi everyone - Just saw my surgeon who wants to do my DS mid-June. She'll be using a robot. Has anyone had this done? I've recovered from a VSG previously and am curious as to how my recovery from a DS will be different, robot assisted or not. Thanks in advance!

babettes_feast
on 5/9/19 7:07 pm
Topic: RE: Robot assisted DS

Hi everyone - Just saw my surgeon who wants to do my DS mid-June. She'll be using a robot. Has anyone had this done? I've recovered from a VSG previously and am curious as to how my recovery from a DS will be different, robot assisted or not. Thanks in advance!

babettes_feast
on 4/13/19 1:22 pm
Topic: RE: Insurance Issues VSG, DS 8 years later

When I saw my surgeon about this a year ago, the insurance denied me. I didn't appeal at the time, life was too crazy and I hadn't faced the orthopedic crisis I'm now facing.

When I saw her last week, she could see very clearly that I am having severe joint problems: I had a total knee replacement in July 2018 w/ a very difficult recovery, and will have to have to have the other knee down. I also have unrelenting lower back pain/herniated discs. Finally, there are studies linking MS (which I also have) and obesity. So, best case, my surgeon can advocate and we'll be fine. Otherwise, I think my ortho doc and neurologist will get on board.

Also, I asked my insurance company online if I qualified/am eligible for WLS at this time and got a yes, in writing.

babettes_feast
on 4/11/19 11:56 am
Topic: RE: Insurance Issues VSG, DS 8 years later

Hi everyone,

I was also very active on these boards 8-10 years ago. I won't share the long story, but the short version is that I need a DS and my surgeon agrees, robustly! My concern is about my insurance. I have BC/BS of Florida (even though I live in MA, dh's company is in Florida). Has anyone had a problem approaching insurance for a second WLS? What kinds of issues did you face and how did you get an approval? My hunch is that my calling will do nothing, but my surgeon and insurance department at her practice will get results.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

babettes_feast
on 3/7/18 10:31 am
Topic: RE: OH Moderators: SADI is not the DS, the DS is not the SADI. Given them their own board

My healthcare network has a v. transparent online presence. I can login and read all of my doctor's notes, etc. My surgeon's refer to a SADI procedure from the get go.

babettes_feast
on 3/7/18 8:23 am
Topic: RE: OH Moderators: SADI is not the DS, the DS is not the SADI. Given them their own board

Wow, I guess I'm naive, but I find it hard to believe that a reputable surgeon would not practice full disclosure about their plans! My surgeon has been pro-SADI from the get go and she has a very methodical approach as to why. I would think that a doctor who blatantly misled patients would be subject to disciplinary action.

babettes_feast
on 2/23/18 4:51 pm, edited 2/23/18 8:59 am
Topic: RE: Questions about the surgery lengthening the common channel

I'm so very sorry to hear you are going through this!

I think the most important thing for you to do is to make sure you have the best surgeon possible for this revision and that you trust him or her. Is the surgeon you refer to the one who did your original surgery? Do you trust him/her completely? If not, please get a second opinion asap.

I see you are in Kentucky. I did a quick search and found a list of bariatric surgeons:

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=bariatric+surgery+kentucky&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

I hope this helps you. Keep posting to this board, too!

babettes_feast
on 2/19/18 8:15 am
Topic: RE: For Post-Op: Most Nutrient Rich Foods/Polyphenols

I'm definitely about protein first, however I'm wondering if berries, for example, high in polyphenols, can be worked into shakes early out or of there are issues with fiber. If I can't have these nutrient-dense foods, there are lots of polyphenol powders... maybe one of those will be OK mixed with water or protein drink. I'll ask my surgeon and nutritionist.

babettes_feast
on 2/18/18 4:13 pm
Topic: RE: For Post-Op: Most Nutrient Rich Foods/Polyphenols

Has anyone seen a list of high nutrient-dense foods for DSers? I'm thinking about how to get maximum nutrition while having malabsorption. There must be scores of books about this. Also, related to this but in a way that delivers them much more intensively: does anyone here take a polyphenol/probiotic supplement?

babettes_feast
on 2/17/18 4:19 pm
Topic: RE: Concentration issues?

I'm having a DS in April but was just browsing on the RNY thread. How's your iron?

babettes_feast
on 2/15/18 1:34 pm
Topic: RE: Diet Immediately Post-Op

Thanks Janet. I had a sleeve done 7.5 years ago, so I remember what that post-op was like. I'm assuming I'll be on clear liquids to stay hydrated for a while, then soft purees, etc. I might be in trouble because my favorite protein drink is Click and it's *full* of caffeine, which my surgeon now prohibits!

babettes_feast
on 2/14/18 4:34 pm
Topic: RE: Diet Immediately Post-Op

When I saw my nut today, she gave me the pre-op diet. I meant to ask her for the post op diet so I can cook and freeze, but forgot. What was your diet like immediately post op? Is it strictly clear liquids (soups, etc.) or can you have other liquids and purees? Recipes and/or ideas most welcome!

babettes_feast
on 2/14/18 2:54 pm, edited 2/14/18 2:57 pm
Topic: RE: x-Post Ambivalent No More!

Hi Everyone -- I just had the best appointment with my surgeon. I'm down 2 more lbs and have worked hard to wean from caffeine, swim/water aerobics 3X per week and get used to protein first and drinking lots of water. She was really pleased with my progress and is happy to work around my daughter's college graduation on May 12: the office will be scheduling the surgery (adding DS to 7 year old sleeve) in early April! So happy, so much more confident than I was.

I might x-post this on the main board, is that OK or frowned upon on these forums?

babettes_feast
on 2/7/18 2:33 pm
Topic: RE: I failed the DS, taking responsibility.

Please seek help for your depression. I'm a therapist and I suffer from it, too. It's completely treatable and will make a huge difference in your energy level and motivation.

babettes_feast
on 2/7/18 2:29 pm
Topic: RE: I failed the DS, taking responsibility.

I like your mention of Dr. Atkins' Induction program. So many people don't realize that almost all modern healthful ways of eating started with Atkins. He hardly ever gets credit!

babettes_feast
on 1/22/18 3:04 pm
Topic: RE: Will I be able to get all vitamins from Celebrate?

Wow, thanks everyone! I've visited Vitalady's site, but didn't realize she had a printout for every procedure. I'm not averse to taking lots of pills, not at all. But I like efficiency!

babettes_feast
on 1/20/18 2:15 pm
Topic: RE: Will I be able to get all vitamins from Celebrate?

I'm prepping for a revision: sleeve to DS probably in March. I'd like to take vitamins starting now. It looks like I can put together everything I need from Celebrate, which would make things simple. I'm trying to get the most nutrient dense supplements possible with as few pills/patches as possible. Thanks everyone!

babettes_feast
on 1/13/18 12:07 pm
Topic: RE: Visit with Nutritionist: Big food restrictions starting ... now! Plus, no caffeine!

I had my second visit with my surgeon yesterday (technically more because she did my VSG 7 years ago). She has a new nutritionist in the office and I met with her as well. She basically described and prescribed a Keto diet for me. Animal protein, veggies, no more than 2 fruits per day. Is this what most of you eat pre-op? And why is caffeine so bad? I've never heard of that being forbidden and it's a problem because the only protein drink I like is Click and it's loaded w/ caffeine. Help!

babettes_feast
on 1/6/18 3:43 pm
Topic: RE: Let's talk about poop

Thanks for your answers everyone. I know this territory is well-trodden, but it's new to me so I appreciate your patience and thorough answers.

babettes_feast
on 1/3/18 3:21 pm
Topic: RE: Let's talk about poop

So I'm part of a FB group about the DS and its relatives (no shaming those who choose other options, please) and there a lot of poop and fart talk. So I need the straight story here: am I going to ruin a dinner party, send other bathroom users running for their lives at the symphony, destroy my entire social and professional life? Will poops be well formed or am I destined to a life of really messy poops? And what about the flatulance. How much? How often?

I feel this is the one area I need to get prepared for so I thank you in advance.

babettes_feast
on 9/13/17 10:42 am
Topic: RE: Brand new to this forum -- seeking info about DS

Hi Janet -- What vitamins and other supplements do you take daily? Brands welcome! B.

babettes_feast
on 9/13/17 9:54 am

Actually, I just called my original VSG surgeon to have my records transferred to the DS doc and learned that my original surgeon is now doing the DS. So I am pretty happy! My appointment with her is on Friday the 13th ;-)

babettes_feast
on 9/13/17 8:21 am

Thanks so much Janet! I wondered who in these boards would be old enough to catch my screen name! Making my doctor's apps. today!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 266 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 742 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 250 views