Amy R.’s Posts

Amy R.
on 4/30/19 6:19 pm
Topic: RE: Severely anemic, poor labs

Mine are dry. The ones from the pharmacy are oil, and they are usually D2. My D3's are over the counter and I buy them online.

We can't absorb the D2's from the pharmacy very well at all and they're basically worthless to us post op.

I'm taking Bio Tech brand, and the bottle says "D3-50, Cholecalciferol, Dietary Supplement". I paid around $30 plus shipping for 100 capsules and it lasts close to a year. Not sure if adding a link is ok in here but you can find the Bio Tech website easily if you Google it.

Hope this helps. Take care and good for you for getting on top of this now. It's critical, as you're discovering, but not every surgeon educates their patients sufficiently.

Amy R.
on 4/30/19 10:48 am

Rainier Hematology/Oncology
Dr. Katherine (Ludwila) Martin
253-241-4296

There you have it. I'm really glad your own doc is paying attention now and giving you some blood. Two units is substantial and I'm glad it's being addressed.

As far as the Vit D, many of us supplement significantly. I take 50,000IU twice per week personally. There are people who take even more, and people who don't need to supplement much at all. Most docs would cringe at the higher numbers but eventually come to terms with larger doses if labs pan out and improve.

Good luck getting better. If you think of it and have a moment maybe you can check in and let us know how it's going. It can take a long, long time to get blood situations in order so once you're in a good spot make sure to stay vigilant.

Amy R.
on 4/30/19 7:41 am

I'm sorry you're dealing with this. My issues are similar and there have been many blood transfusions and iron infusions since about three years post op.

After much searching I've found a hematologist who has made all the difference and is the first doc ever to be able to help me sustain acceptable results.

I'm in Washington but if you can't find someone to treat you sufficiently where you are you might want to consider making the trip. Rainier Hematology and Oncology in Puyallup with Dr. Kathleen (Ludwila) Martin. She treats these issues very seriously and has been a godsend and an eye opener for me. If you're interested I'll dig up her phone number.

disclaimer: you may have something else actually going on so unless you've got a diagnosis you might have to do some testing or provide some history. It's easy to assume what's going on when you see numbers like yours but it's 100% necessary to have a hematologist *****searches all options.

Once levels get as low as yours it can take many treatments to get them up to or near normal.

Blood transfusions certainly can make a person feel better soon afterward. Handle it now and push for what you need. My last transfusion was five units. Yep. 5. Dr. Martin had me tracked down in the grocery store. That's how pro-active she is, and how dedicated. I hung out in the ICU for a couple of days.

You don't want to get yourself into that situation just because no one is paying attention. Any readings under eight should get you sent to the ER asap - a "normal" healthy adult should have between 10 and 12 units.

Good luck and stay the course. It can suck for awhile but it can get better. It can even get "normal" believe it or not.

Amy R.
on 3/21/19 7:04 pm
Topic: RE: Where is everybody?

Have you tried sending any of those you miss a PM? Sometimes that will draw someone out.

Also, activity on the boards seems to rise and fall for no apparent reason. It's the nature of forums and I'm guessing this format isn't as popular now that we have FB.

Amy R.
on 2/16/19 2:47 pm
Topic: RE: Help!!! Bad gas all the time

I buy the capsules. How much I take daily is subject to how gassy I feel. I take four each day and sometimes six. The maximum dose is I believe eight.

So every day I take two capsules with my morning meal and then another two capsules with dinner. I've had periods when I've only had to take two each day but unless I run out I don't go any lower than two. So in other words sometimes I can get by with only one capsule morning and evening.

It's also a bit subject to what's going on in my life that day. Formal or semi-formal occasions? I take six the day before (divided into three doses). I then do the same the day of. Hanging around the house with no big plans? Maybe only two or four.

Sorry to give such a long response to such a short and specific question. There just isn't any way to know how much you need without trying it out. All of our bodies and food intakes are so different. As is the way we metabolize supplements and meds.

Good Luck =)

Amy R.
on 2/16/19 7:39 am

I'm so sorry the Devrom didn't work!

My own surgery was just over 10 years ago. The gas problem came on pretty suddenly in year nine. The first eight years I had episodes but they were manageable. Still haven't been able to find the reason for the sudden increased gas but if I don't take the Devrom it comes right back.

Totally understand the part about not wanting to go anywhere. Hope you can find your answer.

Amy R.
on 2/14/19 8:19 pm

Eventually you're probably going to want to isolate the foods that give you the worst gas and avoid them. That takes time though and I'm guessing you want something that will help right now.

Have you tried Devrom? I've not had huge gas problems until this last year. It was horrible and I tried everything I know but still couldn't pinpoint the problem. Many here swear by Devrom, and I'd looked it up before but decided I didn't want to spend the money.

Fast forward to this latest episode and I'd have paid pretty much any price to get rid of the gas. Devrom has worked like a charm for me for the last six or eight months. Honestly I was at the end of my rope and I'm not sure what I would have done if I hadn't tried it. It had gotten to the point that I'd avoid family celebrations and even coffee dates with friends.

Long term there are other effective options such as probiotics and such that may help you significantly but for the immediate future I'd highly recommend you try this. (and no, I don't get commission or anything, lol)

Devrom

good luck and I hope you find what works for you.

Amy R.
on 7/13/18 6:31 am
Topic: RE: !5 years post op Weight Gain Found fistula...

No one I know personally. You might try putting "fistula" in the search bar and see what's dredged up.

Amy R.
on 6/8/18 7:15 am
Topic: RE: Any weightloss surgery grads from 2004?

OMG - me too! It's one of the reasons I'm not much of a drinker at all postop.

Amy R.
on 5/12/18 2:41 pm
Topic: RE: Sunshine1968 and DS Revision Question

I just realized I mucked up the forum here really well! Sorry about that everyone. The thread I'm referring to is a handful down from this one.

Amy R.
on 5/12/18 2:39 pm
Topic: RE: Has anyone had their DS revised because they weren?t losing enough weight?

People should probably know that you cross-posted this in the Revision Forum and got a few answers here including input from someone who has gone through a DS Revision.

Just an fyi. =)

Amy R.
on 5/12/18 2:38 pm
Topic: RE: Sunshine1968 and DS Revision Question

People should probably know that you cross-posted this in the Revision Forum and got a few answers here including input from someone who has gone through a DS Revision.

Just an fyi. =)

Amy R.
on 7/1/17 7:18 am
Topic: RE: Biliopancreatic Diversion-Duodenal Switch (Rev. of Rev.)

Is your ticker correct? You might want to update it. Because surely you aren't getting revised for 30 pounds of regain?

Amy R.
on 4/10/17 1:58 pm
Topic: RE: When you still dont fit in.....

I'm just confused. If you didn't weigh 400 pounds because you ate too much, how did a surgery that reduced your consumption of food and calories cause you to lose 200 pounds? Since those weren't the reasons you were overweight?

What am I not seeing?

Amy R.
on 10/17/14 3:10 pm
Topic: RE: revisions and more revisions
On December 31, 1969 at 4:00 PM Pacific Time, wrote:

Amy R.
on 6/18/11 4:55 am
Topic: RE: Uh, you guys may want to check out Nanas post on the LB Forum
I know Janine. 

I was kinda torn about coming over here because I don't want to be accused of stirring things up for no good reason.  But I think that there IS  a good reason this time, because the misinformation is really atrocious (about both of our surgery types). 

Just hate to see stuff like that go uncontested, and I don't know a lot of the specifics of the DS so didn't want to speak for you guys.=)
Amy R.
on 6/18/11 4:23 am
Topic: RE: Uh, you guys may want to check out Nanas post on the LB Forum
Some RnY'rs have already chimed in, but she seems REALLY confused about all surgeries except the band.

I LIKE Nana, but her post is not good and it particularly hits us RnY and DS'rs kinda hard.
Amy R.
on 6/2/11 12:59 am
Topic: RE: DS Friends - Could you pls connect with RNY poster?
That is SO cute Elizabeth!  WHERE do you keep getting all of those cute pictures? 
Amy R.
on 6/2/11 12:54 am

aawwwww, thanks!  (blushing)....

just hate to see someone go through a wls only to be SO likely to have to not have it work and have to do the correct one later.

Thanks to YOU GUYS for taking the time to post to Tammy.  You've really turned her situation around=)

Amy R.
on 6/1/11 10:37 am
Hi Tammy,

These DSr's will be able to help you get started, I just wanted to pop in and let you know that I'm glad you were able to have an open mind about checking into a different surgery.  Hopefully I didn't upset you by coming to this forum and asking folks to check in with you and talk to you - I just couldn't stand the thought of you going through an RnY and likely not having the success you want and NEED.  I wouldn't have been able to live with myself without at least bringing these folks in to the discussion.  I mean, this is your LIFE we are talking about here.

Anywho, I just know this will work out for you.  The DS forum peeps will be very helpful in getting you moving in the right direction and helping you with any changes you need to make.  Since you've done all the pre-op tests you should just be able to move straight into a new surgery date with a DS doc, I'm sure they'll accept your current test results.  Good luck to you, and good for you for not being afraid to make a last minute change.  You won't regret it.
Amy R.
on 6/1/11 6:45 am
Hi everyone,

There is a lady on the RnY board that is over 400lbs, has been faithfully dieting for a year and only lost 30 lbs.  She is now on the pre-op diet for the RnY and not losing any weight.  It sounds like her metabolism is truly compromised.  My understanding of the DS is that it helps that situation much more than the RnY and I really want to make sure this woman understands all of her options.  I posted a suggestion that she check into the DS (for which I'll likely get flamed by my RnY buddies) because I am really concerned that the RnY is not going to do much for her.

Would some of  you guys mind checking in with her?  I realize she is close to her surgery, but just want to make sure she understands the  DS before she goes under the RnY knife.  IDK, it just seems to me from reading her post that the RnY  is going to be a disappointment for her.

Anywho, you guys are the experts - maybe I'm reading her wrong, but I would feel better if you all took a look at least and maybe contacted her if you think I'm correct.

Here is the thread:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/rny/4394235/Frustrated-Nee d-Reassurance/#36324688

Thanks, it feels weird to be kind of pushing the DS because I'm happy with my surgery, but I do believe that each surgery is right for a specific population (excepting the band) and would just feel better if you guys either popped in or PM'd her.
Amy R.
on 3/29/09 4:41 am, edited 3/29/09 4:45 am
Topic: RE: Not a DS'r, but concerned....

Thanks for your responses.  Yes, she seems to have had a rough go of the whole deal - like someone said, def not specific to the DS itself, but due to various and sundry other fun stuff.

Just got off the phone with her Mom and she says that every time she tries to get anything down she still gets sick, but at least she IS back home from the hospital.  Thank God she has her Mom to stay with.  I just hate to think of her suffering so much and hope she feels better really soon.

Thanks for the updates!  I figured some of you had been keeping close track of her and knew what was up!

amy

Edited to add:  Thanks for the link Red.  I don't usually see the DS Forum much so I didn't realize she had posted a few days ago....

Amy R.
on 3/29/09 1:53 am
Topic: RE: Not a DS'r, but concerned....
Hi DS Board Folks,

I'm not a DS so I feel kinda funny posting over here and hope it's okay.

I'm worried about Joan H.  I have kept up with her since her pre-op days and talked to her on the phone a little, but a few days ago when I called her Mom said she was on her way back to the hospital because she was dehydrated AGAIN.  She's been out of surgery about 2 months and it seems like she's been sick the whole time....

You guys seem to take care of each other pretty well over here - have any of you heard from her? I'm going to call again today, but just wondered if/who was keeping an eye out for her over here? Could you PM me or just let me know if there is anything I can or should be doing to support her?  I know our surgeries aren't the same, so wasn't sure if there were encouragements specific to the DS that I could be giving her....

Thanks and be well everyone!
amy

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 364 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 137 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views