Reverse RNY?

zipchick
on 10/9/09 4:12 am
Has anyone ever heard of a failed RNY where the surgeon had to reverse the surgery?  I do not mean that the patient lost the weight and gained it back or went from one type of surgery to another.
Thanks
zippy

Enter

Waterwench
on 10/11/09 8:33 am - portland, OR
I've never heard of such a thing. My sister did have to have a "stomach clip" removed because of constant vomiting, but that was back in 1984, I think. It was the precursor to the lapband.

"Fall down 7 times--STAND UP 8!"

Ara Keshishian
on 11/14/09 2:08 am - Glendale, CA
 Hello,
This is a non specific answer to your non specific questions.
There are a number of reasons whey and RNY is reversed.  Mostly for patients that suffer the complications of the RNY such as dumping syndrome, solid intolerance, marginal ulcers, iron deficiency etc.

Ara Keshishian, MD, FACS, FASMBS
[email protected]
www.dssurgery.com

panda1alp
on 9/15/12 12:12 pm - plessis, NY
hello,
  My name is amanda and i have heard that it can be done. actually my d.r has told me i have to have it done but its rough waters bc hes has never actually had to do one so im a little iffy on that. i had my surgery march 14 2012 and three days later i started to go down hill getting very sick from march to june i spent over 50 days in the hospital. one stay was 15 days and my dr is 3hrs away so my kids were not happy. my new stomach actually closed up and i needed it streached twice then the third time is when they found an ulcer. but in may i had to have a feeding tube put in 2 weeks later i had to have it surgical put back in 3 weeks after that it fell out in the middle of the night and was to long everything closed back up again and had to have it surgical put back in again i do also have a marginal ulcer.  solid intolerance is a big issue. my dr. wants me to try to keep eating hope that one time it will just work well i cant even eat a bite of food with out my chest hurting about right where the new stomach would be. i was in so much pain the other night i was in a ball on my bed in tears for 2 hrs two days later iwas still in pain just not enough to put me in tears so my dr. office said go to the closest er so i did they said probly gas. of course this hospial near me knows nothing about these surgeries thats why i have to drive 3hrs away. i am just so over getting sick i try something new and i get sick then i laydown and i will be down for hours. around my tube always stinks even with putting meds on it that the dr office told me to get from the store it bleeds every morning i wake up with dry blood draindown my belly and wet yuck blood around under the plastic around my tube. and its so sore around my tube i just wi**** to be over.. my kids wi**** to be over.. i cant work i had to stop going to college and feel like crap all the time im always dehydrated oh and after my 2 tube surgery a week later i had to go back for a blood transfution i was down 2 and having dr try to shove a tube in a hole that is closed up isnt the best either then after it starts bleeding so much it looks like u have a gun shot they finally say oh we cant get it back in. well anyway i know this was alot more then u asked about but my dr has told me the last 3 visits next visit we will talk about setting u up for surgery to reverse it but he also tells me EVEN AFTER THE REVERSAL I MAY NOT BE ABLE TO EAT STILL AND WILL STILL ALWAYS NEED THE FEEDING TUBE!!!!!!!!!!
ljordan2660
on 4/14/10 11:44 pm
Dr,
Could you please elaborate more about RNY reversal? Are the vitamin deficiencies fixed after reversal? Do you know of anyone in Ohio that performs reversals of RNY? Tell me about the complications, healing time etc.
Thank You,
Lisa
Most Active