Please don't blame yourself if your RnY failed you

beemerbeeper
on 5/21/11 7:43 am - AL
Because we now have science to explain why.

www.lenoxhillhospital.org/press_releases.aspx

USAF Wife
on 5/25/11 5:50 am
I knew I loved my pyloric valve for more than 1 reason ! ! !

Thanks for sharing.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

slsattig
on 5/25/11 6:18 am - Stafford, VA
VSG on 05/11/11 with
 Great to see those results.  I am only 2 weeks out of my sleeve, but am already loving life.

OldMedic
on 5/31/11 2:41 am - Alvaton, KY
I would also suggest that you go to Google and type in the following:  Long term results with the gastric bypass

There are many, many problems showing up with the RnY long term, including (but not limited to):  Erosion of the intestines (which means they are being disolved away), ulceration of the intestines; long term severe vitamin and mineral deficiencies (even when taking supplements), etc, etc., etc..

The reason for this is that the intestines were set up to process foods in a particular way.  The bypass (and the DS) both rearrange the intestinal tract, and they disrupt the natural manner of dealing with nutrients.  Portions of the intestines that are NOT designed to deal with certain substances are now requitred to do so.

The long term result is a breakdown in the system,  You can not replace erroded intestines.  Once this happens, they are permanently eroded and they do NOT recover.  This is also a precursor to cancer, by the way.

I am simply amazed by the number of people that have weight loss surgery, without doing ANY independant research on their own.
A former Army Medic (1959-1969), Registered Nurse (1969-2000), College Instructor (1984-1989) and a retired Rehabilitation Counselor.  I am also a dual citizen of the USA and Canada.

High Weight 412 lbs.                    Date of Surgery 360.5                                 Present  170 lbs   

rosebaggs
on 6/23/11 1:46 am - KY
Hi OldMedic-

Which surgery did you have?  And, do you feel you made the right decision or would you have chosen another procedure?  You mentioned in your post above that once the intestines erode there is no repair....what does that mean for that indivudal?  What are they forced to do to deal with that?
cabram5
on 7/25/11 9:39 am - Humble, TX
I  had the RNy and I haven't ha any problems. I think individulas have problems because of some underlying problems that alread existed. If you follow your surgeons advice and stay in constant communication with your primary DR. You shouldn't ave any problems.
CriscoNinja
on 1/5/12 11:29 pm
DS on 06/05/12
 Please share your sources for the intestional erosion?  I can't seem to find a definitive answer in my googling.
Well I used to have a link here, but you know how that goes...
Jayne
on 7/7/11 10:14 pm - Swiftwater, PA
I too did not achieve expected rsults from my RNY.   spent alot of time on thereapist's  couch to get my headon straight about this.   For the past six months, I have been workign one on one with a health coach under a strictly supervise meal plan... Reasults are fantastic.   I have lost all the weight I regained   and  losing even mor to get to ultimate goal!!!!!

BUt, i still have a 'dialated stoma' and my insurance company has denied the recommended band over to correct it.   I"m cautiously watching for any other adverse symptoms 9gastric ulcers etc....).....

Thanks for the links.....
cabram5
on 7/25/11 9:35 am - Humble, TX
What did you do to get back on track with your weight loss. One one of my support grooup members has regained some weight sinc e her RNY in September 09. Can you share what you did to get bck to loosing the weight you regained. Any information you give would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks 
Joy_72
on 7/10/11 3:20 am - Ridgeway, VA
Thank you so much for posting this. : )
~~Joy~~
Most Active