lap band failure

hallebarry
on 4/2/09 5:39 am - Bentoon, IL
I had the lap band surgery in July 08.  I have only lost about 30 pounds.  I have some restriction but can   I can eat a whole sandwich (which I think is to much), also my hunger returns in about one hour.  I have had 8 fills and still no great results. Has anyone out there had the same problem.  I will take any advise I am so depressed!
toomuchme08
on 4/2/09 9:17 am - Northwest, OH
Halle...I know how you feel.  I, too, had my lapband put in July 1, 2008, and have only lost 23 lbs to date.  I am such a failure at ALL types of diets.  I guess I am destined to be the "fat lady" until the day I die.  I thought the lapband would be my last hope of ever losing weight, and it failed me, too....or I failed it.  I am ready to throw up my hands and say "to hell with it all".   I am really in a very bad mood tonight, so maybe tomorrow I will feel a little better.  I have had 3 fills and think I am at my sweet spot, but the weight just WILL NOT COME OFF!!!

Susie

Allergan 10 cc band:  First fill: 4cc'c  9/8/08   Second fill: .9cc's  10/13/08  
Third fill:  1cc  2/11/09....   Total in band -- 5.9cc's   Very slooooow weight loss!

BW- 273 /  CW -250 /  GW- 170     Total weightloss to date:  23 lbs. ( in 10 months )  Sept. 22, '09-- Had .2 cc's removed from my band.  Slowly gaining back the weight.  Up 10 lbs. CW- 260  Lapband not working for me!

SHIRLQ
on 1/31/10 3:29 am, edited 1/31/10 3:30 am - MARSHFIELD, MO
I had lap band 15 months ago .I have had 12 fills in my 10cc band I am at about 7.7 .It always looks good .when I get my fill.ed in the xray . She thinks I will have to come back for unfill. but never feel to full. And still can eat any think I want.but I do not .I try to eat right. I lose 23 pound .Not sure what is wrong with me .I had one time when it was working and loss 12 pounds when stopped working again. I feel bad ,but do not know what to do .Please help
Ethelmae123
on 6/5/16 5:02 pm

Has anyone contacted Allergan about their health problems due to the lap band. If so what was Allergans response. 

JeannieBVA1
on 4/2/09 12:53 pm
Sorry your having such a hard time.... I'm just curious to know what your Dr. has to say about it?  
Denise M.
on 4/2/09 10:51 pm - Marysville, WA
 I had the lap band surgery in April of 08 and have not successfully lost any weight.  I have been beating myself up for a year over this.  I've never had the restriciton others have had despite numerous fills.  Last week, my nurse recommended I have a fill under fluroscope which I did.  When I drank the barium, we discovered that my band was way too loose.  The barium just swooshed right through.  The nurse added 2ccs to my 11 cc band which is a huge amount.  No wonder I never felt full for more than an hour! 
After the fill, I stayed on liquids for a few days.  The band was then too tight and I had to go have an unfill.  They took .8ccs out and now i have the restriction I've always looked for.  I'm finally hopeful that I will now start losing the weight I'm so desperate to lose.
I hope this helps.

~Denise

Denise Macklin
282/265/165

(deactivated member)
on 4/4/09 6:49 am - AZ
On April 3, 2009 at 5:51 AM Pacific Time, Denise M. wrote:
 I had the lap band surgery in April of 08 and have not successfully lost any weight.  I have been beating myself up for a year over this.  I've never had the restriciton others have had despite numerous fills.  Last week, my nurse recommended I have a fill under fluroscope which I did.  When I drank the barium, we discovered that my band was way too loose.  The barium just swooshed right through.  The nurse added 2ccs to my 11 cc band which is a huge amount.  No wonder I never felt full for more than an hour! 
After the fill, I stayed on liquids for a few days.  The band was then too tight and I had to go have an unfill.  They took .8ccs out and now i have the restriction I've always looked for.  I'm finally hopeful that I will now start losing the weight I'm so desperate to lose.
I hope this helps.

~Denise

2cc really isn't a huge amount when you consider that most doctors do fills 3cc at a time until they start getting close.  Then they do smaller fills until a sweet spot.  That's another reason for fills under fluoro.

judex
on 4/4/09 9:27 am
 Hi
I had a lap band done in Oct. '07.
Did not work at all for me.
Now I am having it removed and a bypass done on June 2nd.

jude
Denise M.
on 4/4/09 11:11 am - Marysville, WA
Hi Jude,

I'm so sorry your band didn't work out.  I'm also really glad you are going to get the bypass.  I'm sure you will have much better results.  It seems to be more successful.  Good luck with your surgery!

Denise

Denise Macklin
282/265/165

annajacq
on 4/6/09 12:36 pm - Blaine , WA
  I had a lap band done March 08. It's been slow but I have lost some weight every month and am down 61 pounds just over 1 yr.
  I have a freind who did what you are doing and found out that she was not going to her dr on a reg basis so was not getting fills and not really talking to them about what was going on.
  I know for me it took a long time- almost the whole year  to finally get to the"sweet spot". I felt frustrated a lot knowing I could eat an 8 oz steak and veggies and feel ok. But slowly I got there. 
  Then I slowed down because I was not eating enough! Of course it has to be the right food and I am concentrating on eating enough proteitn.
   Remember the band will never be as fast as a bypass. It's discouraging hearing about 50 pounds in 4 weeks ect.  But that is not the surgery you had.
  Keep going in every month and you will get to the right spot. Remember this is a journey, it's not magic. You still have to work at it.
  Keep it up, and watch your food choices.
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wuW2fR0/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wuW2fR0/weight.png">>
Most Active