Lap band Negatives

maggie2006
on 7/13/06 9:54 pm - Hialeah, FL
Hey Kati, Research the VSG (Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy). I had it done 5 months ago, about 65 lbs lost, must most importantly....NO COMPLICATIONS! No nausea, no dumping, no nutritional deficiencies! Feel free to e-mail me, Maggie
Deb C.
on 7/21/06 1:24 am - Irmo, SC
I work for Bariatric surgeons and I have seen the complications that are with the RNY..there are a higher risk of complications with the RNY than the Band...EVERY surgery can have complications. I think before the band is judged, a person should do research..Yes there is slippage but the percentage is very low and it can be repaired... but if you compare the problems..risks...the band doesn't look so bad..if you want to see success stories..go to the LapBand message board Good luck Deb
cris35
on 8/17/06 3:18 pm - broad brook, CT
I had the lap-band surgery last month and I've lost 30#.I also have several friends who were banded last year, and they each lost a little over 100# so far.If you go to lapbandtalk.com and read the posts, you will see that there are many many success stories. A few people on the posts even lost about 300#.It's a tool, your success depends on how you use it. I feel it is working good for me. I haven't even had a fill yet, and I don't feel hungry. i know the weight loss is slower, but I opted for the band, because I just was not ready to take the risks involved with the other surgeries.
imnotevrygirl
on 9/3/06 3:55 pm
Katiana, gorgeous name by the way, I had the lap band for two years and have just recently converted to RNY 2 weeks ago. If i had it to do over again I would have NEVER gotten the band, but that doesn't mean it doesn't work for some people. The band gave me terrible acid reflux and started cells in my esophogaus, spelled wrong i'm sure, to begin converting to cancerous cells. Needless to say the band had to go! The problem is that the band creates a pouch at the top of your stomach which in turn holds the acid from the food you've just consumed right there at the bottom of your esophogaus...not good. I did lose some weight but every time the acid would mess with my band and cause another slip and I had to go unfilled for a week or two I gained back whatever I lost. So for me I'd say no to the band, but who knows maybe you would never have issues with reflux and the band would suit you fine...it's total personal decision. The one thing that I have figured out is that calorie absorption is cut in half with RNY but with the band you still have 100% absorption because nothing has been physically changed. So due to that you do lose more weight with the bypass rather than the band. Whew...lot of typing! Hope that helped. Feel free to email me if you want to go more indepth on this subject. I wish you luck with whatever you choose and I'm sure you'll be successful whatever road you choose. Amanda
wackyme
on 9/10/06 10:54 am - NC, NC
Katiana- I am pre-op, but going for the VSG. You really should check it out... there is a forum here that has links to FAQs and lots of info. I had considered LapBand, but when I visited the LapBand board, it seemed like all I read was things about... over-restriction, under-restriction, too tight, feeling hunger, going to a fill, just came from a fill, needing a fill, needing an UNfill, ports being sore, ports being unaccessible, feeling the port when you turn over in bed, ... yadda yadda. I saw lots of posts about frustrations with the rateof weight loss... about feeling very hungry... it just didn't feel right to me. Then I visited VSG board... much different... posts saying they had no real problems, better weight loss, posts about the lost desire to eat (i can only imagine!), yet being able to eat that special birthday cake or dessert (although a small amount) without vomiting. I like that. There are studies that are coming out that VSG is a great alternative to Lapband and RNY. That is my choice, and if my insurance denies it, I will fight and fight because I am not getting RNY or LB. Good luck w/your decision! Stefanie
Most Active