Failed sleeve - DS or bypass next?

foodlover
on 1/30/12 3:30 am
The Dr. says bypass but he doesn't do the DS.  I am one year out and I have lost 60 something pounds.  Others who got the surgery at the same time are WAY father along with WL than me.  If there are any sleevers out their who think they have a "failed" sleeve, why do you think that happened?  What does your dr say?  Would you move forward with a bypass or ds?  Thanks.
acbbrown
on 1/30/12 3:12 pm - Granada Hills, CA
 Can I just ask why you think your sleeve has failed? I read through your blog and it doesn't seem like you really believe this.... And you were still able to recently lose 6 lbs in 1 week?

Are you on a PPI? Other acid reducers? My acid reflux causes me to be starving but if I chew on tums it usually goes away. 

Before you start looking into a revision before you even hit a year out, I'd recommend working with a nutritionist if you're not, and if you haven't, seek help for your self described food addition. 

You had some medical problems that could be contributing to your slow weight loss as well so I'm not sure a revision is necessarily the answer. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

foodlover
on 1/31/12 2:26 am
My Dr. said it is no longer working for me which is why I consider it a "failed" sleeve.  On my blog, I do feel the same way, I am just hopeful with Exercise.  Not the sleeve.  My first week working out I did lose weight.  I have not lost actively  lost weight with my sleeve since I was 5 months out.  My Dr. took me off the PPI when I was 6 months out.  I did see a NUT and my ins. no longer covers it but she tried all she could try and nothing started my WL again which is why the Dr said I will have to revise to something else.  I am dealing with my food addiction just fine.  I don't give in to that and I have done everything the NUT and dr. have said.  The medical problem I do have is PCOS and like my blog said, it is curable with the bypass which is why that is a consideration.
hwag5149
on 5/17/12 1:00 am
I know this is old but I just want to chime in and say that PCOS is absolutely not curable by having RNY. There is a message board called Soul Cysters for people with PCOS and an area specifically for PCOSer who have had WLS and they do not get "cured" but the significant weight loss does decrease their symptoms. I believe the misunderstanding lies in the fact that RNY tends to "cure" MOST cases of diabetes and most PCOSer are insulin resistant. There is a lot more to PCOS than insulin resistance. Getting rid of insulin resistance is not going to magically cure your PCOS. If that was the case then all you'd have to do is take metformin and you wouldn't have PCOS anymore.

HW 380.8+  SW- 371.4  CW- 234.4  GW- 200 

sldierswife
on 2/3/12 5:57 am
I only lost 60lbs so far as well but it's all my fault. My restriction pain went away and I was starting to eat more and more often and just because I couldn't didn't mean I should. I was told before surgery that my ADD was going to cause me to fail if I wasn't medicated but I didn't listen. I didn't want to be on meds I hate taking meds I just started back on meds for my ADD and Im already losing again and I can feel more restriction than before because I can focus better.

I don't think my insurance would cover a revision so I'm going to actually listen to my dr. This was my fault and with a revision it would just happen all over again. I'm not looking for a way to lose my weight I'm looking for a way to keep it off., I believe I have finally figured out my problem. Not being able to focus on a meal plan and impulsiveness was getting the best of me. I hope you find out what brings you back as well so that you to can be "cured" xoxox

Melissa
 HW 298 SW 281

sfmini
on 2/8/12 8:11 am
I was working on getting a revision to a DS but I decided after talking to the doc to focus on the job at hand and maybe, I am wrong about my calorie calculations. So, I did the 5 day pouch reset and then met with the dietitian and put a plan together. I log everything that I eat, eat six meals a day and so far down 12 pounds in 2 weeks. I plan to keep on this to see if I stall again once the weight gained is gone or hopefully keeps going.
Basically the doc said if I failed with the sleeve I would fail with the DS or any other revision. It's the old calories in, calories out.
If I do go for a revision, I will go for the DS since the RNY only causes you to malabsorb for 2 years at most.

foodlover
on 2/8/12 8:19 am
How many calories are on your plan?  Are you counting carbs?  Thanks!
sfmini
on 2/8/12 8:25 am
She has me at 1100 - 1200, wants 150 carbs, 80 protein, 50gr fat, less than 50gr of sugars, at least 50 of fiber.
I aim for less than that in the calorie and carbs though but she said the brain needs 100 gr of carbs to function.

foodlover
on 2/8/12 8:41 am
thats what my nut said :)
frisco
on 3/12/12 10:13 pm
On February 8, 2012 at 4:25 PM Pacific Time, sfmini wrote:
She has me at 1100 - 1200, wants 150 carbs, 80 protein, 50gr fat, less than 50gr of sugars, at least 50 of fiber.
I aim for less than that in the calorie and carbs though but she said the brain needs 100 gr of carbs to function.

Not trying to hijack this thread.....just thought I would add my experience in the hopes it would help.

I can tell you for sure that I would never had made goal on those numbers.

1200 cals is about my baseline in maintenance and use 80 grams carbs as a ceiling.

In over 2.5 years on the VSG board I/we have seen a large number of sleeve patients on 1200 calorie plans pretty much run into a brick wall at about 5-6 months.

Here is my understanding..... as you lose weight your body adjusts and runs more officiant and doesn't need to work as hard cause it has less of your body to move around.

This is kind of a goofy example....but hear me out.....say you have lost 60lbs. on 1200 cals a day and your WL gradually slowed down. Now your frustrated because your eating the same or a little more than you did when you were losing weight......but your WL has stopped.

Now......continue your 1200 cal program.......but now put a 60lbs. Backpack on and carry it 24-7
Do you think you will be burning more calories and your WL would resume?

What I had found out was that I had to start eating on the lower side of my 600-800 cal program and increase my walking as well as keeping protein and fluids up to lose my last weight.

Hope this helps.......

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Most Active