lap band failure

Skayr
on 7/5/11 1:13 pm
I had lap band surgery in April 2010. I had a lot of swelling and lost 20lb right away. But when the swelling came down I no longer had the restriction and I stopped losing. After 8 fills I still had no restriction. At my last fill I was told I must be eating the wrong things and my lack of restriction ignored. I became very depressed and gained.

After reading some of the posts here I realize that I need to stand up for myself and find a dr who will listen and investigate why I feel little or no restriction. If everything is ok with the band then maybe it is not the right tool for me much as I would hate to admit that.

So you are certainly not alone. Please don't give up on yourself. Insist on finding out if there is a problem or not before assuming it is you!
epurple84
on 8/4/13 9:20 am - MD

I had the lap band surgery several years ago and had vomiting as a result and I did not lose any weight so I had all the fluid removed from the band. I am on 3 different medications including insulin that cause weight gain and I am seeking new solutions for  losing weight. Hope to hear from you and I am sorry to hear about your situation. I would have been thrilled t o  lose 30 pounds though.

jojos512
on 4/3/14 1:00 pm - Commack, NY

I had my lap band placed Sept, 2010 and it has been nothing but a failure causing depression and embarrassment.  I have gone in for my fills never seeing the doctor always the PA's each one with a different reason why I am not losing weight.  I originally lost 16 pounds and have since put it all back on.  I never feel full I can eat more than one slice of pizza, a half a sandwich, I eat my protein first vegetables second. 

I was told to keep a diary and show it to the nutritionist which I did all she said is it is not filled enough you should be able to eat this much.  So back to the PA who states it is filled enough not eating the right choices.  I have given up.  I have contacted another surgeon to seek help he never even returned a phone call.  I vomit, I feel sick my family wants me to have it removed for it is not doing anything but having me run to the bathroom to vomit.  I have not gone back to my original surgeon for I do not want to hear different reasons to why this is not working.  but reading the numerous posts it may not be my failure but the bands failure.

I work in a health insurance company and we had a meeting with a bariatric surgeon and she finally admitted the band has had a high failure rate and individuals are opting to have it removed and RNY done.  I am thinking of it.  My BMI is still at 38.8 I have accomplished nothing but depression.  I will keep you updated

fedaamaria
on 2/19/11 1:02 am - kallithea, Greece
i make the lap band surgery on 1.july.2010...i lost 20 pound first week after the surgery;after that..i regained all the lost weight...lots of anger and disappointing....feeling of failure...lost dreams and hopes....i still ups and down...forcing my self to diet..then back more worse than before...i didnt loose weight and iam angry.
Most Active