Lap band Negatives

Katiana R.
on 6/27/06 5:12 am - Valley Stream, NY
Im really considering having lap band....i decided i would have the DS but my family does not want to go through any major surgery and i know the lap is the less evasive of the WLS's. So i just wanted to know aside from having to go in for fills and losing weight at a slower pass compared to the other WLS's what are some other negative aspects. I just really what to do whats best for me but im soooo indecisive! One my mind is made up and i want DS then i start to think the lap isn't so bad. So any help you can provide would be really appreciated! Thanx **Kati**
Rachel K.
on 6/27/06 6:56 am - moore, SC
Well, I have never researched DS. I was tryin to choose between Lap band and RNY. I was dead set on Lap band since it was the least invasive and least risky. Well, after researching the lap band, I started to hear some horror stories about bands eroding into the stomach linings of individuals that followed all the rules and stayed on the diet. The erosion took place 2 years post op. I talked with my surgeon who performs both surgeries. He is thinking of stopping lap band because of the complications that he is seeing years after surgery. Also, the band can slip. If either the slip or the erosion occur the band has to be removed. The main deciding factor is when I found out the RNY is reversible in severe cir****tances!! My biggest fear with RNY was that it was so permanent. Well when I found out it was reversible in emergencies that gave me the peace I needed. I am in the process of surgery and hope to get the surgery in September. Good luck in making your decision. Research, research, research. You will come to a peace and know that it is the right decision. I wish you the best. Rachel
Tonia Loveslife
on 6/27/06 2:11 pm - Port Neches, TX
I had slippage and reflux with the band. I had it fixed once due to slippage. I still had reflux so I had it taken out and had the rny. I think you should do what you want. There are negatives to all wls. You just have to figure out what is best for you. Good luck! Tonia
ladynitewolf
on 6/28/06 2:35 pm - BFE, CA
Katiana, you need to speak with Ms. Cal Culator over on the DS board. She had the lapband and then was revised to the DS. She would be able to help you out here. You've picked a good surgeon. Dr. Roslin is an excellent DS surgeon. Use his expertise to guide you along this journey.
Michele M.
on 6/30/06 10:37 am - Arundel, ME
While there is a chance of slippage, it IS repairable. It does not mean the band MUST come out just because it slipped. Nice thing about the band is that it IS removable if anything goes wrong. It is uch less permanent then other WLS. Michele
Ms. Cal Culator
on 7/1/06 5:58 am - Tuvalu
Kati, ALL wls's have their negatives. But on the two you are researching... Go to http://www.lapbandtalk.com and find the "Complications Board" and the "Life After Band Removal Board." And, for me losing weight "at a slower pace" would have been fine. What was NOT okay was having a screwed up esophagus, not being able to eat anything like a normal diet, and regaining the weight I did lose. I just today ran across my notes from my band-days. Seven months post-op, I had gone from a BMI of about 48 or 49 to a BMI of 39...and that's about as good as it got. For the next two years, I regained all that weight as I was able to eat less and less solid food. I am now seven months out from the DS surgery. I STILL have horrid eating habits. But in THESE seven months, my BMI has gone from 48 or 49 to a BMI of about 34 and NOW I am slowly losing weight. Age is also another issue. I'm almost 60...I don't know if I'd opt for DS if I were very young and still hadn't started a family...HOWEVER, the DS doesn't seem to be keep the DS Board people here from getting pregnant! Be honest with yourself. Are you a sweets junkie? Do you "graze," every evening, eating all the time? The band may not be as much help as you need. Learn about all of surgeries and then FORGET what your family wants...they are not going to have to live your life if you pick the wrong surgery. Sue
Katiana R.
on 7/1/06 8:05 am - Valley Stream, NY
Thank you ALL for your comments! Please continue to post cause im always checking your comments are truly helpful! **Kati**
jenlaur1
on 7/8/06 5:01 am - Westborough, MA
VSG on 08/19/13
Hey Kati, I have the lap band right now, but I'm in the process of converting to RNY. You can read my profile to get the whole story. Bottom line...not losing weight with the band. So, after much thought, I've decided to convert. There are people, more than you'd think, who just can't lose the weight with the band. No complications other than not losing the weight. I don't care if I lose one pound a week or 5..I just want to keep losing. So, that is why I'm opting for the bypass. Good luck in your decision and your wl journey. Take care, Cathy
Ms. Cal Culator
on 7/1/06 5:58 am - Tuvalu
Kati, ALL wls's have their negatives. But on the two you are researching... Go to http://www.lapbandtalk.com and find the "Complications Board" and the "Life After Band Removal Board." And, for me losing weight "at a slower pace" would have been fine. What was NOT okay was having a screwed up esophagus, not being able to eat anything like a normal diet, and regaining the weight I did lose. I just today ran across my notes from my band-days. Seven months post-op, I had gone from a BMI of about 48 or 49 to a BMI of 39...and that's about as good as it got. For the next two years, I regained all that weight as I was able to eat less and less solid food. I am now seven months out from the DS surgery. I STILL have horrid eating habits. But in THESE seven months, my BMI has gone from 48 or 49 to a BMI of about 34 and NOW I am slowly losing weight. Age is also another issue. I'm almost 60...I don't know if I'd opt for DS if I were very young and still hadn't started a family...HOWEVER, the DS doesn't seem to be keep the DS Board people here from getting pregnant! Be honest with yourself. Are you a sweets junkie? Do you "graze," every evening, eating all the time? The band may not be as much help as you need. Learn about all of surgeries and then FORGET what your family wants...they are not going to have to live your life if you pick the wrong surgery. Sue
Amavin
on 7/11/06 2:37 am - Manchester, NH
I also talked to a couple people who had faulty ports, and had to have them replaced. One had the tube that runs from the port to the band leaked, lots of te*****al issues with the device that caused them to have to have it fixed, or removed. another downside I saw was the fills...if I ever change insurance (which i most definitly will) the fills wil then be out of pocket due to them being part of a pre-existing condition. For me, there just too many things that could go wrong, years later. I was dead-set on the lap band, but I am now looking at doing a Lap RNY.
Most Active