Weight Gain
Tisipoohbear · 14 replies · 1522 views
Stapled stomach
DustyLady · 11 replies · 1198 views
Most Active

lap band failure

hallebarry
on 4/2/09 12:39 pm - Bentoon, IL
I had the lap band surgery in July 08.  I have only lost about 30 pounds.  I have some restriction but can   I can eat a whole sandwich (which I think is to much), also my hunger returns in about one hour.  I have had 8 fills and still no great results. Has anyone out there had the same problem.  I will take any advise I am so depressed!
toomuchme08
on 4/2/09 4:17 pm - Northwest, OH
Halle...I know how you feel.  I, too, had my lapband put in July 1, 2008, and have only lost 23 lbs to date.  I am such a failure at ALL types of diets.  I guess I am destined to be the "fat lady" until the day I die.  I thought the lapband would be my last hope of ever losing weight, and it failed me, too....or I failed it.  I am ready to throw up my hands and say "to hell with it all".   I am really in a very bad mood tonight, so maybe tomorrow I will feel a little better.  I have had 3 fills and think I am at my sweet spot, but the weight just WILL NOT COME OFF!!!

Susie

Allergan 10 cc band:  First fill: 4cc'c  9/8/08   Second fill: .9cc's  10/13/08  
Third fill:  1cc  2/11/09....   Total in band -- 5.9cc's   Very slooooow weight loss!

BW- 273 /  CW -250 /  GW- 170     Total weightloss to date:  23 lbs. ( in 10 months )  Sept. 22, '09-- Had .2 cc's removed from my band.  Slowly gaining back the weight.  Up 10 lbs. CW- 260  Lapband not working for me!

SHIRLQ
on 1/31/10 11:29 am, edited 1/31/10 11:30 am - MARSHFIELD, MO
I had lap band 15 months ago .I have had 12 fills in my 10cc band I am at about 7.7 .It always looks good .when I get my fill.ed in the xray . She thinks I will have to come back for unfill. but never feel to full. And still can eat any think I want.but I do not .I try to eat right. I lose 23 pound .Not sure what is wrong with me .I had one time when it was working and loss 12 pounds when stopped working again. I feel bad ,but do not know what to do .Please help
JeannieBVA1
on 4/2/09 7:53 pm
Sorry your having such a hard time.... I'm just curious to know what your Dr. has to say about it?  
Denise M.
on 4/3/09 5:51 am - Marysville, WA
Lap Band on 04/24/08 with
 I had the lap band surgery in April of 08 and have not successfully lost any weight.  I have been beating myself up for a year over this.  I've never had the restriciton others have had despite numerous fills.  Last week, my nurse recommended I have a fill under fluroscope which I did.  When I drank the barium, we discovered that my band was way too loose.  The barium just swooshed right through.  The nurse added 2ccs to my 11 cc band which is a huge amount.  No wonder I never felt full for more than an hour! 
After the fill, I stayed on liquids for a few days.  The band was then too tight and I had to go have an unfill.  They took .8ccs out and now i have the restriction I've always looked for.  I'm finally hopeful that I will now start losing the weight I'm so desperate to lose.
I hope this helps.

~Denise

Denise Macklin
282/265/165

(deactivated member)
on 4/4/09 1:49 pm - AZ
Revision on 12/06/06 with
On April 3, 2009 at 5:51 AM Pacific Time, Denise M. wrote:
 I had the lap band surgery in April of 08 and have not successfully lost any weight.  I have been beating myself up for a year over this.  I've never had the restriciton others have had despite numerous fills.  Last week, my nurse recommended I have a fill under fluroscope which I did.  When I drank the barium, we discovered that my band was way too loose.  The barium just swooshed right through.  The nurse added 2ccs to my 11 cc band which is a huge amount.  No wonder I never felt full for more than an hour! 
After the fill, I stayed on liquids for a few days.  The band was then too tight and I had to go have an unfill.  They took .8ccs out and now i have the restriction I've always looked for.  I'm finally hopeful that I will now start losing the weight I'm so desperate to lose.
I hope this helps.

~Denise

2cc really isn't a huge amount when you consider that most doctors do fills 3cc at a time until they start getting close.  Then they do smaller fills until a sweet spot.  That's another reason for fills under fluoro.

judex
on 4/4/09 4:27 pm
 Hi
I had a lap band done in Oct. '07.
Did not work at all for me.
Now I am having it removed and a bypass done on June 2nd.

jude
Denise M.
on 4/4/09 6:11 pm - Marysville, WA
Lap Band on 04/24/08 with
Hi Jude,

I'm so sorry your band didn't work out.  I'm also really glad you are going to get the bypass.  I'm sure you will have much better results.  It seems to be more successful.  Good luck with your surgery!

Denise

Denise Macklin
282/265/165

annajacq
on 4/6/09 7:36 pm - Blaine , WA
Lap Band on 03/07/08 with
  I had a lap band done March 08. It's been slow but I have lost some weight every month and am down 61 pounds just over 1 yr.
  I have a freind who did what you are doing and found out that she was not going to her dr on a reg basis so was not getting fills and not really talking to them about what was going on.
  I know for me it took a long time- almost the whole year  to finally get to the"sweet spot". I felt frustrated a lot knowing I could eat an 8 oz steak and veggies and feel ok. But slowly I got there. 
  Then I slowed down because I was not eating enough! Of course it has to be the right food and I am concentrating on eating enough proteitn.
   Remember the band will never be as fast as a bypass. It's discouraging hearing about 50 pounds in 4 weeks ect.  But that is not the surgery you had.
  Keep going in every month and you will get to the right spot. Remember this is a journey, it's not magic. You still have to work at it.
  Keep it up, and watch your food choices.
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wuW2fR0/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wuW2fR0/weight.png">>
jujub15
on 4/12/09 9:38 pm
i am four months post op and have not lost an ounce in over 1 month.  I am running scared but was told to up my activity more.. Is this possible for you?
Sandigrl
on 4/15/09 10:54 pm - TX
Well, I'm also failing this band.  Or is the band failing me?  I've been dieting since my surgery in May, 08.  I lost right away, but have gained ten lbs over the last four months.  I've had 5 fills and 1 unfill.  Right now I have 8.75 cc's in my Allergan 10cc band.  I can eat approx. 2 cups of food before feeling satisfied.  I chose the band because I cannot keep up with dieting.  So, now that I no longer have will power, I am eating way too much.  Then I feel bad and choose the wrong kinds of foods.  Every morning I start over.  I never give up, but lately, I'm tired of making my three medical loan payments knowing this surgery did not work.  I'm going to try for a revision in one year if my next fill on Monday does not give me the restriction everyone is talking about. 

thanks for listening,
Sandi

jujub15
on 4/16/09 6:20 am
Please try soooo hard and stop eating the bad foods.  I know easier said then done.  I,m going for my third fill and am hoping that it helps but i have been staying away from from the bad foods.  Try taking a walk everyday thats what i am doing.  I know how hard this is but try not to get depressed about it.  You have come this far and today IS a new day.  Chin up!!!
Sandigrl
on 4/16/09 9:55 pm - TX
Thank you for the encouragement.  I tried really hard today to avoid the bad stuff.  I started out really good.   But my dh has gone on a business trip, leaving me with five little ones.  They wanted icecream, so I caved.  I also had some.  I didn't even enjoy it because I knew it was wrong.  Tomorrow is another day.  I'll try again.  I'm making a list of things to "rescue" me when I'm tempted or depressed. 

Thanks again,
Sandi

shrinkpachyderm
on 4/28/09 2:40 pm

hi  well i'm no angel when it comes to what i believe to be an eating disorder extraudinaire.
i had the band done at bupa bristol in sept 2005.
i have had many fills and blockages and now my band is empty.i lost 4 and a half stone by vomiting mostly.
i'm now 9 pounds heavier than my surgery weight.
it gets better.my long awaited appointment so see the clinical psycologist came through as i'm being considered for the bypass.
i will make the best use of the 3 appointments.
they said 2 stone weightgain was because i now eat 3 times a day instead of going 13 hours without food then having a huge meal.
i'm disabled so am not very active.
i do not wish to have the bypass for reasons that i will only share if asked about for fear of offending anyone.
3 drs have told me that because i ate like a snail and wasn't eating regularly i was missold the operation.
the band had no way of  allowing me chicken or fish unless it had a sauce and i wanted to stay on baby slops but they insisted i ate and chewed which was very frustrating.
i only joined today and this is my first post.i'd love to hear from any one,please just anyone who understands
shrinkpachyderm

shrinkpachyderm
on 10/25/10 7:22 pm
Well ive been lazy, uninterested in posting until now.   I have accepted that my band for reasons i know now hasnt been the way for me. i eat like a snail, vomited like a seagul and never felt full. had a few blockage s and now im so fed up that finaly after one year and 6 months wait i have had a psychology assesment that said i would be a better candidate for the bypass. I was too scared to go for this in 2005 so better late than never.
Ive waited for the outcome. They changed the cryteria so bmi was in the catagory but i wasnt type 2 diabetic. bmi of 60 and they said no.
i was devastated............................... i kept calling the surgeons clinic secretary. i kissed but but she said up to 2 years waiting list even if i were to get a long awaited appointment..................again i was crushed but my  dad died and i just gave up.
something happened one day. i just decided to pass the secretary and her do not pass go  depressing talk and wrote a personal letter to the surgeon.
i emphasised id spent my savings of 9,000 pounds for an op that was misold to my snail eating ways by a hospital elsewhere. i thanked him for all his help, advice and pleaded that because i wasnt type 2 diabetic i was out of the loop. i told him this news sent me over the edge and i was suicidal and didnt have much hope.
somehow they had a management meeting. i'm tearing up as i type.
he wrote back. i had gone to his pigeon hole at a private clinic he was at once a month to get the letter to him so he replied himself.
i was to be reconsidered because i had been in the system for so long.
his letter said i would need to see his coleague. i went to the appointment.
i waited to see the mental health drs appointment. i got through the assesment. he accepted me and then one year on im away to start my 20 week therapy.
after this i will be reassesed to see if they think i will still do as well as expected.  then i have a year to wait for an assesment with the surgeon and a date for the op should follow within 4 months.......its been hell some days. im on the ladder, one rung at a time. ill need this site to cope without eating compulsively. i hope to hear from all you lovely peeps out there as i embark on my journey.many thanks shrinkpachyderm
  Denial is not a river in egypt.
It's never to late to start over    
annajacq
on 4/20/09 3:37 pm - Blaine , WA
Lap Band on 03/07/08 with

I know it is slow and discouraging. I went for a fill every month and slowly came to eat less and get and stay full longer. This last month was the first time I got too full and had to go back for an unfill.
  Until you get enough in the band there really doesn't feel like much restriction to how much you can eat and that feels like the band is a failure.  you need to remember that the band is empty when placed which means no restriction. Once the swelling goes down they start to fill, but slowly.
  That's why you have to keep going back for fills. If they fill too fast it can cause erosion of the band and slippage.
  The other thing is that it seems that if you eat the wrong foods you can always cause failure especially liquid calories.
  I try not to deny myself at least in my head but always eat the food I am supposed to first. That means protein and vegetables first.  Then I rarely have room for more than a bite or two. And those treats are never more than 1 per day.
  I particularly like 1 square of a really good chocolate. If you let it melt in your mouth and savor it it fills the needs.

http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wuW2fR0/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wuW2fR0/weight.png">>
Spiffytif21
on 4/21/09 6:13 pm - Etters, PA
Hi All,
I had lapband surgery on July 28, 2008.  To date I have lost 30lbs, and become somewhat discouraged.  My Realize band is filled up to 6cc's now.  I don't think I have total restriction yet, but I'm getting there.  My biggest problem is getting all the water in & all the protein.  I need variety & I don't feel like I'm getting that.  As for exercise, I walk, I take the steps, I park further away from stores, I wear a pedometer.. everything I can to go the extra mile!
I'm open to suggestions! 
 Tiffanie
Trisha C.
on 4/22/09 8:31 am - Lansing, MI

Hi,
I am also upset with the outcome of my lapband. I had surgery August 2008 and have only lost 31 lbs.  I have 4 cc's and will have another fill May 1. My Dr. will only put 1cc at a time.  I get enough water and protein. I do the same as you regarding exercise. Yes, I do have a bad day maybe once, twice at the most with my food choices, I just feel I eat better and exercise better than  I ever have, but, I just don't get that full feeling and I am hungry an hour after.

Ca_girl
on 4/25/09 10:51 am - McKinney, TX
I got my band in May of 2007 (coming up on 2 year bandiversary *yawn*) - to date I have lost 50lbs but was stalled at 30 and started taking diet pills last May. I've had a horrible time lots of heartburn and reflux - vomitting.  I have never had the right "restriction or sweet spot" as many bandsters report.  My fills are either too much (have to sit up at night, choke, stuck) or too loose - I can eat anything. In the meanwhile protein doesn't seem to agree with me and I can't even choke down veggies.

I asked my Dr repeatedly for assistance and was shut down time and time again when I inquired about revision, even though my insurance covers it. I refuse to be stuck at 180 (still grossly obese) - plus the band has affected my quality of life as I can't even dine out for fear of having to run to the bathroom to spit up.

I finally changed Drs and have my pre-surg endoscopy (to prove my band is slipped and I have a pouch) and psych on Thursday - I can't wait!

Many ppl fail at weight loss surgery and some choose to get a revision. Don't worry you are not alone, keep going, seek out a new Dr. - prove your lap band is detrimental to your health and get that revision. You deserve it!

hollyberries
on 5/8/09 12:25 pm - Carver, MA
Revision on 02/01/10 with
CAGirl,

Reading your post is like my LIFE! 

However, unlike your doctor, mine has suggested the revision to RNY.  I am not sure what I am going to do because I need to have an Upper GI in two weeks but I am seriously considering it because I still have about 80lbs to lose and I am still Morbidy Obese (go figure...lose 115lbs and still obese). 

Keep me posted on how things go with you...I am interested.

Cindy
Jeremiah 29:11, "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."