Glad to see others in my position

krhanson0222
on 8/19/13 10:18 am - MI

Hello,

I used to be a member, but apparently my account was deactivated or something - either way.  I had a VSG 4.5 years ago, highest weight was 340, lowest was 192 (right after I had my tummy tuck).  Now, I am sitting at about 230, and I am increasingly frustrated.  I have come back here looking for tips, stories, accountability, and support.

I have a few things going for me that will hopefully help motivate me:   I have a very helpful therapist, who I started seeing for non WLS issues, but lately this has been so impactful to my happiness that we are solely focused on figuring out what my triggers are, and changing my behavior (like we figured out that while I can go all day without more than a small meal, as soon as 3-4 in the afternoon hits, I HAVE to eat, and don't stop for the night - why? Because of school!  K-12, I wouldn't eat much all day, but gorge at home - when she suggested it, it made so much sense, anyone agree?) 

Next, I have a great PCP and she listened to my concerns last week, and put me on Wellbutrin, to help get me out of the funk that I'm in, but also because it is very stimulating and people tend to lose weight quickly after being on it - anyone out there have any experience with Wellbutrin?

Next, I have a hiatal hernia, and I will be meeting w my surgeon to discuss the repair on Friday, I am going to ask him if we can do some more skin removal (that's how I got my tummy tuck covered - it was done at the same time as a diff hernia).  If he agrees, I know that will push me even harder. 

I just can't stop eating.  I love sweets.  They are my downfall.  I feel like a failure.  Any words of wisdom?

enufisenuf
on 8/20/13 7:09 am - Gold Hill, OR

Sounds like you are on the right track.  I, too, have regained weight from my surgery.  Had RNY 3 years ago, got to very near goal about 10 months later, maintained for more than a year then got an intestinal bug while traveling last summer.  Was on a variety of antibiotics etc and within 4 months or so gained back 40+ lbs.  I thought, no problem, will just go back to basics and it will come off because of the "tool".  Here I am 9 months later still trying to get off those lbs & have lost only about 3#.  BMI is 29 so, no this isn't where my body is comfortable.  Have had stomach problems since before my surgery so am scheduled for another gastroscope next month.  What I think is really significant is that you sort of lose your confidence like all the other diets.  I had really gotten at ease with how to control my weight with the surgery and now none of my tricks really work.  It feels like a head game again trying to figure out what I am doing wrong.  I am sure it is in a large part physiologic but difficult to convince myself to keep at it. Support groups are great if you have one in your area.  I also checked into the forum Back on Track for more ideas on how to get back to Square 1 (or 2 ,3 or 4).  I see you had a tummy tuck. I did also and while I really was pleased with the results, it kind of changed how I felt about the attention.  Wish there were more therapists who had gone down the road we have and could relate to all the real and potential issues we deal with each day.  I certainly wasn't prepared to have my hunger come back..thought it would be gone for good.  Guess I should have read the fine print.  If the medication works, would be glad to know it. Hope you keep us posted on your progress.     

lurknomore
on 8/20/13 9:47 pm

Girl! You are not a failure. You lost a ton of weight with your tool and you can do it again.

I was one of the unfortunate ones that never lost the weight. I weighed 258 on surgery day(after losing 9 pounds on liquid diet). I only lost down to 221 and then just stopped losing. I felt so cheated since I could only eat a tiny, tiny amount and my body still wouldn't let go of the weight.

It's been 3 years since my surgery and the lowest I've been is 208. Now, I weigh around 218, but I'm working on getting the last 50 pounds off. I don't really get stomach hunger, but I struggle daily with head hunger. I eat extremely healthy, except I binge on sweet stuff. I can eat a ton of cookies aka slider foods, but only a little protein.

I'm trying to completely remove sugar from my diet and eat protein first again. I'm adding in some protein shakes to get my daily intake up. They still make me nauseous, but I can make myself drink them slowly.

Get back to basics and I bet you will lose the weight again.

Oh! how I'd love to get under 200!!

krhanson0222
on 8/21/13 3:50 am - MI
I know!! Isn't it hard when the bad stuff goes down the easiest?? It seems like sabotage to me!
I can't even imagine how hard this must be for you.
I know that I need to get back to basics, but its so much easier said than done. The first time, it was "easier" (using that word very loosely) because I couldn't physically eat anything other than basics. Now its like "okay, so I have to give up real food, eating out, having a social life, etc"...boo. I thought I was going to be able to eat normally, that's why I had the sleeve. But once I eat one bad thing, its a horrible snowball of binging. And I know this, and the self awareness helps, but it doesnt solve the cravings.
I guess I'm just having a hard time getting a grip on how hard this is (maintaining and losing a smaller amount). It was so much simpler when I was right out of surgery.
Lol, now I feel like I'm just ranting. Thank you for sharing your story w me. Do you have any special tools or recipes that you use all the time?
lurknomore
on 8/21/13 9:49 pm, edited 8/21/13 9:50 pm

The truth is I grew very tired of eating well and not losing, so in April of this year, when I was at my lowest weight of 212.6 I gave up and have been eating anything and everything I want. I gained back to 221 and now am 218.

If I cut out ALL sugar and carbs I do lose weight. I have issues with head hunger. Carbs make me feel good (gives me a high really) for a short period , but then I feel awful. I don't sleep as well, wake up feeling sluggish and bloated, but it's very hard to get off them again.

I have started back on shakes this week in an effort to reduce/eliminate carbs from my diet. I've asked my husband to please not reward me with food, especially sweets. He knows how much I like them and unknowingly sabotages me. He didn't realize it until I told him. I asked him to be good to me with something non-edible. :-))

IMHO, the only way to get back on track is to get drastic for a few days. Going cold turkey works best for me. I can't eat a little sugar, cause it makes me want more and more. I cannot control myself. One cookie leads to 2, then 3, then the entire pack. Sorry, but that's me.

It will be hard, but today I went back on liquids....trying to do only liquids for at least 3 days. Once I get the carbs out of my system and stay away from them. it's physically easier for me....again mentally is my big issue. I WANT carbs and sugar.....I DO NOT NEED them.

I am an ADDICT.

You can message me for my email address and we can support each other.

nedsmehlp
on 8/27/13 1:46 am - Hutchinson, KS

You sound EXACTLY like me.  I am sooooo addicted to sweets!  I can't control it!  You're luckier than me, I lost 182 lbs and gained back 110 lbs!  I've been looking into different diets and the DS and getting more and more confused on what to do!!  The more I look the more I don't know what to do.  I'm going to my VSG surgeon and see if he can point me in the right direction. 

Jacob H.
on 8/21/13 3:20 pm, edited 8/21/13 3:24 pm - CA

Wellbutrin works good, but make sure it's not the extended release tablet (XR). The XR tablets don't work although, not sure about other WLS's

MSSEXXC74
on 8/27/13 2:11 am

Maybe you can go ahead and complete the rest of the surgery for the DS.  You already have the sleeve part of it.  I think they say that when people with the sleeve do not loose enough weight they go ahead and complete the DS which is the malabsorption [art of the sleeve. Especially since you like to eat. You could eat and not be getting the full affect of the calories.  Go to the DS board.

hope123
on 9/18/13 2:01 pm, edited 9/18/13 2:04 pm - MO

I've been told that's why some surgeons suggest the gastric bypass for patients who have a huge sweet tooth and have a hard time staying away from things they shouldn't eat and crave, like sweets and pasta, because some people need the reinforcement of the "dumping" syndrome to keep them on track with their diet.  It makes a lot of sense to me now.  You don't get that feeling that you shouldn't be eating what you're eating from the VSG, which is why it's easier to gain weight back with the VSG.

ondria M.
on 9/30/13 12:30 am - cromwell, CT
RNY on 02/08/02 with

Hi,

I had gastric bypass 12 ears ago and wihin the past few years I put everything back on and I think more.

I decided I want to shrink my stomach again by starting over.

I pulled up this site and started my research and came across your posting. I can sooo relate to your frustration and I to continue to be hungry in my head and also can go all day and then at night have a bottomless pit.

I see your posting was from August, have you made any progress?

I know what I have to do but I am not sure what is stopping me.

I just have to DO IT! LOL

Thanks,

Ondria

Most Active