Lap band out one year-really looking for input

Liz345
on 7/29/13 1:40 am

Brief history.  (atleast brief as I can).  Had a band placed in 2007.  Went from 260 to 164.  Loved it.  Felt like a whole new person.  DId really well on the diet at first but then old habits came creeping back.  Diet soda, sugar etc.  I had some reflux and slowly couldn't eat enough healthy food to maintain any energy (meats, veges, fruit) so I resorted to sliders to keep full.  Despite this I still exercised and remained between 170-180 for 5 years.  Reflux was progressively worse.  I often woke in the morning feeling horrible, later finding that I had aspirated all night and ran these low grade fevers because of it.  I loved being "thin"(still think i was technically overweight).  I could finally shop at normal stores.  Had clothes in size 12 that fit year after year after year. Then the reflux got too bad, the band had slipped and was removed.

I tried from the beginning to keep from gaining.  I exercised, I tried weigh****chers, ketogenic shake diets, low carb, diet pills etc,, but I couldn't get control on my hunger.  I just kept eating.  Granted I had an insatiable appetite before the band, which is why I got it.  The depressing thing to me is that I thought I had changed.  I identified with this size 12 person.  I had moved shortly after i got the band so my whole life started over being thin.  Now I have gained back to 235 in 11 months.  People I know (that don't know i had the band) keep asking me if I am pregnant....I don't think to be rude, I think that is the only explanation they can come up with why I put on so much weight so suddenly. 

Anyway here I am married to an incredibly healthy person who thinks getting surgery is a weakness.  It is because I want the easy way out.  (he's not a jerk, just healthy himself and doesn/t understand overeating).  I am embarrassed to be around anyone because I worry what they think.  I have tried   I really have.  I am now facing vsg vs. rny despite my husbands protest.  (he also points out that now I have two children and why would a risk a surgery that although low risk could lead to many complications that may end up ending my life).  I don't know what to do....stay the way I am, keep trying (before the band I did intensive therapy, multiple diets etc.), get the surgery?, which one if I do?, what if I get one of the surgeries and have to have more surgeries, and fail these too?  ..........any input from someone who has been in a similar situation would be greatly appreciated

thanks!.

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/30/13 5:00 am

Get VSG.  I think it would be a life saver for you. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Ashley in Belgium
on 8/1/13 8:03 pm, edited 8/1/13 8:03 pm - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

It is so hard when you have this surgery - and do very initially - to deal with the regain!  My husband doesn't get it either - the overeating, wanting WLS, etc.  He is very thin (155 lbs) and always has been.  

There is no shame in saying the Band isn't working and looking into a revision.  I am having a revision to RNY next week after living with the Lap Band for over 7 years.  Don't be discouraged.  You can make a change for the better!  Keep looking to this site for help and information and inspiration.  There's lots to be found and it is usually generously given!

Ashley 

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

danixbanani
on 8/6/13 5:49 am - NY
VSG on 10/12/12 with

Honestly, and this might sound harsh, but who cares what your husband thinks?  Is he going to leave you if you DO have surgery?  If he is, then he's not worth being married to, IMO.  And while he might not be supportive now, maybe once he sees what a life changer surgery will be for you then his mindset will also change.

I had the band in 2008, only lost 50lbs and then the complications started, then I gained everything back and then some.  I lasted with it until 2012 when I finally had enough.  I had enough of getting food "stuck" and throwing it back up, I had enough of ruining dates with my husband, ruining dates with friends, ruining dinner parties ETC because of this, I had enough of the reflux, enough enough enough!

I was so embarrassed that I gained the weight back and I fell into a deep depression feeling like I "failed" WLS when in reality the surgery failed ME.  I don't need to tell you why lapband sucks, you know it as well as I do.  I revised to the sleeve in October 2012 and I haven't looked back...not one, single, regret.  That isn't to say that people don't have complications, they DO, but it sounds like you're not too far gone with the band that you'll have terrible complications.  I've lost just about 80lbs in 10 months and I'm still going strong.

A good point to make to your husband about surgery, if you get the sleeve, is that they are removing only FUNDUS which the only real function of the fundus is to stretch to fit more food and produce ghrelin which is the hunger hormone.  Who the heck needs that?  Also, point out to him that you will have more energy, live longer, be more active, eat healthy WHOLE foods but still be able to indulge every now and then...what's wrong with that? 

I wish you luck friend, PM me if you want any more info about band-to-sleeve revisions.

band to sleeve revision and loving life!

You do you, and I'll do me

(deactivated member)
on 8/24/13 3:07 pm - AZ
VSG on 10/17/13
first of all, let me say I feel your pain!!! I haven't posted yet on here, I'm kind of a lurker, but your post moved me to speak up.

I also had a band. I was at 321 when it was put in in May of 2010 and lost 124 pounds. Got down to 197 - below 200 for the first time in my adult life. I too, was lovin life. Then that band slipped and my doc took it out. That was in November of 2012. I also tried to keep the weight off. Exercise, paleo, keto, fast metabolism diet.. no cheating.. but the weight just came back. I am now back to 40 lbs less than my starting point... in 9 months. so beyond ridiculous.

When I brought up bypass, my SO also believed that surgery was not the way to go. He actually said he wouldn't guarantee he would stick around if I did it. Twice by the way, so he meant it... I sat him down and told him that whether or not he was behind me, I was going to pursue it . .FOR ME and my kids. He agreed to come with me to the seminar, under duress, but he came. By the time we left he was on board. He liked the surgeon who led the seminar (paleo follower, very cool doc) and wanted me to pursue the VSG. Had my consultation on Friday and have started the process.

The reason I responded to you is because you hit a nerve with me... have you asked him to at least research with you? attend the seminar or something similar? I told my SO that the girl he loves is not this fat girl. She's the one that can go swimming because she's not embarrassed and does not break down crying because her clothes aren't fitting any more. She's also the one that can ride a bike or go running with our 6 year old. He finally gets it. He knows that I am damned and determined to do it and that I deserve it.. and so do you sister..so do you!

Good luck to you!!!!
Amy, Daredevil
Extraordinaire

on 8/26/13 4:44 pm - Los Angeles, CA
DS on 08/06/13

My boyfriend was against the surgery at first. He felt it was too drastic and that I should be able to lose the weight on my own. I told him, if I could do it on my own, I would have been thin for the past 20 years! 

Ultimately, I decided to do the surgery for ME, regardless of what anyone else thought. If your boyfriend is anything like mine, he will be okay with it. Maybe your bf has some hidden fears. My bf was worried that my personality would change (like I would become an horrific ***** if I can't eat the things I really want to eat. I must admit that I get cranky when I'm hungry, so I can see where this fear comes from LOL.)

As for what type of surgery to get, I suggest researching all types of bariatric surgery. The duodenal switch (DS) was the best choice for me. Do your research and consult with surgeons that offer all types so that he/she can help you decide which one is best for you.

*DS with Dr. Ara Keshishian on 08/06/13* SW: 231 CW: 131 GW: 119 * Check out My YouTube Channel: AmysDSJourney *

MSSEXXC74
on 8/27/13 2:40 am

I am now trying to revise from the RNY to DS. Well the band from what i hear doesn't control appetite.  If you have one of the altering surgeries it will help to control hunger.  I believe with sleeve the take out the part of the stomach that creates hunger and restricts the amount you can eat.  With the RNY it alters the ability to eat and the amount of calories you actually get from eating.  The RNY is said that the part of not getting all of your calories only last completely for 18 months  The DS is said to combine the best of the 2 surgeries it is the sleeve with a more permanent time of not absorbing the calories. People who have never had a weight issue do not understand why obese people don't just stop eating.  what they don't take in to consideration that with some people they are predisposition to just gain weight.  A lot of obese people eat less then thin people but due to the fact obese peoples metabolism is not that of a skinny person.  The very very thin people that I know can eat obese people under the table. I mean really put away some food and never gain an ounce. Its because their metabolism is always burning making it where they need to eat.  Only  you know what decision you can live with. The fact that you can only really eat slider foods means that their is a problem with your tool.  I am currently seeking a revision because I too can only eat slider food and solids come up as soon as they go down.  You are the one that has to live with your decision. Don't let anyone make you feel bad.  You should go back to your bariatric doctor and get an EDG so they can see whats going on in your tummy.  especially since you have that band. I would hate to see another posting buy you like others on here saying you damage due to the band.  You and your husband could try a win win situation.  The insurance company will likely require 3 to six months of a consecutive diet.  You could get on a supervised diet for 3 months so that you  meet your rrequirement for insurance approval.  that way you show your husband diets don't work.  At the end of the 3 months go and start your process for insurance approval.  Good luck

Rhonda53
on 12/15/14 5:40 pm

Have seizures now bcuz of LB. Doctors will not admit it but see the others like me.  Never had b4 and does not run in family. Really upset about it. 

Randarenee

AngelaLynn11
on 7/12/15 11:12 am

Give him this to read

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/diet-exercise-treatment-for-obese-patients/

Angela 

~Banded 7/2007, removal and revision needed.

HW 325; Lap-band 2007; LW 225; GW: 150

Most Active